PET MAKER - 2.3 - Oct 2014

Miscellaneous tools
tlchost

#76 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:
tlchost wrote: How can a real beginner with making pets/sfs create a pet or sfs from that tar file?
That depends...if the tar consist of ready to use compiled binary, then you just extarct it to it's right path, and use Pet_Maker to create pet or sfs (As advertised, Pet Maker is supposed to create sfs or pet from your own files)
Everything is in /opt/lampp

I tried petmaker....but when it told me to mark files individually, I threw my hands up, since there are over 600 files! Did I miss soem command that
would mark everything in /opt/lampp ?

So, I tried dir2sfs .... looks like it worked....but it doesn't load in at startup.
Then, I tried dir2pet .... made a pet file, but PetMaker did not convert it(May be the problem you indicated about issues with USB drive).

Thom

trio

#77 Post by trio »

tlchost

Try again, step by step
From Pet Maker - PET tab:

1. type in Directory name, click create directory
2. choose a directory (you can copy a whole directory at once), click add directory
3. click create pet

that's it

tlchost

#78 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote: Try again, step by step
I did...saw where I made a mistake.

I created a pet file and then an sfs file

They both appeared to be correct, till I loaded them in .... everything in the /opt/lampp seemed to work....but mysql didn't start....either via lampp or calling it standalone.

So, I'm mystified.

Thom

trio

#79 Post by trio »

tlchost

Can't help you there, the pet and sfs seems to be in order. I suspect the targz is a source or it is not suitable for puppy. I don't even know what lampp is, something to light up the room? :lol:

tlchost

#80 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:tlchost

Can't help you there, the pet and sfs seems to be in order. I suspect the targz is a source or it is not suitable for puppy. I don't even know what lampp is, something to light up the room? :lol:
lampp is a combination of Apache, PHP and MySql....used for web development. It's not the tar that's at fault....it extracts fine, and all the programs run as they should.

So, the problem is that Petmaker doesn't seem to be able to make either a .pet or an .sfs file.

I tried dir2sfs also. I must not understand that, since while it makes an sfs that includes the lampp directory which is under /opt ..... the sfs does not produce /opt/lampp

Thom

trio

#81 Post by trio »

Tlchost

Silly question, please ignore if you do know. You know the structure of a dir to be pet don't you?

/petname/
/petname/usr/bin/whatever.bin
/petname/usr/share/applications/whatever.desktop

Something like that, the same goes with sfs. That's what will happen if you create it correctly from pet maker.

Hope that make sense

trio

#82 Post by trio »

Tlchost

On second thought, why don't you put the tgz here, and maybe I can pet it up for you. And see if it's only faulty in your system. Fyi: pet maker pack pets,sfs, or convert pet2sfs just what puppy does as usual but, with a gui to make iyt easier. Except for installing sfs, it's not puppy's natural behaviour, which you didn't have a problem with.

tlchost

#83 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:Tlchost

On second thought, why don't you put the tgz here, and maybe I can pet it up for you. And see if it's only faulty in your system.
Great....an sfs file would be very nice, since when it's installed from either the tarball or from a pet, it takes up over 200 megabytes. I'm sure that anyone using puppy and wanting to develop/test web pages that run on an Apache based server would really appreciate it.

If you also do a pet, I can try the convert function and see if it really works on a Bootable USB version of Puppy4.21.Retro

I can't get the forum to accept the attachment....the url is
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/ ... z/download

Thanks!

Thom

trio

#84 Post by trio »

tlchost wrote:
trio wrote:Tlchost

On second thought, why don't you put the tgz here, and maybe I can pet it up for you. And see if it's only faulty in your system.
Great....an sfs file would be very nice, since when it's installed from either the tarball or from a pet, it takes up over 200 megabytes. I'm sure that anyone using puppy and wanting to develop/test web pages that run on an Apache based server would really appreciate it.

