Puppy 4.2 "Deep Thought" - Bugs & Fixes

Please post any bugs you have found
panzerpuppy

#61 Post by panzerpuppy »

WhoDo wrote:
panzerpuppy wrote:- Blinky and freememapplet are broken.
The patch doesn't help (see screenshots)
Freememapplet fails to show up in the tray.
See Official Patches & Updates thread. Patch posted there has been tested and works
Unfortunately,that patch doesn't work.
WhoDo wrote:
panzerpuppy wrote:- When taking a screenshot with MtPaint,the process isn't terminated after closing the MtPaint window.
You'll have to end it manually with Pprocess.
Not a Puppy 4.2 issue. Please report in the mtPaint development thread where developer Dmitry (wjaguar) will see it and respond.
Done :)

WhoDo wrote:
panzerpuppy wrote:- GPicView doesn't zoom a small picture to fit it to the window when the 'fit to window' option is enabled.The feature works only when the image is larger than the window.
Not an issue with Puppy 4.2 - please post your question in a separate thread for Gpicview. Developer Hairywill is on a sabatical, so you may have to wait or hope that one of the other devs will look into your issues. For most users the current Gpicview is perfectly functional.
Posted.
WhoDo wrote:
panzerpuppy wrote:- ALSA: the libs are updated to 1.0.19,but the mixer and the tools are still the old ones from 1.0.16.
NOT a "Bug". I have already told you that the 1.0.16 utilities are the latest I have available. When someone gets the urge to compile a later update we'll look at it.
I think synth has those compiled (for his 'Puppy Studio' puplet)
WhoDo wrote:
panzerpuppy wrote:- JWM is not updated
NOT a "Bug". Puppy has never promised to use the latest iteration of ANY package, including the window manager. Both Barry Kauler and I have elected to use what we know works for most people, whether that's the latest version or not. You are well aware - because I've told you before - that Patriot doesn't consider his JWM updates as stable enough yet for inclusion. Neither do I and they will only be included in an official release when the person bundling that release decides.
That is a bug, because one of the features of Puppy 4.2 (Fullscreen video support with Gxine / flash videos) doesn't work as advertised. The new (fixed) JWM solves that problem :)
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Mon 30 Mar 2009, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

trio

#62 Post by trio »

panzerpuppy wrote:
WhoDo wrote:
panzerpuppy wrote:- Blinky and freememapplet are broken.
The patch doesn't help (see screenshots)
Freememapplet fails to show up in the tray.
See Official Patches & Updates thread. Patch posted there has been tested and works
Unfortunately,that patch doesn't work.
really? aah, maybe you mean the first patch (using icewm's blinky) updated patch is using original older jwm's blinky..try it

ttuuxxx

#63 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi WhoDo remember when we were building 4.2 I said I compiled just about all the alsa package other than 1 I think, must of did about 5 or 6 of them. Then tempestuous stated that its not a good idea, because you have to patch the kernel and do other complicated things, So I never released any of the alsa files, so I would be hesitant to install any Alsa updates unless they were released by tempestuous or Barry, I did ask tempestuous to maybe compile the latest but nothing ever happened with that request.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

panzerpuppy

#64 Post by panzerpuppy »

trio wrote: updated patch is using original older jwm's blinky..try it
Woof woof! :D

gulk

network wizard

#65 Post by gulk »

Hi Whodo,
first of all, I have to applaud the achievement that 4.2 is. Congratulations to the whole team, requiring huge amount of talent, effort and arguments :wink:

I was discussing the RTL8187 (wifi chipset) problem with Dougal in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=555 thread.
Dougal suggested I post it here (actually that will make the third time I post this thing, 'coz I have a Monday morning case and can't think straight... :oops: I apologize for polluting other threads)

Basically, there are some changes in the network wizard that are not part of 4.2 for some reasons (here, the use of 'wext' for newer wifi drivers).
This is kind of important, because many will use by default the newer drivers and DeepThought won't connect if WPA or WPA2 is used as an encryption method.

