Another NFS Question (Remote Write Access)

Using applications, configuring, problems
ozboomer

Another NFS Question (Remote Write Access)

#1 Post by ozboomer »

I have two computers both running Puppy (1.0.4, 1.0.5)... and I have some form of NFS working on each (they work reliably for what I generally need to do). Let's call the 'remote' computer 'pc2'.

Now, pc2 has a file /etc/exports containing:

/mnt/Win_C *(rw,sync)

I'll refer to this file as pc2:/etc/exports.

The pc2:/etc/hosts.allow and pc2:/etc/hosts.deny files are... 'appropriate' (I think) as I can mount the volume on the local PC; in an rxvt window, viz:

# mount pc2:/mnt/Win_C /mnt/linux3

...and I can browse the directories, etc via /mnt/linux3 but I can't write into any of those directories.

If, however, I alter the pc2:/etc/exports file entry as follows:

/mnt/Win_C *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

and reboot (or run exportfs -ra), I can then write into those /mnt/linux3 directories... not unsurprisingly.

I just want to know what should be done in terms of exporting/mounting the 'foreign volumes' so that I can write into them. As I understand it, it's probably a bad idea to have the 'no_root_squash' flag on the volume in the pc2:/etc/exports file... but how else do I "open up" access to the volume? I think this is something to do with the 'nobody' user, isn't it?

As I said, I have 'restricted' access to specific PCs via pc2:/etc/hosts.allow and pc2:/etc/hosts.deny, so non-trusted network computers are locked out (except for intruders who spoof their IPs)... but what to do about that 'no_root_squash' flag?

I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on NFS... but I was thinking this sort of question might be ironed out and documented a bit more as I understand static IP addressing (as well as the existing DHCP IP addressing) will be included in 1.0.7...

#2 Post by Guest »

You can already do static using ifconfig or the wizard.

ozboomer

#3 Post by ozboomer »

Anonymous wrote:You can already do static using ifconfig or the wizard.
Quite true... but I read somewhere that one of the forum regulars was building something to switch between the two (just renaming the eth* file?). This is the situation I'm in sometimes, where I'm on-line and want to use the internet and then, I'll want to use a simple peer-to-peer connection with another PC in the same room. Having a means to 'push a button' and be working 'the other way' is just handy for us lazy programmers :)

#4 Post by Guest »

Sounds a bit complicated to me, do what I do, get an old dunger and install a firewall on it, I use SmoothWall, run it through a modem and network through a cheap hub or switch.

That way you can have as many machines as you wish on the lan and all can access the internet.