Puppy 4.2 <USB> Mobile Phone

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
smokey01

Puppy 4.2 <USB> Mobile Phone

#1 Post by smokey01 »

Does anyone know how to transfer files between Puppy 4.2 and mobile phones using a USB cable?

The phone seems to detect the USB cable is attached but Puppy will not mount it as removable HDD as expected. Puppy can't even see the device.

The mobile phone I have tried is a SGH-A561

I have a SIM card reader too and Puppy does not treat it as a removable storage device.

If I plug the same SIM card reader into windows it works fine. Mind you it comes with special windows software.

How can I make this work on Puppy?

I have tried Wine, no luck either as the card reader is not recognised.

Regards

Smokey

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

I dont have the answer. I have this same problem. if you want some further reading try these below. they are for nokia but may help.it is detailed reading which i havent managed to find the time to absorb and understand. simpler to go to the icafe until someone who knows how makes a pet, or i buy a new phone upgrade which is what will probably happen first:)
Nokia PC Suite for Linux with ObexTool on Ubuntu Gutsy | Smoking Linux
this how-to is intended for people that runs Ubuntu Gutsy and have NOKIA 6120 Mobile Phone.
KMobileTools| Open Source meets Mobile Phones
Linux and Syncml, Multisync with Nokia 6280 — Harald Hoyer
I successfully synced my calendars with my Nokia 6280.
Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia PC Suite for Linux - Software Updates - Nokia Support Discussions

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

Thanks aarf.

Phones seem to be one of the very few missing applications in Puppy.

I would like to see a good reliable pet for bluetooth and some sort of active sync suite would be handy too.

I might search to see what other distros have.

Thanks

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

My SGH-A867 has an option to turn it to a "mass storage device". I plug the usb into the laptop and a drive icon pops up. Mount it and use it.

Other than that, it came with a microsd adaptor that fits into my 5in1 card reader and works fine.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

smokey01 wrote:Thanks aarf.

Phones seem to be one of the very few missing applications in Puppy.

I would like to see a good reliable pet for bluetooth and some sort of active sync suite would be handy too.

I might search to see what other distros have.

Thanks
if you find something perhaps it will be possible to make a puppy woof build and so use the other distros method on puppy. Keep us informed.

aarf

#6 Post by aarf »

you may also want to look at synce-0.9.1.pet i have it downloaded but that is as far as i have gone.