How I installed Bitcoin-QT Wallet in Quirky

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
JaDy

How I installed Bitcoin-QT Wallet in Quirky

#1 Post by JaDy »

First, I want to thank the members of the Puppy Linux Forum and others who provided the information I needed to perform this task.

The Bitcoin-QT program uses the blockchain to validate transactions in your wallet. The blockchain holds all Bitcoin transactions and now (2014 08 14) is over 20GB. I decided to store the blockchain in its own partition on a flash drive. I don't need to provide backup because it can be rebuilt in the event of disaster. So, I don't want to clutter my main storage of data which is backed-up periodically.

I considered using a link to point the Bitcoin-QT program at the blockchain partition. Bad idea because the blockchain would be included in my backup. Don't want that. Instead, I decided to tell the program where to find the blockchain. This is done with the "-datadir=" parameter. Now, there is a complication with this solution: That parameter cannot be specified in the configuration file and must be placed on the command line which invokes the program.

Well now, here are the steps I used to install the Bitcoin-QT wallet in Puppy Quirky Linux:

Download version 0.8.1 of the program in dotpet format (if not available, email me) and install it:

http://goo.gl/8LKxh

Run the Puppy Package Manager (aka Quirky Package Manager), the "install" button at the top of the desktop, and search for qt, and again for glsoft. Install (or verify already installed) these two packages:

Code: Select all

qt-4.8.2-i686
zcombo_xorg_glsoft-20131207-1-i486-quirky6 
Now all the software needed is installed. Do not run Bitcoin-QT just yet.

Enter this code with a text editor and save somewhere convenient as "bitcoin":

#!/bin/bash
mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb4 /mnt/sdb4
/opt/bitcoin/bin/bitcoin-qt -datadir=/mnt/sdb4/bitcoin/
Of course, "sdb4" should be your partition name and "bitcoin" should be a directory in that partition. Incedentally, my partition is 50GB.

Locate the file with ROX-filer and mark it executable. Then drag it to your desktop. Right-click that, select "file 'bitcoin'" and select "Set Icon". Locate file "/usr/share/pixmaps/bitcoin.png" and drag it onto the "Set Icon" dialog.

Enter this code with a text editor and save in /mnt/sdb4/bitcoin/ as "bitcoin.conf":

rpcuser=whatever
rpcpassword=mustbesomethingljlsdioetljs
rpcallowip=localhost
rpctimeout=30
rpcport=8332
rpcconnect=127.0.0.1
I must admit ignorance of these parameters. I just know they work. Anyway, the configuration file is required (I think).

If you already have a Bitcoin wallet (mine was in Windows), copy it into "/mnt/sdb4/bitcoin/".

Finally, you're ready to run the Bitcoin-QT Wallet program using the icon you put on your desktop. Don't use the Bitcoin item in the menu. Note: Building your copy of the blockchain may require several days of processing.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.