~Gulk~

PS: for your convenience, I put the fix here, but there might be other changes in the network wizard that are not part of 4.2 that I am not aware of:
in /usr/sbin/wag_profile.sh

Code: Select all

r8180|r8187rtl8180|rtl8187|) CARD_WPA_DRV="ipw" ;;
rt61pci|rt73usb|rt2400pci|rt2500*|rt28[67]0*) CARD_WPA_DRV="wext" ;;
should be

Code: Select all

r8180|r8187) CARD_WPA_DRV="ipw" ;;
rt61pci|rt73usb|rt2400pci|rtl8180|rtl8187|rt2500*|rt28[67]0*) CARD_WPA_DRV="wext" ;;

This effectively solves the RTL8187 not connecting if WPA is used as an encryption method.

himajin

#66 Post by himajin »

vanchutr wrote:Is this crazy?
In Puppy 4.2RC4: I can use SCIM
In Puppy 4.2: SCIM is disable.
Anyone test this? Please give some instructions/comments? Thanks
We fixed it.
Copy "/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1" from RC4 to final.

We don't know why different RC4 and final.

RC4 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2489012 2007-10-22 19:58 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1
final -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3648240 2009-01-27 14:40 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1

And

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 62276 2009-03-30 21:16 libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 49652 2009-03-30 21:16 libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0.1200.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2489012 2009-03-30 21:15 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1

are different.
Team Puppy Linux Japanese Edition

Jim1911

#67 Post by Jim1911 »

ttuuxxx,
Jim1911 wrote:
ttuuxxx,

Thanks for compiling the full version of Homebank, I have wanted to use it also, however, only if it can import my data.

Sadly, it doesn't work. Running it in a terminal returns "/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found".

Jim

Can you also tell which part of homebank is giving you that error. It took a few packages to get it going, some wouldn't compile right so I substituted.
Then I compiled Homebank on 4.2 and that worked, its just a couple of dependencies that I had to use from other sources.
ttuuxxx
Sorry, don't have an oxf file to use since Homebank won't open and I haven't bothered to save my banking file in oxf format to try to import it. I'm using 4.2 final and Homeback won't open since installing your update, just gives the above error message.

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Mon 30 Mar 2009, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

8-bit

#68 Post by 8-bit »

WhoDo wrote:
8-bit wrote:This is a bug using sane...[snip]...
Checking dmesg in terminal shows segmentation faults of supporting libraries when trying to save.
Install "xsane-0.994-patched2" from PETget and report whether your problem is resolved by that action, thanks.
I installed that patch and also the DEV patch and tested again.
This time around, I was able to save a scanned image to a file.
Icon placement for both the desktop icons and the ones for Hotpup need to be looked at though.
It is not consistent between resolution changes.
When I look in /tmp/xerr.log (spelling?) It shows a number of configuration files not found and placement errors in some of the configuration files.

ttuuxxx

#69 Post by ttuuxxx »

Jim1911 wrote:
Sorry, don't have an oxf file to use since Homebank won't open and I haven't bothered to save my banking file in oxf format to try to import it. I'm using 4.2 final and Homeback won't open since installing your update, just gives the above error message.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim just unistall the package via petget, I don't see why it wouldn't work on your pc, I tried it on a fresh 4.2 and it worked perfectly, plus it workred on the pc I built it on. Well it opened and gave the options to import .oxf files.
Maybe you have a pupsave file thats messing thing up.
maybe try booting up with
puppy pfix=ram
that will bypass all pupsave files, and then install the pet and see if it works.
ttuuxxx

Stoil89

Personal storage file skipped

#70 Post by Stoil89 »

The personal storage file from Puppy 4.2 Retro, named pup_save-stoil89 inside puppy42 directory, is skipped every time both with and without the parameter psubdir=puppy42 on the laptop MSI Megabook EX-610X with the following configuration: CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD.
Other parameters from the kernel command line are:
kernel puppy42\vmlinuz
append initrd=puppy42\initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
timeout 50

Hope the problem will be resolved...

Jim1911

#71 Post by Jim1911 »

ttuuxxx,

Unstalled your update and copy in 4.2 now works, including ability to import.

Thanks,
Jim

rcrsn51

#72 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Stoil89: Have you tried using the standard name "pup_save.2fs"?

ricstef

HomeBank 4.0.2

#73 Post by ricstef »

Hey ttuuxxx,
You done good !!! :lol:
Your .pet work just fine, importing qfx files.

