Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nick4

#556 Post by Nick4 »

I've been using Puppy on my old laptop for about 6 months but wanted to give TurboPup a try. Anyhow, I can't get wireless networking to work. I am using a WPC54g v3.1. Other variants of puppy have not been an issue.

When using networking wizard, it lists wireless as eth1, and incorrectly lists my wireless card as a PCI AirForce One Lan controller. Turbo is loading the bcm43xxx module. If I try to load b43 I get no listing for wireless card.

I saw in this thread a few months ago, someone with the handle RTP had the same issue and I didn't see a resolution in the thread. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Roy

#557 Post by Roy »

Nick4,

I *might* be able to assist you, here. But I'm just using my own memory, so the usual caveats apply.

You mention that other variants of Puppy have not been an issue... may I assume that they were all newer versions of Puppy? If they were standard 3.x or 4.x series Puppies, go straight to my second link in this post and follow the 11th post's instructions of that specific thread. Reboot and test. If the versions that worked for you are newer, start right here....x

FIRST, back up your save file so we don't lose any of your work if something goes wrong...... We want to run this as a test before adopting it for daily usage.

In a terminal, type

Code: Select all

lspci
and hit Enter on your keyboard.
Look to see if your wireless is listed as a Broadcom device (Linsys uses several different chipsets that include Broadcom and RaLink, I think).

The lspci command output should include something (but not necessarily EXACTLY) like this:

06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
IF it is a Broadcom device, try installing this pet in your (kernel 2.6.25.16) Turbopup Xtreme v1.0: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 942#251942

Reboot and run your Connection Wizard. If it works at this point, stop -- no need to fix what isn't broken!

Note that some users have had further difficulties with this driver in Puppy 4.2x... See the thread at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41169 The Broadcom firmware in Puppy 4.2x (Turbopup) is not extracting to the proper location, as it should.

Read that last link's entire thread so that you understand where they are replacing the Broadcom firmware in their Puppy filesystem. A copy of the Broadcom firmware is in the 8th post down of this that thread; the 11th post of the thread tells you where to extract Turbopup's included firmware to, if you don't want to download the forum's firmware file.

EDIT: Rethinking..., AFTER installing the above dot-pet, try extracting the firmware found in your filesystem (without downloading the 8th post file) as outlined in the 11th post as the next test. This will ensure that any firmware (if present) in the dot-pet are used in a proper test -- just in case they are different versions. Resort to the 8th post's file as a last resort, if the previous attempts all fail.

At the end of each change to your filesystem, reboot, and run your wireless connection wizard. Your wireless SHOULD work, ASSUMING that the once-upon-a-time-proprietary Broadcom driver is correct for your specific hardware. (This is why we only wanted to test it, first, before every-day adoption.)

Now, if your wireless card is a RaLink (or something else), someone else will have to jump in here. Posting your lspci output would probably aid in further help, if required.

Oh, and please post your 'lspci' wireless line with a note of success if the above is all correct. That would help others who follow.

Thanks.

-Roy

Nick4

#558 Post by Nick4 »

Thanks for the reply and trying to help. I went through your instructions step by step and still nothing. I installed the pet in your first link, then extracted to the folder suggested in the other link. After reboots, neither of those options worked. I then downloaded the files themselves in the 9th post you referred to and extract them to the proper place and nothing.

I can load the wl module referred to in the first link, but it makes no differnce, and after loading and scanning for new hardware, I am told there is no new hardware.

I hate to sound like a complete newb, but I am having a hard time copying/pasting from terminal emulator. But lspci output does not list hardware of anytype.

Anyhow, I am loving turbo, it's a lot faster on my laptop, but I can only use wifi at work, which is where I use this thing the most. (I'm wired and at home right now.)

Any other ideas?

Roy

#559 Post by Roy »

Nick4,

We really need to know what wireless chip your Linksys card is using.

lspci
had to have returned something .....

