Suggestions for Forum Improvement

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
bark_bark_bark

#346 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Does JohnMurga even have decent php version to even run 3.0.11

Q5sys

#347 Post by Q5sys »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Does JohnMurga even have decent php version to even run 3.0.11
Only he knows. No one else that im aware of knows anything about the server config. And I'm not about to launch exploit scripts at the forum/server to find out what version he's using.

gcmartin

#348 Post by gcmartin »

@Q5sys, I don't think anyone has suggested that we step beyond JohnMurga's work, currently.

I glean that this thread is discussing Forum improvements in a way as to view methods of moving the forum from its current release to a version that brings added functionality to forum use.

This includes ideas on personnel approaches, product information availability, ideas of methods of accomplishing build and testing, etc.

You and others are being very helpful with ideas and experiences to consider.

I view this thread as providing insights which will be useful should a forum change occurs by providing helpful info and hints to accomplish it in a safe and easy manner.

I not taking issue, but, I think that is, simply, all thats being shared thus far.

Any ideas that we bring to bear could be helpful to John.

simargl

#349 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

Q5sys

#350 Post by Q5sys »

simargl wrote:It would be nice to have chat box feature like it's provided in Porteus http://forum.porteus.org/
Then, people could get answers more quickly...
Wouldn't it just make more sense to have a page that has an applet that can let people log into the official puppy chatroom on freenode?
I've seen several sites with php based irc clients that allow people to connect to an irc chatroom.

Since we already have a chat system in place I think it makes more sense to just use that one instead of creating another place for people to check.
Great idea for a 'chat' area.

Q5sys

#351 Post by Q5sys »

Can we please get a lower time between searches for registered users?
I understand having a time buffer for guests to do repeated searches. If you accidentally put in a typo in your search query... you have to wait an annoyingly log time to be able to re-search

Makoto

#352 Post by Makoto »

Well, people who have been around for a while, perhaps. I believe the limit was put in for spammers/bots, and those are less likely to stick around for a while. (We have had some spambots who have waited six months to a year, or more, before posting.)

I think I've run into the limit a few times while running the occasional search for older spam. :mrgreen:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Q5sys

#353 Post by Q5sys »

Makoto wrote:Well, people who have been around for a while, perhaps. I believe the limit was put in for spammers/bots, and those are less likely to stick around for a while. (We have had some spambots who have waited six months to a year, or more, before posting.)

I think I've run into the limit a few times while running the occasional search for older spam. :mrgreen:
why is a spam bot going to be using the search function? Even if it did... most spambots are automated and post rapidly. We dont have a post timer that Im aware of. why would we have a search timer?

Makoto

#354 Post by Makoto »

I'm not sure why. :oops: As far as I'm aware, though, the limits are primarily put into place on forums to discourage spammer/bot abuse. I'm guessing it's the ones that try to find a 'relevant post' for adding their spam replies.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#355 Post by Flash »

I don't know why for sure. I get the impression it's the result of a general limit on how rapidly you can access the forum. Probably an anti-spam thing, but I could be wrong. In any case, it doesn't seem to be consistent. It seems to me that I can usually repeat searches pretty quickly. Only sometimes does the forum complain.

nubc

#356 Post by nubc »

User watchdog was good enough to provide an easy and much-needed upgrade to SeaMonkey for Wary 5.xx and Puppy 4.31+ users:

Seamonkey2.23-en_US-w5.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90882

I hope this essential upgrade can be given a conspicuous placement here in the forum, as a sticky. But even more, perhaps a useful upgrade like this might justify starting a new category, Upgrades, which are, generally, sorely needed by the Puppy Project, since we don't have a rolling release version and since upgrades are, in effect, provided by (inconvenient) point release versions. Inconvenient to some users, anyway. How do I explain to any outside party, that I can't upgrade my browser because I am locked in to a static point release version of Linux? Needless to say, I can't expect much sympathy on the common issue of browser upgrades.

Opinion: I might also add that the browser is a significant and fundamental component of the Puppy OS, important enough to justify a separate forum category just for Browsers, not just a minor sub-category buried in Additional Software. I am reminded of the fundamental importance of the browser every time I have to upgrade Puppy to a later version because the browser is no longer supported, which is usually the primary, if not exclusive, reason for the upgrade. Conspicuous and easy access to browser-related forum activity would benefit both regular and, especially, new Puppy users.

