CUPS 1.4b2 for Puppy 4.2 has stopped working.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
reedman

CUPS 1.4b2 for Puppy 4.2 has stopped working.

#1 Post by reedman »

I recently upgraded to Puppy 4.2 through a fresh frugal install. I configured my printer (Canon Pixma ip3500) successfully with the MP520 driver file. I printed a test page from Opera (v.9.64) in color and with good results. I went to bed, booted Puppy, printed a page from the browser, with poor results. Mystified, I attempted to re-enter the CUPS interface, and nothing appears, either through the System Menu for managing printing, or through the Setup Menu for the CUPS printer wizard.

I attempted to call CUPS from a console window through the command "gtklp", and received the popup advisory "Unable to connect to Server Localhost!" But my internet connection is quite fast and fully functional. Browsing and email are accomplished quickly and as per normal. Is the warning an alert that the CUPS server is (at least temporarily) down?

The following is what's inside the /usr/etc/cups/cupsd.conf file: (Is there something that I should change withn it?)

==========

#
# "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7199 2008-01-08 00:16:30Z mike $"
#
# Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
# scheduler. See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
# file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel info

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup root

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
Order deny,allow
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
Order deny,allow
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType None
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
</Policy>

#
# End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 7199 2008-01-08 00:16:30Z mike $".
#

==========

I believe that I may have overlooked something simple, but am unable to determine what that might be. I would certainly appreciate any help. Is it possible to re-install the CUPS pet package, provided that there is one, or perhaps there is a much simpler solution.

Thanks very much. Puppy is the reason I finally made the swtich to Linux.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are two menu items for running CUPS. In Puppy 4.2, the one under System is broken. It will stop the CUPS daemon but not restart it. Once the daemon is stopped, running CUPS from Setup will fail too. You can restart CUPS with a reboot or by going to a console and typing.

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/cups start

aragon

#3 Post by aragon »

@ rcrsn51

if you know a solution/patch please submit to the 4.2 bugfix-thread.

aragon

reedman

Attempted direct start of CUPS

#4 Post by reedman »

Tried both the console entry and a reboot which you suggested rcrsn51, and still no entryway to the CUPS server/portal. Both entries in the Puppy menu are non-functional, at least from my machine. Thanks.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

@aragon: The bug was reported on April 10. Prior to that, it was discussed here with edoc.

@reedman: When you say "nothing appears" do you mean "nothing" or do you get a message about being unable to connect?

When you run the console command, does it reply that CUPS has restarted?

reedman

Definition for "nothing" and console entry

#6 Post by reedman »

@rcrsn51: Nothing, as in no response of any kind. No message. No picture. Nothing. I re-entered your /etc/init.d/cups start command and received the response "cups: started scheduler." Now, what's next to reconfigure my printer, or is this not possible? (Previously, when I entered the command "gtklp" I get the "no localhost " message.)

I attempted to enter "http://127.0.0.1:631/printers" in my browser, which resulted in the "Could not connect to remote server" error message.

May I ask why the CD is fully functional, but the frugal install is not? Perhaps this is too complicated to answer. Thanks, rcrsn51.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

I printed a test page from Opera (v.9.64)
The CUPS menu items are designed to run through browser tools that are part of the Seamonkey suite. I'm guessing that your Opera install has disabled them somehow.

But I would have thought that you could still get to 127.0.0.1:631 directly through Opera.

[Edit] My only other suggestion would be to delete your current pup_save file and reinstall WITHOUT Opera. Run some tests. Then install Opera and see if you can replicate the bug.

reedman

Seamonkey browser access to CUPS

#8 Post by reedman »

@rcrsn51: Ditto results with Seamonkey web Browser: "Failed to connect. Page load error" (http://127.0.0.1:631/printers). Thanks. I suppose I can just forget about booting from the hard drive, and boot instead from the CD. I'll give that a whirl. I find this all quite ironic, as I was nearly entirely happy with Puppy 4.1.2 as a frugal install, the only exception being lack of printing support for my Canon printer. So I have spent the last two days porting everything over to Puppy 4.2 because my printer was finally recognized from the CD. Thought that I had it all figured out. (Life is what happens whilst you are making other plans.)

Hoping that no one at Puppy Central misinterprets this, but if this was a known glitch prior to the release of 4.2 Final, perhaps the "final" version should have been baked a little longer. As a further aside, my attempt to upgrade my existing frugal install of Puppy 4.1.2 by copying over the older files with the newer ones was a complete disaster. In the end, I simply did a frugal install of Puppy 4.2 to another partition, and began my manual "upgrade" from there.

I love Puppy, and I'm in it for the long haul. It's made linux practical for everyday use.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

You might want to try installing CUPS 1.3.9 instead.

reedman

Now working!

#10 Post by reedman »

Just an update to my original thread. I have just completed an upgrade of Puppy from 4.2 to 4.2.1, and the printer (a Canon Pixma ip3500) is working just fine with the bundled version of CUPS, 1.3.10. I am using the PPD file for MP520. Thanks very much for this latest release, as it is a relief to have a fully functional printer again.

goldpacific

CUPS Manage Printers broken in 4.2

#11 Post by goldpacific »

I got "unable to connect to Server Localhost!" for CUPS puppy 4.2
but cups works for puppy 4.1.2 and 4.2.1

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

In Puppy 4.2, the System > Manage Printing routine was broken. It actually disabled CUPS.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

work around script

#13 Post by Billwho? »

In 4.20 after I got CUPS running again.

/etc/init.d/cups start
I created this script to open the CUPS page without using any menu items and running the risk of stopping CUPS again.

#! /bin/bash
defaultbrowser http://localhost:631/printers
I then saved it in my-applications. Made sure it was executable and dragged it on to the desktop.
Now when I need to modify CUPS , start , stop or cancel print jobs etc I just click on the icon on the desktop and "Bingo" the CUPS page opens up in my web browser.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.