Puppy Artists Workshop

News, happenings
puppyluvr

#106 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Tubeguy,
Try changing your xara line in .jwmrc to read:
"<Program label="Xara Xtreme" icon="xaralx.png">xaralx %f</Program>"
You still get a bad file error, but if you dont feed xara a file on startup, it crashes...
I`ll look at it before RC-3...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

tubeguy

#107 Post by tubeguy »

puppyluvr wrote::D Tubeguy,
Try changing your xara line in .jwmrc to read:
"<Program label="Xara Xtreme" icon="xaralx.png">xaralx %f</Program>"
You still get a bad file error, but if you dont feed xara a file on startup, it crashes...
I`ll look at it before RC-3...
It worked! :D
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

tubeguy

Dreamweaver 8 under wine works fine

#108 Post by tubeguy »

Very exciting! I checked the wine app database and grabbed Dreamweaver 8 off Demonoid using transmission. Used console to install, so far trouble-free. I'm still on my old Compaq (Athlon XP 3000 @ 2gig, 1.4 gig ram, onboard video at 1600x1200) so it runs a bit slow, but awesome to know that it works.

Edit- backed off the resolution to 1400x1050 and everything is much snappier.
Attachments
PAW-DW8.jpg
(157.41 KiB) Downloaded 1084 times

puppyluvr

#109 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Glad to hear all is going well. 8)
If you use bit torrents, you`ll be glad to hear that UTorrent will be in RC-3..I like that UTorrent lets you select individual files from a torrent to D/L, instead of the whole torrent..
Ive been using it on PAW for a few weeks now, and it just flies...Got as fast as 500k at one point..If you take a look at the icons in the "wine" directory on your desktop, you can see how to launch wine programs from icons..Glad to hear Dreamweaver is working for you, it is quite popular..RC-2 has Bluefish, and Ive added Geany and Abiword to RC-3.. Im also testing an updated wine, but this one, 1.0, works well, so if it is no improvement, no need...Ive also added Bryce 3D to the wine in RC-3..Of course, for RC-3 wine will be an SFS, and possibly a tarball for permanent installation..
Remember that to add items to the menu in PAW, you must edit /root/Startup/paw.jwmrc, then click "menufix" and restart JWM.. I did this to prevent menu overwrites, a workaround until I find the culprit that messes up my menus on reboots...Puppy can rewrite .jwmrc, but not paw.jwmrc..Menu control..LOL..

P.S. I`m currently on a Compaq P3 600 w/384mb ram and i810 video, Bcm43xx wireless, and a 22" lcd...A dinosaur, but tough as nails...Had it since like `99, its outlived a few, even survived a lightning strike in `02 which killed EVERY other electrical device in my house, even clocks and dvd players...Yet my 3yr old son has a Sony 1.8gz tower..LOL
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

tubeguy

#110 Post by tubeguy »

Yeah, so far so good. I have to either learn GIMP better or get Photoshop running with wine next, then I can completely dump Windows at home. Photoshop is a bitch, even native on Windows, it's a resource hog, so I guess it's on me to get GIMP-y. I wanted to try installing the Debian version of Scribus on my laptop with dpup (didn't work) then it dawned on me that Scribus is already in PAW...more goodness!

I got a used Sun workstation Wednesday but it has problems, I was hoping to run PAW on that but no go yet. It was supposed to come with a SCSI drive and he sent it with an IDE and it will POST but won't boot. Hopefully it's a system thing, the BIOS calls itself a "SCSI BIOS" even...when I get the right drive we will see. What bugs me is that Puppy is supposed to run without *any* hard drive installed, so I'm thinking I'll end up returning this thing anyway. The video card was banging around in the case when I opened it up, may have taken out the mobo in transit.

puppyluvr

#111 Post by puppyluvr »

My guess would be that the bios is looking for a scsi cd drive..
And yes, one of the things I love to do to demonstrate Linux is remove the HDD and then boot Puppy..
Will it boot from USB, like a jumpdrive?

oh, and you can learn a lot of Gimp tricks from Youtube....

