Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 19:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Another NFS Question (Remote Write Access)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
ozboomer

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov 2005, 06:17    Post_subject:  Another NFS Question (Remote Write Access)  

I have two computers both running Puppy (1.0.4, 1.0.5)... and I have some form of NFS working on each (they work reliably for what I generally need to do). Let's call the 'remote' computer 'pc2'.

Now, pc2 has a file /etc/exports containing:

/mnt/Win_C *(rw,sync)

I'll refer to this file as pc2:/etc/exports.

The pc2:/etc/hosts.allow and pc2:/etc/hosts.deny files are... 'appropriate' (I think) as I can mount the volume on the local PC; in an rxvt window, viz:

# mount pc2:/mnt/Win_C /mnt/linux3

...and I can browse the directories, etc via /mnt/linux3 but I can't write into any of those directories.

If, however, I alter the pc2:/etc/exports file entry as follows:

/mnt/Win_C *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

and reboot (or run exportfs -ra), I can then write into those /mnt/linux3 directories... not unsurprisingly.

I just want to know what should be done in terms of exporting/mounting the 'foreign volumes' so that I can write into them. As I understand it, it's probably a bad idea to have the 'no_root_squash' flag on the volume in the pc2:/etc/exports file... but how else do I "open up" access to the volume? I think this is something to do with the 'nobody' user, isn't it?

As I said, I have 'restricted' access to specific PCs via pc2:/etc/hosts.allow and pc2:/etc/hosts.deny, so non-trusted network computers are locked out (except for intruders who spoof their IPs)... but what to do about that 'no_root_squash' flag?

I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on NFS... but I was thinking this sort of question might be ironed out and documented a bit more as I understand static IP addressing (as well as the existing DHCP IP addressing) will be included in 1.0.7...

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov 2005, 06:34    Post_subject:  

You can already do static using ifconfig or the wizard.
ozboomer

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov 2005, 08:02    Post_subject:  

Anonymous wrote:
You can already do static using ifconfig or the wizard.

Quite true... but I read somewhere that one of the forum regulars was building something to switch between the two (just renaming the eth* file?). This is the situation I'm in sometimes, where I'm on-line and want to use the internet and then, I'll want to use a simple peer-to-peer connection with another PC in the same room. Having a means to 'push a button' and be working 'the other way' is just handy for us lazy programmers Smile

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov 2005, 09:47    Post_subject:  

Sounds a bit complicated to me, do what I do, get an old dunger and install a firewall on it, I use SmoothWall, run it through a modem and network through a cheap hub or switch.

That way you can have as many machines as you wish on the lan and all can access the internet.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum