PupMini 100

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

PupMini 100

#1 Post by starhawk »

PupMini, 160mb ISO. MD5Sum --> 58b0da58d443ed8a48b975c97753ebb4

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/starhawk/
Download needs login: user: puppy - pass: linux

Pretty much a one-shot experiment... the idea was to take Wary511-Uniproc and strip it down and keep it small (for once). Also to make something that would run passably on my little CPi. I'm not quite there, but maybe FastCairn-200 will do that...

Removed Stuff:

Code: Select all

abiword
geany
gnumeric
gtkam
seamonkey
ycalc
xfprot
Added Stuff:

Antiquity [iconset]
Bluefish-2.0.0 [replaces Geany]
Dillo-3.0.2 [alternative to QtWeb]
Fluxbox-1.3.2 and styles [WM]
mtCellEdit-1.0 [spreadsheet editor]
QtWeb [default browser unless you change it]
Quicky-0.4 [lightweight text editor]
Sylpheed-3.1.2 [email & contacts]
Tea-28.1.4 [word-processor]
Woofy-0.7 [so you can change things up if you want]
Was gonna stuff Lyx in there as the word-processor, but then I looked at the filesize (!!) -- Puppy really needs an alternative to AbiWord that's small and not integrated with a bunch o' other stuff. All I needed in here was a word-processor; I didn't go with OOoLight cuz it's so big (89mb!) and I didn't need it. :/ that's how it goes, I guess.

Looking forward to doing something similar to this again, but with Akita Linux once sc0ttman gets out all the bugs and such... strip it down even further and add in some stuff to make it real simple. That will be FastCairn-200.

I'm one of those "one tool per function" sorts o' folks, ya know? I don't need (or want) a massive selection that I have to choose from, most of the time. Variety may be the spice of life, but if a tool works, it works, and that's all I ask of it (usually).

So... let me know what ya'll think of PupMini. Keep in mind, again, this was pretty much a one-shot deal; I'm not planning on updating it or anything. I'm going to devote my time to other stuff, and when Akita's release candidate comes out, I'll do up FastCairn-200.

EDIT: two things... (1) just realized that the URL isn't clickable. Fixed. (2) too lazy to post a screeny. Hope ya'll don't care too much.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, starhawk.

Downloading now. Will let you know my reaction!

TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Incidentally, what is FastCairn ?

Sounds celtic... :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

FastCairn 100 --> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73639

Basically my own little version of BrowserLinux... FastCairn was based on Puplite 5, and still has a couple bugs in it (top tray won't show, and neither will Conky, IIRC)... gonna redo it completely when Akita (sc0ttman's latest) is finished. The basic idea is that it's just enough to run a browser and office stuff, with very little else. I stripped out a LOT... but I then put in OOoLight which basically doubled the size of the ISO.

EDIT: gaaah, why can't this forum autodetect and link URLs?!
Last edited by starhawk on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Hehe Starhawk beat me with one minute. Damn I am slow
musher0 wrote:Incidentally, what is FastCairn ?

Sounds celtic... :)
Hehe I had no idea either so I did a google
FastCairn is based off of Puplite 5.0 (the NON-"uniprocessor" kernel version), and
is designed to be a rather minimal Puppy
Starhawk obviously post about it here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73639
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

OK, I may have lied... going to experiment with Tman's WaryTiny (already a cutdown version of Wary511, 81mb) and see what I can do to it. If it's significantly smaller than PupMini-100, then there will be a PupMini-150...

I do like playing around with Puppy :D fun to see just what I can do with it...

Search this part of the forum for "Wary Tiny" if you want to find Tman's work... I wanna say it's on page 3 right now but I could be wrong. Too lazy to bother with an actual link, to boot.

Also: nooby, you ain't slow at all. You actually beat my edit -- the URL wasn't clickable first time around.

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

PupMini-150 has been created. It's 129mb instead of 159mb. I've got mixed feelings about it... is anyone interested in it?