Oh, and I never said this on this forum...LOL
A SUN workstation huh, while you are playing around with it, try Open Solaris...
Kinda Linux, kinda Solaris, (SUNs OS ).. Sorta made for it... 8) Might be fun.. :D
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

tubeguy

#112 Post by tubeguy »

puppyluvr wrote: Will it boot from USB, like a jumpdrive?
Dang, I never thought of that- will give it a try tonight.
puppyluvr wrote:A SUN workstation huh, while you are playing around with it, try Open Solaris...
Kinda Linux, kinda Solaris, (SUNs OS ).. Sorta made for it... 8) Might be fun.. :D
That was one of the things I was going to do- just to check it out. Also see how fast SETI@home runs. Good times if I get it running!

puppyluvr

#113 Post by puppyluvr »

SETI@home huh.. :D
Been a member of "The Knights who say "Nee" since 2002...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

tubeguy

#114 Post by tubeguy »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
SETI@home huh.. :D
Been a member of "The Knights who say "Nee" since 2002...
What about the Ministry of Funny Walks?

I used to run SETI all the time but not for a while. I remembered how watching the screensaver was a quick way to see how fast a machine was, I just want to see how the Sun handles it and how that box stacks up against others. Running it native under Linux or Solaris should be interesting.

Aitch

#115 Post by Aitch »

Hey, tubeguy

I remember reading about your sun box in another thread - still got probs, eh?
maybe a tweak of bios settings for CD needed?

If I recall that was a new gen version, with an AMD processor, or something
The speed reputation of Sun boxes was with their 8xprocessor sparc processors with loads of ram [16Gb??]
I saw one doing seti a few years back - 'phenomenal' would have been an understatement :wink:

Aitch :)

tubeguy

#116 Post by tubeguy »

Aitch wrote:Hey, tubeguy

I remember reading about your sun box in another thread - still got probs, eh?
maybe a tweak of bios settings for CD needed?
In a nutshell it came with the wrong drive and won't boot although it does POST. The video card was loose in the case, that may have damaged something. The Sun forum and every doc I can find is no help, so I'm just waiting for the SCSI drive to show up.

Even if I do get it to boot with IDE or a flash drive, I still want the SCSI drive, that was one of the reasons I wanted the machine in the first place. It has fast *everything* built in.

Aitch

#117 Post by Aitch »

It has fast *everything* built in.

yes, so I've heard, and being a SCSI fan/user myself, I've often been tempted, but I've gone the low power route now, as my 'leccy bills were getting too big, and the rooms get too warm, and noisy.....

sorry, Jay :D

back to the thread

One of these days I'm going to try PAW

How is it with 3G E220 dongles, Jay?

puppyluvr

#118 Post by puppyluvr »

Aitch, IDK man, I aint never had one to try...Its a usb wireless device, right? I threw a bunch of wireless drivers into PAW, even the dreaded bcm43xx "air-force" card works..I want to add more updated wireless firmware and drivers before RC-3, as I think a lot of this kind of work is done on laptops, on scene...Try it :D , and let me know...There, no excuse now...LOL.. 8)
If you need to add something, let me know what and how, OK?.
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

ttuuxxx

#119 Post by ttuuxxx »

lol ummm tubeguy, stating your using dreamweaver 8 from a torrent site is a bit how do say, "omission of guilt downloading/promoting illegally posted software". Kind of a image that linux users try to hide, lol

I use Dreamweaver CS3 and photoshop CS3, on my wife's xp pc also, the best that windows has to offer :)
Ggimp is nice, but the actual loss image quality is much higher on series 2,3,4. It tends to be a bit blurry say if you edit a png and save it.
But I did notice a difference on Quirky, the image resave quality was much higher. I'm not sure if that is a libpng,Xorg or even Rox issue, The reason why I say Rox is because when your viewing a png and save it it looks blurry somewhat say a 48x48 icon, but if you click on it and view it in a image viewer its usually better looking.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Aitch

#120 Post by Aitch »

Jay
No - 3G E220 is a Huawei broadband phone modem, with a sim card in it, which allows you to go anywhere see rerwin's thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37828

I have a boat, and a camper, so mobile broadband is quite useful, though a bit pricey to use, for much other than emails and a bit of browsing
[£10 for 1Gb/mth, or £15 for 3Gb/mth on PAYG, which expires if you don't use it, and charges extra if you go over the limit!]

