ChoicePup4.1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#361 Post by jrb »

bones01 wrote:The original taskbar had three buttons - shut down, reboot, show desktop.
Here is the first 13 lines of /root/.jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<JWM>
	<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="0" height="26" >

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>

<TrayButton popup="reboot" icon="mini-turn.xpm">exec:/usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot</TrayButton>

<TrayButton popup="poweroff" icon="mini-stop.xpm">exec:/usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff</TrayButton>

<!-- BK showdesktop incompatible with rox 2.5... -->
<!-- Dougal: fixed by selecting "override windowmanager control..." in Rox -->
		<TrayButton popup="Show desktop" icon="showdesk16.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>
which contains the three buttons you are missing.

I am attaching my copy of /root/.jwmrc-tray as a .pet if that would be easier for you.

As for placing taskbar at top of screen. You should be able to do that from the Desktop->JWM configuration->Tray Placement Option->Top

If that doesn't work then get back to me and I'll play with it a bit.
Attachments
jtray2.pet
ChoicePup taskbar
(925 Bytes) Downloaded 711 times

jrb

#362 Post by jrb »

bones01, tlchost, sunburnt,
if there are plans for using 4.3 and choicepup?
Short answer "Yes"
Long answer:
There are more technical problems involved in making ChoicePup430 than just converting the sfs files to type4. The loading procedure as used in ChoicePup412 only works with kernels 2.6.21.7 and 2.6.25.16 using the aufs1 file layering system. Puppy430 uses 2.6.30.5 and aufs2.

As sunburnt has suggested the answer lies in not layering the sfs packages but simply mounting them and using them. I have come up with a general method of doing that but requires rebuilding all the sfs packages and trying to keep them compatible with the stock sfs bootmanager as well.

I have been a bit distracted lately, just got back from a week in Vancouver, BC where my wife got her second new knee. Everything looks good however and I'm hoping to devote some time to working the bugs out of ChoicePup430. Not guessing at any timeline however.

sunburnt

#363 Post by sunburnt »

Hi jrb, I hope your wife is feeling OK, surgery is no joke...

I am rewritting an old SFA ( Squash File Attached ) file manager.
To keep the file types apart the new file extension of: ".sfa" is exclusively for "mount but don`t union" usage.
### A tabbed GUI:
Panel #1 is SFA files that have been found.
Panel #2 is SFA files that are mounted.
Panel #3 is SFA files set to mount at boot.
Panel #4 is ON/OFF Options for desktop: Menus, Icons, and Panels.

Buttons to load, unload, set to boot, copy to ram and load, and copy "from"-"to" location.
Display free ram for SFA files, add and remove menu items, desktop icons, and icon panels.

Maybe it can be used for your new ChoicePup or another Puppy.
The other app. that`s need is a SFA file maker, I`m working on it too.
I would like to see Puppy versions without the union...
This would be a whole new dog kennel, a new breed of Puppies.
Attachments
sfa-manager_found.png
The second and third panels look about the same as the first one.
(39.08 KiB) Downloaded 2557 times

bones01

#364 Post by bones01 »

Thanks JRB. I'll try the jwmrc.tray pet soon and let you know how it goes.

Hope your wife is well and enjoying a new knee.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Caneri

#365 Post by Caneri »

@jrb,

I also send my best wishes to your wife.
May she be pain free.
Best Regards,
Eric
PS your links on puppylinux.ca will show up when you upload to puppylinux.asia. I fully support your efforts..ty
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

bones01

#366 Post by bones01 »

Thanks JRB. I used the code and all is as it should be. I tried the .pet file, but that just put all the icons back on the screen which I had taken off.

As for the taskbar, when I try to put it on the top of the screen, I get this message:
"New config corrupt. Keeping original."

could be worse, but could be better.

However, none of this is as important as looking after your wife.

Hope all is well.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

inoxidabile

#367 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody!
I'm writing just for send my thanks to jrb!
ChoicePup4.1.2 solve a lot of problem: mounting/unmounting only the right sfs I need , now I have a quick and well tailored system for my use, even if I'm not experienced.
Moreover I think that its "not new" kernel is also more right for "not new" pc.
I've some thing I would like to say about, hoping they will be useful:
- Without the ch-boost it isn't possible to mount any sfs, in my opinion maybe it could be better to underline it stronger. But, unfortunately, without it also the install tools doesn't function correctly (at the end, the grub doesn't run) so maybe it has been removed "too much things" from the base packets.
- The icon on the desktop for spreadsheet point to word editor (in my case to kword instead of kspread), so I've changed the text in the link.
- The wireless setup has been improved in Puppy 4.2, so maybe it could be updated also in ChoicePup.
- Some things are not very clear (at least, for me...), and then, maybe, there could be the need of some more descriptions for unexperienced users as I'm.
I've tested also 4.2.1 and 4.3, but my notebook becomes a little bit slow with these release (before now I had the glorious 3.0.1 version).
I don't think I will update to these, but maybe I could try the new ChoicePup, hoping it will be more light than original ones.
Just one question: some weeks ago I found a ChoicePup 4.3 but now it seems under development, please can anyone tell me the real situation?
Ok, that's all, thanks once again to jrb because I tested a lot of puplets and now I've made my choice ... for ChoicePup!

jrb

#368 Post by jrb »

inoxicabile,
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to hear you've got ChoicePup412 running the way you want it.