That list would tell us.

As a non-expert myself, I vaguely recall that Ctrl-C will copy text from a terminal (can't swear to that). I always use my middle mouse button (press straight down on the scroll wheel) to paste text into a document or forum.

-Roy

Nick4

#560 Post by Nick4 »

When I ran lspci in turbo I just got back a bunch of numbers. I booted into regular puppy and ran lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:09.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (rev 01)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 02)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 08)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Cutting and pasting from terminal is a pain, but thats another story. Anyhow, it looks like Turbo correctly identified my wireless card after all, but I have no idea what to do from here.

Thanks for trying to help, I have been running turbo wired and can not believe how fast Opera 11 is running, it is truly impressive for this old hardware.

Roy

#561 Post by Roy »

Nick4,

Okay, so you have a Broadcom 4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g wireless chip! I'm pretty sure that indicates you need the (proprietary) Broadcom wl (small case WL) driver that is in the dot-pet I linked above in this Turbopup kernel.

I have an idea that it is the SSB module that might be causing problems and there was a post by tempestuous back during the Puppy 4.0~4.1 time-frame which addressed REMOVING SSB and blacklisting the stock b43 wireless driver. Let me do some searching (you can search, too) and we'll see if we can't resurrect those directions for this thread.

Give me a day or two.......

-Roy

EDIT: Found the following text file on my external hard drive....
Dear all,

Important updates 4.2 final:

1. bcm43xx module problem
In 4.2 Final..bcm43xx is still being a problem...for those of you who wants a workaround..just edit /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG (line 33) delete the <red word>

PREFLIST=' rt2500usb:rt73usb ath5k:ath_pci orinoco_nortel:hostap_plx orinoco_plx:hostap_plx orinoco_tmd:hostap_plx orinoco_pci:hostap_pci bcm43xx:wl b43:wl b43legacy:wl <ssb:wl> prism54:p54pci r8169:r8101 rtl8187:r8187 '

and reboot, make pup_save file when prompted, when puppy is booted again go to network wizard and bcm43xx won't be loaded
So load the broadcom dot-pet into Turbopup & extract the firmware as mentioned in my first post, then go into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG and delete ssb:wl. You may also have to blacklist or remove b43 or b43 legacy, too. Save & reboot. You should then be able to load the wl driver if it is not showing up already.

technosaurus

#562 Post by technosaurus »

I'm not sure how light-weight you want to go, but I just compiled mcwm (window manager) against a static uclibc tool-chain. Resource usage is
<= 200kb and 0% cpu (beating shared jwm by 3000% and static uclibc jwm by 1000%)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=468088

the lower resource busybox daemon package I compiled is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60550
this one saves ~1mb per running daemon (init and getty use only ~100kb ... same for syslogd and klogd if you choose to run them)

I also have a small, static dietlibc cupsd that I can post (no ssl support - so it may not work if you are somehow sharing via https)

(and a couple others)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Nick4

#563 Post by Nick4 »

Roy wrote:Nick4,

[snip]

So load the broadcom dot-pet into Turbopup & extract the firmware as mentioned in my first post, then go into /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG and delete ssb:wl. You may also have to blacklist or remove b43 or b43 legacy, too. Save & reboot. You should then be able to load the wl driver if it is not showing up already.
I'm now posted on TurboPup using a wireless connection!!

I had already loaded the provided pet and extracted. So, I removed ssb:wl and rebooted. Only change was that in the network connection wizard the loaded module was b43 and i had a wlan0 instead of eth1. Still couldn't use the card. So, I added b43:wl and b43legacy:wl to the skiplist, rebooted, and bingo. No issues now.

Thanks a ton for the help and hopefully someone else will find it useful as well.

Roy

#564 Post by Roy »

Nick4,

If b43 was the module that was already loaded, that is probably the only module required to be added to your skiplist. Adding b43 legacy probably won't hurt anything, though, so leave well enough alone if it's working now.