I'm building a 'CarPC', 12v EPIA miniITX P4 1.6Ghz/1or 2Gb ram, with 60Gb laptop hard drive, and remote powered USB everything, :D , but haven't settled on an OS yet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42223

At the moment Nghost is looking favourite, though I've only seen install instructions for *buntu which I don't want to use, but I haven't got a decent screen at the moment, and the board is trial installed, and waiting on some warmer weather... :lol:
Also, I've got tempted by the Zotac board with dual Atom 1.6Ghz + Nvidia Ion chipset - supposed to be the dog's nuts for graphics rendering...but they're about £120 - don't know in dollars, but it's a big chunk for me

So, if you fancy doing a SMP enabled PAW or Macpupfoxy with Nghost for CarPC with touchscreen capability, I may even buy it off you and get the Zotac board.....what am I saying???....Oh, no! - fantasy has got me again.... :wink: :lol:

thanks for letting me meander off topic a bit - I'm cold, hungry, bored and it's late.....

tubeguy

#121 Post by tubeguy »

ttuuxxx wrote:lol ummm tubeguy, stating your using dreamweaver 8 from a torrent site is a bit how do say, "omission of guilt downloading/promoting illegally posted software". Kind of a image that linux users try to hide, lol
Um- it's an evaluation version. ;-)

ttuuxxx

#122 Post by ttuuxxx »

tubeguy wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:lol ummm tubeguy, stating your using dreamweaver 8 from a torrent site is a bit how do say, "omission of guilt downloading/promoting illegally posted software". Kind of a image that linux users try to hide, lol
Um- it's an evaluation version. ;-)
yes I didn't think you were using a cracked version of DW8, lol
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

puppyluvr

#123 Post by puppyluvr »

Yea, tempted as I was to include some `evaluation versions` in the Wine for PAW, I thought better when the ever vigilant Lobster called me on Notepad and Paint at Beta-2.... :oops:
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

P123

Bug report

#124 Post by P123 »

I downloaded PAW RC-2 yesterday.

It detects & says it is connected to ethernet & wifi but is not.

There is 3 hard drives & the cd detected but I only 1 hard drive (which is not detected) & the cd.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite L30-101 with the ram upgrade to 2GB.

The programs included in the description sound fantastic its just a pity I can not connect to any media to play with them.

The included themes are great.

puppyluvr

#125 Post by puppyluvr »

@P123, Hello, and thanks for trying PAW out...(Or trying to...LOL)
1. The drive icons are a legacy issue, brought up earlier in the thread... Go to "Menu / Desktop / Desktop drive icons manager and check the "Tick box to erase and redraw" ect. box and restart X, that should fix it..
2. PAW actually has extensive Wi-Fi drivers and firmware and should pick up your card(s) right off, even the "dreaded" bcm.xxx cards..As for ethernet, that should be no problem with any Puppy...Did the md5sum match your D/L..?? Do other Puppies see it OK?...
3. Sorry for the halted progress on my part...My 3 yr old son kicked in the video connection on the back of my desktop and busted the Mobo..My work is (assumably) safe on the HDD, but gotta set up another box to run it from...I believe the old "dinosaur" P3-600 is finally, after 11 yrs, done for... :( .All of PAW,Transitions, Buddapup,and even Icepup are on it, so kinda set me back a bit.)...No worries, I have a P4-1.6 box ready, just hunting ram for it...A lot of my stuff went missing during my divorce, so gotta hunt it down elsewhere now...Be up and running again soon....Tell then, the old broken, half duct tape laptop has to suffice...LOL...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...