Right now I'm putting all my free time into getting ChoicePup431 running. I think from some of the comments I've heard that 431 has fixed a number of problems with 430 so hopefully it will work better for you.
I found a ChoicePup 4.3 but now it seems under development
Definitely under development. The new kernel has created a major technical change which I think I have found a good solution for but it is requiring some time and effort. Will be worth it though as I think it will be kernel independent from here on.

I'm still planning a barebones core with a ch-boost but I would like to make sure all the basics, like grub, work without the boost. I'll count on you to let me know.

I just found that flaw in K-Office when I was setting it up for ChoicePup430. Guess nobody before you used it. The more I see of K-Office the more I like it. Will have to use it more in the future. Didn't realize it would open excel files until a few days ago.

Thanks again, J

inoxidabile

#369 Post by inoxidabile »

Dear jrb,
I'm using ChoicePup from few days and I'm happy with it and with the availlable packets (koffice is great!).
Unfortunately I have had some problems, so I hope You will be so kind to help me:
1- ePDFviewer simply doesn't function. There is also no icon on desktop, but this isn't a problem. When I try to open directly a pdf nothing happens and using "open with..." in the list appears epdfview but it also doesn't run.
I've tried to install the ch-adobereader but it doesn't function, maybe I've done something wrong, but in every case i'm sure that the default application epdf isn't available.
2- After installation the freemem was a little bit more than 500M. After the first two starts it becomes about 475M and it seems to decrease of 1M every time, even if I don't save or do anything. I tried to setup some parameters in Opera, but it seems unuseful.

About Your new development: I will be honoured to test the version You are developing, even if I'm a not experienced user I will send You my notes (if any...) hoping You will be patient for the non-technical language and moreover for my bad english.

jrb

#370 Post by jrb »

inoxidabile wrote:ePDFviewer simply doesn't function
You're right. :oops: It needs ch-min-cups-1.1.23.sfs loaded in order to work. Your the first to catch that.
I've tried to install the ch-adobereader but it doesn't function
I works for me even without ch-min-boost.sfs. :?

I like ch-FoxitReader1.0.sfs a lot better.

If you don't need to print try ch-mupdf-1.0.sfs. If you click on the pdf file it will open and if you right click and choose mupdf pdf viewer it will give instructions first. I'm planning on making it the default in ChoicePup431. Have just uploaded it for you to try.
I tried to setup some parameters in Opera, but it seems unuseful.
Here's a trick to not let Opera, or firefox or seamonkey, fill up your pup_save.
Open /root by clicking on the file icon at the upper left corner of the desktop. Open /mnt/home by clicking on drive icon with yellow dot. Drag .opera from /root to the /mnt/home window and then choose "Move". Now drag it back to /root and choose "Link (absolute)". .opera with a little arrow should appear in /root. Its been symlinked and from now on all your Opera cache will go in /mnt/home/.opera instead of filling up your pup_save.

inoxidabile

#371 Post by inoxidabile »

Thanks to chcups now epdf is ok, but I've seen that PdfConvert doesn't function, I tried with a simple txt file...
I've tried Foxit but it's not ok: when I open a document the program close itself... it's a pity, because I know that it's fast and more light than Acrobat Reader.
Mupdf is very quick but it's a little bit uncomfortable for me.
Thanks to Your great ChoicePup, now it's possible to do tests in a simple and safe way! :D .

About the ch-adobereader: You are right, it was corrupted in itself and then, using a file without error, it's ok - but it's strange because the system loaded it however, so I think that there isn't a check of validity (excluding the md5, of course if there is the checksum for that ch-xxx).

The driver for rtl8180 (pcmcia wifi) doesn't function well, I've had to use ndiswrapper and run two times the wizard setup; about this (and let me say, only for this...) the new releases of Puppy, such as 4.2.1 and 4.3 have a better behaviour.

Conky doesn't starts automatically at startup even following the instruction attached with it. It's not a problem because I don't need it always, but if I want it on the desktop I have to launch it from the menu.

An other question: at the boot , the system start up then the X restart again automatically (for correctly load sfs and update menus, I think), then the system is ready. The total time needed is about 1 minute and 45 seconds. For me and my notebook (an old Dell 800MHz + 512M ram) it's not a problem because it's absolutely better than the 3 minutes or more needed by W_$, but I'm thinking if it's normal or not.
Never mind, it isn't important, if I will find some other true problems I'll say to You.

Thanks also for Your suggestion about Opera, I've done as described in Your trick and now it's ok, no more decrease of freemem. .
I remember that I've had some similar trouble with Seamonkey in Puppy 3.01. I solved them, just putting its cache in \tmp directory (choosing it inside Seamonkey-Preferences) but I feel that You solution is more radical and better.