Thom
Thom

what series do you want the sfs tobe? 430 or 421-lower. They are not compatible, if you don't already know

tlchost

#85 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote: what series do you want the sfs tobe? 430 or 421-lower. They are not compatible, if you don't already know
421 and lower, thanks

trio

#86 Post by trio »

Thom

Downloading now, When an sfs is made (wow it's big :shock: ) where can I upload it?

trio

#87 Post by trio »

Thom,

I succesfully made an sfs of the lamp & tested it, and loaded in /opt/lampp succesfully

the problem is uploading to your ftp is verrrrryyyy slowwwww... so while uploading (which I'm worried it'll be incomplete), just in case it fails, I better tutor you how to make the right sfs from tgz:

1. extract lampp.tar.gz maybe in /mnt/home so you'll get /mnt/home/lampp
2. Create a new directory call it /lampp-thom, and inside that directory you make another directory call it /opt so you'll get /lamp-thom/opt ....
3. move the /lampp directory to /lampp-thom/opt/lampp ...
4. open rxvt in /mnt/home and type dir2sfs lampp-thom
5. that's it

tlchost

#88 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:Thom,

I succesfully made an sfs of the lamp & tested it, and loaded in /opt/lampp succesfully
Great....and MySQL ran?
trio wrote: the problem is uploading to your ftp is verrrrryyyy slowwwww... so while uploading (which I'm worried it'll be incomplete), just in case it fails, I better tutor you how to make the right sfs from tgz:
That's odd...but I see you are still logged into the server ... the file size shows 33964032. I didn't notice slow uploads when I updated 3 SMF forums earlier....maybe the bad spirits are after me.
trio wrote: 1. extract lampp.tar.gz maybe in /mnt/home so you'll get /mnt/home/lampp
2. Create a new directory call it /lampp-thom, and inside that directory you make another directory call it /opt so you'll get /lamp-thom/opt ....
3. move the /lampp directory to /lampp-thom/opt/lampp ...
4. open rxvt in /mnt/home and type dir2sfs lampp-thom
5. that's it
I'll do that and let you know...thanks

Thom

tlchost

#89 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote: the problem is uploading to your ftp is verrrrryyyy slowwwww... just in case it fails, I better tutor you how to make the right sfs from tgz:
Thanks for the HowTo .... I did this, because doing on /mnt/home didn't work....tar complained a lot

A. created directory test under /
B. created opt under /test
C. extracted files to /test/opt/lammp
tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz -C /test/opt
D open rxvt in /
E ran dir2sfs test

That created the sfs file

The sfs file works fine.....thanks so much for the help.

Thom

trio

#90 Post by trio »

tlchost wrote:
trio wrote: the problem is uploading to your ftp is verrrrryyyy slowwwww... just in case it fails, I better tutor you how to make the right sfs from tgz:
Thanks for the HowTo .... I did this, because doing on /mnt/home didn't work....tar complained a lot

A. created directory test under /
B. created opt under /test
C. extracted files to /test/opt/lammp
tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz -C /test/opt
D open rxvt in /
E ran dir2sfs test

That created the sfs file

The sfs file works fine.....thanks so much for the help.

Thom
great, that's the same thing but on "/" directory (you'll get complaints from tar because you're on usb install, right?)

The main thing thatyou are missing last time is the "dir to be pet/sfs" .. now that you understand it, you'll be ok.

Cheers, glad to help

tlchost

#91 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote: The main thing thatyou are missing last time is the "dir to be pet/sfs" .. now that you understand it, you'll be ok.

Cheers, glad to help
Once you explained it, everything made sense - Tremendous difference using the sfs versus loading it into the /opt directory.

Thanks

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

Hello Bro

I used petmaker for awhile now and found it very useful.

ATM I am running dpup-481a from gposil (full install). I installed 1.7-3 (std). I wanted to install the devx_481.sfs. It did so successfully . :) However, petmaker said there was a menu entry and restarted the WM. I couldn't find such an entry and I believe there isn't one. No biggy, just to let you know.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

trio

#93 Post by trio »

01micko wrote:Hello Bro

I used petmaker for awhile now and found it very useful.

ATM I am running dpup-481a from gposil (full install). I installed 1.7-3 (std). I wanted to install the devx_481.sfs. It did so successfully . :) However, petmaker said there was a menu entry and restarted the WM. I couldn't find such an entry and I believe there isn't one. No biggy, just to let you know.

Cheers
Yes, bro hre are menu entries in devx...for glade interface designers
Thanks for reporting, but it is actually correct

Cheers

01micko

#94 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm, it's not there, better check if glade is actually there, may be a bug in the sfs.

Glade is definitely there and works.

Might be a dpup thing. No worries :)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tlchost

Petmaker to create PetMaker.sfs

#95 Post by tlchost »

I used petmaker to create a petmaker.sfs It seems to work....is there some reason one should not do this?

Thanks
Thom