One thing that I've done over the years is to backup all of my dot-pets and SFS's to an external hard drive -- with the original .iso's -- which allows me to "rebuild" if/when I stuff something up during my perpetual learning curve. This external drive has grown to become my personal repository of "must have" applications (and forum snippet notes) and I highly recommend this practice to others. Forums hiccup and servers do die; I don't need to save everything but the stuff that I use/have-used is worth gold to me.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have everything working now, and am happy to have helped out a bit. Barry, Synth and everybody involved in the original 4.2x project really worked hard to create this wonderful OS. My one regret is that I did not annotate the original forum authors of the snippets I saved, and thus am now unable to name them for proper credit of their work.

-Roy

jambalaya

#565 Post by jambalaya »

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for a puppy that finally works on my old thinkpad. Lucid would crash every time I tried to install a pet.

It works great, except I do a lot of document work in Google Docs which is not supported by the seamonkey browser. Could anyone direct me on how to install the latest version of Firefox in turbopup?

Regards.

rickyricardo

#566 Post by rickyricardo »

jambalaya wrote:Hi, just wanted to say thanks for a puppy that finally works on my old thinkpad. Lucid would crash every time I tried to install a pet.

It works great, except I do a lot of document work in Google Docs which is not supported by the seamonkey browser. Could anyone direct me on how to install the latest version of Firefox in turbopup?

Regards.
I use TurboPup Xtreme v1 and SeaMonkey with Google Docs without any problems at all. You may need to 'enable' scripts (right click the S in the lower right corner of the browser and select ENABLE). Try it and let us know what happens.

Rick in Raleigh

weroflu

download problem

#567 Post by weroflu »

tried downloading from link on first page and got an error.

James C

Re: download problem

#568 Post by James C »

weroflu wrote:tried downloading from link on first page and got an error.
Try
http://www.share2many.com/files/ZBXJGDY ... eme_v1.iso

weroflu

tried it

#569 Post by weroflu »

every time i click on one of the download links it just opens up a new browser tab with the same website, never redirecting to the download link.

edit -- i searched for the iso image filename on rapidshare and got it.

oui

howto use acpi=off in frugal installation

#570 Post by oui »

Hi

one off my monitors did crash.

the new one comes to the better PC (the PC where the old crashed monitor was)

no problem

the old one goes to the other PC and this PC does in combination with that monitor not support acpi at all!

the monitor become darker and darker if it does not work and is waiting for some activity. he is and stay also dark after restart!

only windows XP is not affected at all; it is the PC with the only one last Windows in our house. we need it for internet transactions with chip card because linux does not support such transactions until yet.

the start with "noacpi" in menu.lst from grub seems not to be really helpful

but the start from CD with the parameter acpi=off seems to work properly.

what are the different ways to turn acpi off in Turbopup?

salut

Cust0dian

Re: howto use acpi=off in frugal installation

#571 Post by Cust0dian »

oui wrote:Hi
the start with "noacpi" in menu.lst from grub seems not to be really helpful

but the start from CD with the parameter acpi=off seems to work properly.

what are the different ways to turn acpi off in Turbopup?
Hi, oui.
Have you tried using acpi=off instead of noacpi in your menu.lst kernel line?

synth

#572 Post by synth »

Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 (ISO and supporting files) re-uploaded to Sendspace.

New links:

Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 ISO
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6nmy5c (99.5 MB)

MD5SUM file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ofv3l6

Readme HTML file
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qxqlln

synth

#573 Post by synth »

[EDIT] Updated the original post with the new links.

technosaurus

#574 Post by technosaurus »

in order to download I had to change the user agent string in seamonkey's about:config to Firefox 3.6.11 what a pain ... google code will allow less than 100 mb with no bs
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

panzerpuppy

#575 Post by panzerpuppy »

Use Opera. Works like a charm. No need to mess with UA strings :)
Turbopup Tech Support