I hope also to be able to test Your new ChoicePup in the next days - but in LiveCd mode because I haven't an other PC where install it.

An other thing: what can I do for give more weight at my opinion about bad behaviour of Abiword? It's still present in official releases, but there are a lot of person thinking it's not ok. I'm aware that there aren't many light and open software for word processing, but after my test on kword there is no reason to still use it (and a less light software as Openoffice).

Thanks for everything, and let me say that I feel that Your puplet remains one of the few versions that still keep alive the first good philosophy at the basis of Puppy.

inoxidabile

#372 Post by inoxidabile »

I can confirm to You, there is no way to use ch-foxit, everytime I try to load a document it closes by itself!

About puppypdf converter: is it able co convert only some specific file having some extension or not? maybe it needs of some other program?
I'm asking because I tried to convert some txt files wiithout success.

sfs links: I've used symlink as relative in /my_links/sfs_boot_links on the desktop (should they be as absolute?).

Thank You for any answer about!

PS I tried Your new 4.3, bu I feel that I'm not skilled enough to test it...
Without the install/uninstall sfs I'm loose. :oops:
The only thing I've noted is that netsurf has a so little thickness in the part for keyword input and in some rows in webpages that it's unusable.
The network setup is better than the previous issue in 4.1.2

bones01

#373 Post by bones01 »

inoxidabile wrote:I can confirm to You, there is no way to use ch-foxit, everytime I try to load a document it closes by itself!
I've been using foxit since I first started with Choicepup and have had no problems like this. Hope you can find a solution.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

jrb

#374 Post by jrb »

inoxidable wrote:I can confirm to You, there is no way to use ch-foxit, everytime I try to load a document it closes by itself!
I've never had this problem. I wonder if your copy of ch-Foxit is corrupt.
sfs links: I've used symlink as relative in /my_links/sfs_boot_links on the desktop (should they be as absolute?).
In this case it shouldn't make any difference.
The only thing I've noted is that netsurf has a so little thickness in the part for keyword input and in some rows in webpages that it's unusable.
Yes, Netsurf is not ideal, but its small, works for internal html messages and can download files, like ch-Opera.

I've just uploaded SFS_Linker-431bk-1.0 for use with the standard Puppy431 distro. I have to say that 431 is a sweet package. I can hardly bring myself to start stripping it for ChoicePup431, but I will. You might have a look. Maybe try running it from cd.

inoxidabile

#375 Post by inoxidabile »

I've tried several times to use ch-Foxit, after a new download every times but the result is the same. :(
Never mind, I'll use Adobe...

But, what about my answer about puppyPDF converter?

Thank You also for Your suggestion, I'll try Your SFS Linker from a LiveCD, I've downloade also some ch4-sfs but in the list there isn't a ch4-flash is it in an other sfs or is it in yet included somewhere?

Thanks for Your support!

jrb

#376 Post by jrb »

inoxidable wrote:But, what about my answer about puppyPDF converter?
I just tried puppyPDF converter (for the first time). Got an error message. Opened the same file in Abiword with cups installed and printed it to pdf successfully.

inoxidabile

#377 Post by inoxidabile »

I must say that I also never use puppyPDF converter before now, but it's very strange that me and You have found some important problems.
Are we the the only two person? I don't think so, but it is stiil in use and added to several puplet, isn't it?
Of course, there are other ways to obtain a pdf conversion: I use kword (because I have a lot of problem with Abiword - I've also started a thread about).
Also in kword there is the print as pdf, but I use the second menu chioce, because the cups-pdf make some mistakes in output file (e.g. totally wrong distance of text from the head of the page).

About ch-foxit: I'm sorry, but the problem remains the same also other several tests, when I try to open a pdf file it immediately closes by itself without any reason.
As I've said, it isn't a great trouble, I can use Adobe.

jrb

#378 Post by jrb »

inoxidabile,
There are some programs that don't want to run from SFS's. I tried puppyPDF converter in Puppy431 and it worked fine. I suspect that it could be made to work from an SFS but there doesn't seem to be a great need.

inoxidabile

#379 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi jrb,
I've done as Your suggestion, trying Puppy 4.3.1 in LiveCD mode with Your SFS Linker and the ch4 - sfs.
I send You the following notes here, hoping this is the right place, if it isnt please tell me the right topic.

Ok, after some tests, I have to say that it's really good, but:
- I tried some sfs but the only that runs is Kword, the install sends this message "... .sfs is not a SFS4"
- After my great experience with Your ChoicePup4.1.2 I still prefer to have a version without programs so I can install the ones I want. I'm not experienced enough to delete, say, Abiword and then to keep only Kword or to delete one of the two text editor (Geany and Nicoedit).

Then, I'll keep attention to Your new work! :)

pemasu

HP 1020 printer working with CUPS 1.3.9 pet

#380 Post by pemasu »

HP1020 laserjet works with CUPS 1.3.9 pet. I dowloaded also hplip full with all needed packages. HP device manager downloaded the driver and configured the printer.

Best regards