Additional Software sub-fora related to pages of posts
Package Collections/Repos - 2 pages
REQUESTS - 20 pages
Browsers and Internet - 16 pages
Business - 2 pages
Compiling - 3 pages
Desktop - 9 pages
Documents - 9 pages
Drivers - 5 pages
Educational - 1 page
Engineering/Science/Simulation - 4 pages
Eye Candy - 6 pages
Filesystem - 5 pages
Games - 26 pages
Graphics - 8 pages
Multimedia - 19 pages
Network - 7 pages
Security/Privacy - 4 pages
System - 5 pages
Utilities - 13 pages
Virtualization - 3 pages
Unsorted - 167 pages

Excluding Unsorted, 5 sub-fora stand out in usage, in order of most pages of posts:
1 Games (26)
2 REQUESTS (20)
3 Multimedia (19)
4 Browsers and Internet (16)
5 Utilities (13)

tlchost

#357 Post by tlchost »

Q5sys wrote:
Wouldn't it just make more sense to have a page that has an applet that can let people log into the official puppy chatroom on freenode?
Even easier, and less of the forum resources used would simply have a thread with this link in it:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=puppylinux

Drop in and say Hi....we speak Puppy there

Thom

Q5sys

#358 Post by Q5sys »

tlchost wrote:
Q5sys wrote:
Even easier, and less of the forum resources used would simply have a thread with this link in it:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=puppylinux

Drop in and say Hi....we speak Puppy there

Thom
Doesnt require forum resources. It runs entirely in the browser on the users machine, the only hit (at most) would be a few mb download of the chat client. Which in most cases, isnt hosted on the forum anyway. that's downloaded from the chat vendors site (like with kiwiirc), so site is only hit with a line or two of extra HTML code.
nubc wrote:Opinion: I might also add that the browser is a significant and fundamental component of the Puppy OS, important enough to justify a separate forum category just for Browsers, not just a minor sub-category buried in Additional Software. I am reminded of the fundamental importance of the browser every time I have to upgrade Puppy to a later version because the browser is no longer supported, which is usually the primary, if not exclusive, reason for the upgrade. Conspicuous and easy access to browser-related forum activity would benefit both regular and, especially, new Puppy users.
Good luck with that. About a year ago I asked for a 64bit sub-forum. After a month or so and a few PMs, John let me know that he didnt have time to make a sub-forum.

A 64bit forum and an ARM forum would be a good thing, but it requires Admin to make them. But apparently... he doesn't have the time.

someSven_2

#359 Post by someSven_2 »

What I really hate about some forums: You can't contact any support without beeing logged in! If you have an account, but Login is not working, you need to register again. But then you don't need the old account, except you want your username back. :evil:

RSH

#360 Post by RSH »

Usually there are just two reasons why a registered user can't log in:

1. He/She forgot the username/password
2. He/She has been removed for some reasons

If he/she just forgot the password he/she can request a new password - at least in this here forum.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

someSven

#361 Post by someSven »

I changed my email adress and made a mistake, writing .com instead of .net - account gone. Emails aren't answered.

OT: Have a similar problem with another forum, can't register since some weeks, cause I'm not getting a verification mail. To find the email of the owner is always a adventure, then there is no answer. I'm sure that I'm not banned there.

Bindee

#362 Post by Bindee »

What about a youtube help section where users can submit help videos such as explaining how to make install packages for quirky and such?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#363 Post by Flash »

I think there already is something like that, although the videos may be way out of date.

s243a

#364 Post by s243a »

I't's probably been mentioned but I noticed that you can't put parenthesis in URLs. Allot of wikipedia pages use parenthesis in URLs. The solution is to use the URL encoding for parenthesis. However, not all users will know to do this.

Bindee

#365 Post by Bindee »

Flash wrote:I think there already is something like that, although the videos may be way out of date.
If you find it could you put it in it's own section on the main forum so it's more visible as a trial to see if more people use it?

Thanks