Can't get Alltel 3g USB modem to work - SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
hondasid

#16 Post by hondasid »

Well, you don't have to reboot, I did however because I had another error and needed to reboot.. The only problem I have it that every 2 or 3 reboots, I have to run the usb_modeswitch and modprobe commands all over again to be able to connect. Is there a way to fix this? I was thinking about writing a script that runs them both so i could just click, hit the connect and i'm done. Any fixes?

hondasid

#17 Post by hondasid »

Just thought I would add this. I got this working on an Asus 233Mhz with 64 MB of RAM, a 300 MB swap, with Puppy 4.12. I'm posting this from that unit, running 3g. A little slow, but way faster than M$ would be. Thanx guys.

rerwin

#18 Post by rerwin »

hondasid, tempestuous,
Thanks for calling my attention to this. I have checked my 3G-pupdial-wireless implementation and find that this modem appears to be supported by USB_modeswitch and the two drivers. It should be detected automatically. However, I suspect that the modeswitch is not being done correctly. In working with Wilky on another modem, I am at the point of suspecting a timing problem.

Apparently, both the usb-storage driver loading and usb_modeswitch are started at the same moment, by the same uevent. I understand that the driver is not accessed for 5 seconds, which suggests that that is the earliest the switching should be done. I am working on a delayed execution of usb_modeswitch, to wait 15 seconds before switching, giving 10 seconds for the storage driver to complete its setup of the hardware. The tricky part is to do all that in the background, so as to not impact the speed of initialization (by 15 seconds).
I have installed 3gwirelessdialup.pet and usbmodeswitcher.pet . everytime i change a rule, on startup it gives me an invalid rule error.
I assume you mean 3G-pupdial-wireless-9.pet and usb_modeswitch-0.9.6.pet from my project's initial page.

On thing you might try until I make a fix, is to enter a usb_modeswitch command after bootup. That would result in a sufficient delay. The possible problem might be that the automatic-but-too-early attempt prevents a second attempt from being successful.

Code: Select all

usb_modeswitch -v 0x106c -p 0x3b03 -V 0x106c -P 0x3715 -m 0x05 -M 55534243904ed68a24000000800008ff024445564348470000000000000000 -W
(Copy and paste this, to prevent typos. It's all one line.) You should not need any other command or rule change (yet). This form of invocation does not use the .conf file, so changes to it are ignored. Please post or PM the output from usb_modeswitch, so I can verify all went well (I hope).
Richard

hondasid

#19 Post by hondasid »

ok, so i've rebooted several times now and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. I'm sending a unit out tomorrow that connects with the service, so hopefully he won't have any problems. I haven't used the code you gave me, rerwin, because it's working right and I'm kind of afraid to mess with it anymore. If it messes up again, then I'll run it and let you know.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

hondasid

#20 Post by hondasid »

I also posted in the main thread of 3G discussion.

Ran the new 3G and usb_modeswitch packages n Pantech 175 from Alltel on several different units. It works perfectly, connects online everytime. Sorry it took so long to reply.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.