Also: protip for both PupMini-100 and PupMini-150... when the desktop comes up the first time, hit CTRL+ALT+BKSP and then at the prompt type

xwin startfluxbox
and hit [ENTER]. That will restart fluxbox with the PROPER puppy menu, rather than the default Fluxbox menu.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

You'll love this, starhawk! :D

It's your PupMini100 running my wmx 7.4 (yellow theming), with spm and SatinRibbon gtk2 theme...

Now, who said wmx had no features again? :)

wmx would need tweaking for your puplet, of course, but it works on it, so you should feel avenged? :)

I tried your fluxbox: nice looking, but difficult to handle since it does not have a menu, right?

jwm ok. Had to dig out some themes to go with your magnigicent desktop picture.

Love your choice of apps, too. Maybe the spreadsheet leaves to be desired, but QtTEA... wow!

Check your "defaultbrowser" in /usr/local/bin. I had to make a hard link from /opt/QtWeb to /usr/bin for it to work. Also, all the other html links in local/bin, such barehtmlreader, etc., should point to dillo, in my opinion, not to the full-fledged Web navigator.

Great work, starhawk. What else do you have up your sleeve, Mr. Magician? :)
Attachments
pupmini100+wmx7+SatinRibbon+spm-700x575.jpg
(106.25 KiB) Downloaded 854 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

Fluxbox has a rightclick menu.

How the #@*(#_$$#@($%**&^&^(%##&$*(# did you get WMX to do a menu?! That was the WHOLE PROBLEM that I had -- no keys mean no menu! ...or so I thought...

...never mind the "how did you theme it" part, along with the "WTF is SPM?" bit...

EDIT: ...by rightclick menu, I mean "rightclick on the desktop and the Puppy menu appears". Also, do me a favor, if you don't mind... on a fresh boot of your version of PupMini-100 (with save file, so you get WMX and all that good stuff), open Terminal and post the results of the "free" command.

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Hi,

My, my, my, such foul words from a gentleman!!! :)

Thing is, I didn't fight it. In the beginning, I didn't understand it either, so i let it be what it may. I created another one that reacts to bind key Shift-right-click. And that other one is based on spm.

spm is acronym for simple puppy menu, by aragon (based on some previous idea of mine). Search for "spm" as subject and "aragon" as author in this forum, and you should get something.

Yeah, there's a way to theme wmx on compile, include a color, even a small pattern (but it has to be of precise dimensions). Don't remember off-hand, but I have notes somewhere.

Why the "free" request ? I'll do it, but I'm not on pupmini right now, I'd have to reboot, and the day/night has been long... Tomorrow, ok ? :)
Have a good one.

TWYL.

Chris
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

"free" tells you how much memory you're using. I wanna see if PupMini is lighter on the RAM with WMX.

...and if you think I'm a gentleman, I think you've got a case of mistaken identity! Simon and Garfunkel said it best: "I am just a poor boy, and my story's seldom told..."

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

Hello again, starhawk.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers last time.

Here is your "free" report. However, it was done under jwm as wm... I also added a "top" report, just in case. I thought this screenshot might also serve as an illustration for interested jwm users.

As to memory occupation of window managers, it's on the board somewhere. Some other member had asked me to do a comparison and I posted it on the forum. Around mid-2009, I think. Just use the forum search engine and you'll find it.

wmx comes as 2nd or 3rd most economical, after oroborus (1st) and echinus, if my memory is correct.

Also, please check: there is no "save" icon in your default pixmaps dir. I had to import one from a mywolfe 008 puplet. This icon is needed to show on the desktop when the puppy user chooses to save to the cd or dvd instead of to a regular pupsave file.

TWYL.
Attachments
pupmini100+jwm+olive+free+top-700x575.jpg
(109.41 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

Ha! No ruffled feathers whatsoever, I just like to keep it humble is all.

Not sure how that icon got pulled... must be missing from the base part that I used, or one of the options in Woofy pruned it out. Not sure.

Will look into that WM you mentioned, the one that I can't spell that starts with an "O".