Installing on HD, refusing to boot from CD and FLoppy

Booting, installing, newbie
baconismidog

#1 Post by baconismidog »

First, thanks for this incredible tool. Puppy is the best linux distro I have found for "rescue" builds on old laptops (my girl is going to kill me if she trips over another 15 lb laptop in the middle of the night...).

I am unable to get puppy to boot from the cd, which is par for the course when dealing with old BIOS and hardware, but it will usually work when using the floppy method (http://www.goosee.com/puppy/boot2pup.htm ). This time, however, I am getting error 0x2296 when it is loading the c:\image.gz file. Then Gujin exits with error...

I am unsure how to remedy this problem, and as this is a particularly sweet old CTX EZbook that looks as if it has never been out of the case (included) I really want this to work.

All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

You might have to revert to an earlier version of Puppy for the moment.

etienne

#3 Post by etienne »

> I am getting error 0x2296 when it is loading the c:\image.gz file. Then Gujin exits with error...

Gujin error code like this are interpreted one digit at a time like this:
0x2??? : error in function system_file_load() for DOS read file function
0x?2?? : error in DOS_system_file_load() for gzlib extraction
0x??9? : error in gzlib_extract() for inflate data
0x???6 : Z_OUPUT_FULL error.

The last digit is one of:
typedef enum {
Z_OK = 0,
Z_STREAM_END = 1,
Z_STREAM_ERROR = 2,
Z_DATA_ERROR = 3,
Z_MEM_ERROR = 4,
Z_BUF_ERROR = 5,
Z_OUPUT_FULL = 6,
Z_BAD_LENGTH = 7,
Z_BAD_CRC = 8,
Z_BASE_MEMCOPY_ERROR = 9
} zret_t;

If you were loading starting from a DOS boot floppy, type "mem" under DOS to know how much free memory you had (if HIMEM was loaded you should check how much free HIMEM you had), and check how much space the uncompressed c:\image.gz will take. Some HIMEM.SYS versions will only manage the first 64 Mbytes of the memory whatever you have installed.

Etienne.