How to install lexmark x2600 printer in puppy 4.2?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Frank Cox

Puppy savefile size

#16 Post by Frank Cox »

electric smurf wrote:Thanks rcrsn51

I had found that this printer was listed as "works" but I am not sure how to download the driver.

You pointed out that the driver is quite large but my smallest pup_save file is one gig. on my hard drive and my largest is 4 gigs on a Superfloppy USB flash drive though I think the max puppy can recognize is 1.8 Gigs.

Anyway I assume I have enough because I already downloaded it (lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.tar.gz.sh.zip) but I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks for your time.
I have had savefiles 8 gigs with no problem.

Frank Cox

Thanks and Question

#17 Post by Frank Cox »

I tried all the command line options and the best I ever did was get the gui to work for a minute and then crash. I tried your pet and voila! No worries.

do you know how to download the Lexmark controls? Cups will print test page but not clean cartridges.

Thanks again!

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

Cups will print test page but not clean cartridges.
Are we talking about the Lexmark x2600?

First, you need to determine the "queue name" of your printer. This is the name that CUPS assigned to the printer, not the "description" that you gave it.

Find the name by running the CUPS wizard, or by using the command "lpstat -v".

Now go to the folder /usr/local/lexmark/lxk08/bin. Locate the program "prnutility". Run it from the command line with

Code: Select all

./prnutility -h
Note the command for cleaning the print heads. Using the queue name from above, run it as

Code: Select all

./prnutility -d queue -c
I don't have a printer to test this with, so please report back.

Frank Cox

Code works-Printer does not

#19 Post by Frank Cox »

I ran the code but apparently when you remove the cartridges you might as well chunk them.
When I told it to clean it said the black cartridge was bad and the color non-existent.