CUPS Postscript printer - where to find?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
charlie6

CUPS Postscript printer - where to find?

#1 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
on puppy 413 frugal for testing.
where to download a PS driver for CUPS ?
I could'nt find one in CUPS drivers list

I found an HPxxxxx.ppd.gz in the links available on CUPS but no download followed (even though I got the 'save on disk' dialog box but nothing after clicking on it... ?)
Thanks for answer
Charlie

----------------------
UPDATED 28may09
Continuing searching with Postscript.ppd keyword.....I could download some here (just have to quick register on the site an get a login code..)
http://www.gegereka.com/?query=postscript.ppd.gz

question:
On Cups printer wizard, which 'device printer' should I choose (there are Appsocket/HPJetDirect ...pdfwriter,...LPD/LPR....etc)
I am a bit lost at that all, as well as 'device for URI' I do not understand what that all means...and I spent a lot of time playing at "wizardpjuple" through those menus...

Can someone help
----------------------

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

You don't actually need a Postscript driver, because Postscript is the default printer language in Linux.

Please describe what you are trying to do. What kind of printer do you have? How is it connected? What applications are you printing from?

Do you have a Postscript compatible printer? In that case, select Raw for the make and Raw Queue for the model. Then the print job will go directly to the printer unfiltered.

charlie6

#3 Post by charlie6 »

Hi rscn51, thanks for your quick answer,
I have to confess that I am a rough newbie with Linux.
rcrsn51 wrote:You don't actually need a Postscript driver, because Postscript is the default printer language in Linux.
Please describe what you are trying to do. What kind of printer do you have? How is it connected? What applications are you printing from?
I manage to just get printed_file.ps instead of .pdf default one.
I have a USB-Canon MP160 used mainly for its scanner (I print when necessary...just to preserve our Old Good Planet...that is to say ...less than 10 pages per month) and also second hand bought LPT1 connected HPLaserJet1100 which runs nice on my mife's PuppyLinux-PC). Printing most often from epdfviewer, OOffice, rarely from Abiword, Seamonkey.
Do you have a Postscript compatible printer? In that case, select Raw for the make and Raw Queue for the model. Then the print job will go directly to the printer unfiltered.
I found LaserJet_4300-Postscript.ppd. Do not know if compatible...?!
CUPS second step setup is connection or hostname setup ( = socket, parallel, USB, pdf writer, backend...etc..)
Which to choose for a postscript driver? If choice on pdf writer, I get a pdf file. (On windows, I remenber there was a NULL printer setup or something like that). Other choices result in "unable to locate printer 'hostname' Unknown host " message.
Thanks for answer
Cheers, Charlie

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Why do you want a ps file?

A lot of programs have a "print to file" option, which means to create a ps file. If you want to create a ps file from some other program we should be able to make a modified version of the pdf-writer backend to create a postscript file printer. I'll have a look at it when I'm next at home. I think Puppy may also have a pdf2ps script that you could easily use to convert from pdf.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

charlie6

#5 Post by charlie6 »

Hi disciple,
Thanks for your time!
Why do you want a ps file?
As a Linux newbie, I perhaps do not realize what I am asking...I believe .ps being a basic printing format I could use for further graphic treatment ...(increase dpi and afterwards convert to pdf or png - this has already been answered early in the puppy forum: I have installed sam2 which is nice and I also discovered XnView1.7 + adds also in the Puppy forum; as also other tools like ps2pdf and others; again thanks to the helpers who gave an answer on my questions)
A lot of programs have a "print to file" option, which means to create a ps file. .
OK ! I noticed a "print to file" option on print dialog box for some programs and I did not really know its meaning. I just made a test using Abiword and saving as .ps ...
If you want to create a ps file from some other program we should be able to make a modified version of the pdf-writer backend to create a postscript file printer
...I do not ask that so much effort as to write a backend ! I indeed noticed that the drawing program I am using on wine gives that "print to file" options
(when I ran Windows I was used to select among the printers a Postscript Printer - most often a Hp-xxxx-PS...I now just try to retrieve that security feeling I got then..). I'll have a try.
I'll have a look at it when I'm next at home. I think Puppy may also have a pdf2ps script that you could easily use to convert from pdf.
I believe you answered my question.
Nice week-end to you and your family.
Cheers !
Charlie

[/quote]