POLL: How old are you?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Burn_IT

#166 Post by Burn_IT »

When I started work it was on an IBM 1130 expanded to 32k.
I started to teach myself Fortran iv but rapidly switched to PL/1
The company built machine tools and the controls systems for them. I remember working on the machines that made parts for Concorde.
When I left there I went to Rolls Royce and worked on the programs that helped design the engines that powered Concorde.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

kb8amz

#167 Post by kb8amz »

I am 68, December 1946. Used a slide rule, batteries not required, in in high school Mathematics class or brain power and scratches on paper. Even in the Navy used pre-calculated tables or a slide rule, 1965-1969. Able to afford a PC in 1978, <personal computer used loosely>, the Tandy Radio Shack 80 Model I 4k with cassette play to record BASIC programs. Upgraded to the Commodore C64, what many called the toy computer, but it danced circles around TRS 80.

nubc

#168 Post by nubc »

MU wrote:42. Old enough that I start feeling the first physical limitations.
When I try to grab something behind me, and turn around too fast, my shoulders get in terrible pain.
Mark,
Supplementation with Coral Calcium may fix your shoulder pain. In my case, my range of motion of the arms and shoulders was down to about 40%. For example, I could not reach into my back pocket to retrieve my wallet without experiencing acute tindonitis in the shoulders. After a month of twice daily Coral Calcium, my range of motion had improved to about 60%. In two months time, I had improved to 80%. After four months, I had recovered 95% my range of motion in the affected area. If Calcium deficiency is the cause of your shoulder pain, you may experience dramatic improvement with Coral Calcium. Coral Calcium is better than other forms of Calcium because of its high bioassimilability. Coral Calcium is sometimes called "sea bones" because its chemical composition is so close to that of human bone. Reportedly, Coral Calcium has been occasionally used in facial reconstruction, with no rejection.

Burn_IT

#169 Post by Burn_IT »

Used a slide rule,
Still have mine on the side, though guestimates tend to be near enough these days.....??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Ted Dog

#170 Post by Ted Dog »

Abacus :D

Pelo

Ubuntu users are 20-30

#171 Post by Pelo »

Ubuntu users are 20-30, puppy's ones 50-60
They are exceptions, Root are older (root means registered users, just my decision)
Born feb29, 1932, i have just reach my 21th birthay.

kb8amz

POLL: How old are you?

#172 Post by kb8amz »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Tman, we all feel 25 emotionally, lol..
Perhaps you would feel better about to realize some of us would kill to be 38 again...

Guys, I really think this thread proves that Puppy isnt delegated to the "college kids with taped glasses" but that it indeed includes a broad group of people.. I do believe that the TRS-80 / CPM / 6502 generation and before find Linux easier to grasp... than the Windoze generation.... we are just used to having to do a little more than "click"..

I cant say Puppy has kept me from "throwing in the towel", but it has kept an old hobby alive.. I can still make a "Computer Graduate" say "Wow, how did you do that" and that is worth it.. Plus I believe that Puppy, and studying how it operates, teaches you more about how your Computer works, than any MS certification....

Its like it gives you Commodore access to a Windoze PC... :wink: :wink:
Probably one of the better analogies I've read.
Terry Morris - KB8AMZ
Registered Linux User# 412308

Dell Latitude D505 tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE; Dell Optiplex 520 desktop Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; Dell Optiplex 150 LM 17 32bit, HP Quad Core AMD FatDog64 7.02

rockedge

#173 Post by rockedge »

Started on a Digital PDP-11/70 learned Sys OPs on IBM mainframes and batch script programming. Loaded bootstrap code via toggle switches in Octal on an Hughes MA-1 on the weapons control system of Convair Delta Dart F-106 's. Now I am 54 and have used Puppy Linux since Lucid 5.28 and the heady days of 4.31. Now using Tahr 6.+ for projects and other experiments as well as the primary machine I use for the daily dose.

I try out most Puppy Distros that come out for fun.