Thanks,
Richard

Stoil89

Personal storage file skipped

#74 Post by Stoil89 »

@rcrsn51: No, I haven't tried it with pup_save.2fs.

ttuuxxx

#75 Post by ttuuxxx »

Great guys glad its working for you now :)
ttuuxxx

Keef

Shutdown problems

#76 Post by Keef »

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but wot wiv this being the bugs thread, I'll repeat it here. Hope that's ok...

I have a frugal install on a Dell D610 laptop.
Shutdown doesn't work, and more recently had problems with reboot.
Screen goes black and system locks up - also happens when trying to change locale.
This laptop has run several varieties of Puppy before without problem.

[EDIT]
Mmm... Reboot not working, but just tried a shutdown and it worked correctly for the first time. No idea why (although I'm not complaining - if someone fixed it by the power of thought, I'm very grateful.)

trio

Re: Shutdown problems

#77 Post by trio »

Keef wrote:I've mentioned this elsewhere, but wot wiv this being the bugs thread, I'll repeat it here. Hope that's ok...

I have a frugal install on a Dell D610 laptop.
Shutdown doesn't work, and more recently had problems with reboot.
Screen goes black and system locks up - also happens when trying to change locale.
This laptop has run several varieties of Puppy before without problem.

[EDIT]
Mmm... Reboot not working, but just tried a shutdown and it worked correctly for the first time. No idea why (although I'm not complaining - if someone fixed it by the power of thought, I'm very grateful.)
which wm do you use? and could it be a broken download?

davesurrey

#78 Post by davesurrey »

On a 420 (not retro) frugal install to HDD, the following was observed.;

1. "Refresh Menus" produces a Network Connection Blinky at top left corner, do another Refresh and you get yet another set of Blinky, ad infinitum.
I reported this in one of the betas/RCs and ISTR it got fixed but looks like the fix didn't make it to the final release.

2. In PTray select hide then show a tray, more than once, and Blinkies come again.
I also reported this one before.

3. In Pwidgets select Plugins>Sidebar>Preview and the preview is just one horizontal line. No use at all.

4. Mounted a USB memory stick by double clicking on the desktop icon (intuitive). Nice green light. But right clicking on it and selecting Unmount (if currently mounted) nothing happens. Need to select Pmount again to manually unmount it.

Nothing life threatening so far but then....

5. The initial frugal install to Hdd failed. The reason was that when it asks to install from the CD it doesn't find any Puppy files as the CD is not auto-mounted by the Universal Installer. Again, something that I raised before but seems to have been ignored or forgotten. No problem for me but for a puppy or linux newbie it's a bad start.

There's lots that is good with 420 but I hope that 430 or whatever it's called will be less rushed and have a bit more attention paid to detail should the objective really be to capture folk other than the existing Puppy afficionados (if that has been an objective).

Dave

Ron

Problem booting 4.2 with more than one save file

#79 Post by Ron »

Hi, I posted this yesterday on the Beginners section, but it was suggested that I post it here.

I have been using 4.0 in my system successfully for some time, booting from CD with the save file on the Windows partition. I just ran 4.2 for the first time, and on shutdown, I named the 4.2 save file with a unique name, so the partition now has a 4.0 save file and a 4.2 save file with different names. When I first booted the 4.2 CD, with only the 4.0 save file on the partition, I allowed it to see the 4.0 save file and ask me if I wanted to upgrade, which I declined. It was my understanding that this is identical to typing in pfix=ram. When I did some configuring and then shutdown, I named the new 4.2 save file with a unique name.

The problem is that now when I boot 4.2, it asks which save file I want to use and identifies each one properly, but when I select my new 4.2 file, it gives the message that I am booting with a 4.2 disk, but trying to use the 4.0 save file and asks if I want to upgrade. It doesn't seem to recognize the 4.2 save file as such. It does the same with either file.

I want to build 4.2 fresh and do not want to upgrade, but I would like to have both available for awhile.

Is this a problem or I am doing something wrong?

I got a couple of suggested workarounds from the Beginners thread, but I haven't tried them yet.

Thanks

Keef

Shutdown / reboot and change locale cause lock-up

#80 Post by Keef »

I've done a few tests, and found that all the problems cease if I stop pwidgets.
Change locale now also works without locking up the computer.
Anyone else had this problem?

@Trio - JWM

USB Frugal install
Dell D610 laptop