Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 06:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
POLL: How old are you?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
SilverPuppy

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 20:54    Post subject: Re: Close to older than dirt...  

yorkiesnorkie wrote:
48 and counting... I remember watching Gerry Anderson's UFO when a computer was the size of a room. Smile When I went to school we learned Fortran and Basic. There were certain individuals who used to print out pinups of girls which were entirely made up of text. What a laugh. Does that make me older than dirt? Probably not. I remember the flying cars too but we'd probably be far worse off now environmentally if they'd been realized.

You're better off for the Fortran and Basic, which actually explains a lot of why people here tend to be older. You understand computers and are willing to make a solution, not simply requiring one to be ready for you to download a fix-all. You're actually :gasp: Surprised EDUCATED!!!!

As for the flying cars, the environment would be fine. It always has been. It changes some from time to time, but it always steadies itself. The earth's climate is dictated almost entirely by the sun, and yet we never hear anything about it. There's a documentary called "The Great Global Warming Swindle" that everyone who believes in man-made climate change absolutely MUST watch before they believe everything they've been told. Get both sides of the issue before you jump to conclusions. And hey, it's actually interesting and fun to watch, even if you don't change your mind.
rarsa

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep 2009, 22:03    Post subject: Re: Close to older than dirt...  

SilverPuppy wrote:
"The Great Global Warming Swindle" that everyone who believes in man-made climate change absolutely MUST watch before they believe everything they've been told.
It's more than "believing' it's observation but I'll watch it. Thanks for the reference.

Now back to topic. (or to a new thread)

p310don

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 00:16    Post subject:  

Digging up an old thread - but hey, I am bored at work and thought this was interesting.

It is interesting that most of the people on here are actually significantly older, and, often have computer experience from before Windoze took over the world.
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar 2011, 00:35    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Ironic.... Cool

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 11:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Very Happy Hello,
Yea, I started out on a 16k TRS Z-80 running Extended Color Basic 2.1
I think Puppy makes more sense to those of us who used computers before Windoze...
Funny, I still have every version of Windows...from 1 to 7........... LOL........
Th e "Cell phone / Microwave "I aint got all minute"" generation aint as "green" as they think...
Take a "Goodwill" computer and make it outrun the "latest and greatest"...
Thats green to me.....
Wink

BTW....46..

Puppy since 2.15CE...
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 19:08    Post subject:  

I'm 20, and will be 21 in late June.
(10100 goin' on 10101, for the odder folks. Razz)

Up until 1998, the only computers I could readily access and use were old, aging Macs at school and a 1984 IBM desktop with PC DOS installed at home.

Re. Flying Cars:
Firstly, there are more than enough God-awful drivers working in three dimensions already, and I don't want most of them working in four. Secondly, your fuel costs will go up in real hurry. Thirdly, you can already command a flying machine (solo) at fifteen years old in the US, before you can drive one of those new-fangled horseless carriages everyone is always jabbering on about. Finally, do you really expect all these would-be pilots to get IFR ratings, or will all personal traffic just seize up whenever it gets too cloudy, or rains, or when it gets dark?
Simply not feasible, not without (potentially comedic, in a slightly dark way) calamities.

Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 20:47; edited 1 time in total
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 19:35    Post subject:  

wow... no offense intended, as its no bad thing, but puppy users are generally older than I thought ...

I'm 25, started using Puppy in early/mid 2009... Not got a degree yet, but will be doing computer science in Oct this year, after getting more into programming and such (aside from php), thanks to Puppy Smile

MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 19:46    Post subject:  

Played with the hype of the times, the Sinclair ZX-81 in my mid-teens Razz Razz Razz.

Cheers Smile/
MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
majorfoo

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 20:22    Post subject:  

80 and counting
Last edited by majorfoo on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 10:45; edited 1 time in total
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar 2011, 22:20    Post subject:  

26, still have an old Lisa 2 that I acquired years ago and was my first computer. As far as I know the only one my age that knows COBOL too.
GustavoYz

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 01:02    Post subject:  

b31990eea1cee9f421c933461a2f3c3dd741a58b

Last edited by GustavoYz on Sat 19 Jan 2013, 07:08; edited 2 times in total
Bernie_by_the_Sea

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar 2011, 12:23    Post subject:  

Age 83. I retired in 1975 and I had both time and money to spend on toys. My first home computer was an Interact 16K I bought in 1979, http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=1004&st=1, followed by a C64, Coleco Adam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Adam , Timex 1000, TI-99/4A and an IBMPC XT, all before 1984. Half of these cost over $500 ($1000 in today's dollars), had only 16Kb RAM and used a TV set for a monitor. I wrote (and sold) programs for all of them until the late-80's. Besides BASIC, I used 8080 and 6510 assembler and wrote subroutines in machine language.

I've played with Linux (mostly Debian and its variants) on and off since 2004. Puppy is simple after years of trying to get tape cassettes to load, having to assemble my own serial port board from a box of parts, and using a 300-baud acoustic modem and a terminal to communicate with bulletin boards -- and that’s just the hardware side -- with early software you sometimes had to write to the screen pixel-by-pixel just to get alphanumeric characters and you got “music” from tone generators. Any OS over 32Kb was hugely bloated. Puppy brings back some of the fun of home computing.
Laie

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 05:13    Post subject:  

Age 51,
Sinclair QL was my first one.
tubeguy

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 08:25    Post subject:  

I thought I responded to this one, but I guess my 46 year old brain is throwing errors. Back in my 20's I never would have guessed I'd still be alive today, but I guess I got lucky. I honestly thought I would die in a spectacular car crash or drug overdose. Go figure. Now it's simple, clean living, early to bed, early to rise, very little drama. I quite like this life I have now.
tubeguy

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 08:30    Post subject: Re: Well, I'm surprised  

SilverPuppy wrote:
Wow, I thought that more people here were like me, young and stupid. Shocked I'm not sure which is more surprising, the general age of the group, or that WhoDo isn't 25 like me! Just an impression I got.

How old is Barry?

Barry is about 61.

http://bkhome.org/bkauler/

GustavoYz

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 02:22    Post subject:  

I'm surprised to see that most puppy's users are between 51-60, according this poll...
Well, at least puppy users who participate in polls. Laughing

Page 7 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: