If Puppy didn't exist, what distro would you be using?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Rattlehead

If Puppy didn't exist, what distro would you be using?

#1 Post by Rattlehead »

Just for fun, in a parallel universe where Puppy had never been invented, what distro you think you would be running now?

For me I think it would be Arch, because I have the impression that you can customize it as much as Puppy; I like that their "manual" is a wiki, so you can use it and have things your way...

(A bit of a contradiction here, as I only would have the degree of geekery necesary to run Arch due to all these years of learning in the friendly, I-install-in-5-minutes Puppy... :) )

What about you?

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

I would be using W98 lite. Other Linuxes would be too hard for me to get started. Puppy gave me the wizards that made all the good stuff possible...

rg66

#3 Post by rg66 »

Porteus with Xfce
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

Slitaz Linux, very much like puppy-linux except for the breakneck development and thousands of spin-offs. I am guessing FatDog64 would be excluded as well.

Bindee

#5 Post by Bindee »

greengeek wrote:I would be using W98 lite. Other Linuxes would be too hard for me to get started. Puppy gave me the wizards that made all the good stuff possible...
You have to be joking? :shock:

Mint and Ubuntu is now more user friendly than puppy from everything from hardware detection to easy single click deb install files and easy package and security updates.

Sadly puppy seems to have lost it's way from it's original concept and is now more time consuming complex than just booting up a Ubuntu live disk on standard settings.

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

PCLinuxOS or Mint.

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

AntiX-14 or 15
OR
WattOS-mini (the version with pekwm as the window manager)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

witekjeden

#8 Post by witekjeden »

Cyanogenmod. I use only Puppy (Wary, Quirky). For what computer if Puppy and Puppy-like does not exist? Destory computer next go shopping tablet and work with them.

bark_bark_bark

#9 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I would be using Windows 7 and Slackware.

Arch linux is a poor excuse of a distro. It is unstable and everything changes for no reason.

rokytnji

#10 Post by rokytnji »

in a parallel universe
Hopefully, I would have learned FreeBSD with Fluxbox. Cuz right now. It is kicking my a$$.
:(

Colonel Panic

#11 Post by Colonel Panic »

It's hard to tell, because one of the reasons I've been able to try so many different distros in the last six years is that I've been able to take advantage of Puppy's excellent and easy to use iso-burning programs when I've downloaded isos of other distros.

Maybe I'd be using Vector, Zenwalk or AntiX.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Tue 25 Aug 2015, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

Bindee wrote:You have to be joking?

Mint and Ubuntu is now more user friendly than puppy from everything from hardware detection to easy single click deb install files and easy package and security updates..
True - but what I loved about W98 lite and what I love about puppy is the feeling of having my OS do exactly what I want, and none of what I don't want.

Other Linuxes do so much behind the scenes these days (including auto updates which I loathe) that I have no trust for them.

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

I'd be on Win 7... Puppy was not my intro to Linux per se, but it is what turned that introduction into a serious, happening thing.

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

Still running Windows XP Pro as primary system on my old machine. Just too good to let go. Thing is, everything works and it works well. Can't beat it for compatability. Besides, all my favourite programs are Windows based. I have Puppy as frugal installs but to be honest, I hardly use it. Having said that, I love the concept of frugal installs where you basically have one big base file as your OS which stays the same and read-only. That together with add-on SFS files for your programs which are also read-only, really does limit the chances of error. No registry ala Windows is a big plus too.

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

OS2

But it is really hard to get new programs for it. :shock:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

" I would be using W98 lite "

A brilliant program.
Used ram like Win95.

I had 3 Backup versions on my hard drive and one cd backup.
In cases of a driver making it iffy etc.

I used to swap them around with XtreeGold and Norton's Navigator.
Easy peasy reboot it was.

I still have backup versions of XP and Win 7 on my hard drives.
XP I could move around with Avast Boot cd....
another great piece of software.

And then when Puppy 2.1 came out?????
I could do awesome things with Puppy.

98lite...made by an Aussie Shane Brooks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_o ... t_Explorer

Chris.

jplt

#17 Post by jplt »

Definitely Debian or a debian based distro like AntiX.

oui

#18 Post by oui »

the best distro is probably NuTyx as it offers all possibilities really perfect:

- build LFS/BLFS almost automatically entirely from sources (very easy) out a preinstalled NuTyx base or more, or out an other Linux (each one having the same bash options! you can compile in a graphic environment and continue to use the PC...)
- it is possible to build differently as set (other / more packages in the base)
- install LFS entirely from binaries from git from NuTyx using a fast (a few minutes to install the base) installer ISO and after that tool chains to install fast complete environment as x.org, kde, xfce etc (a few minutes to get an operable graphic mode Linux as start for more)
- install LFS base from script out an other Linux (each one having the same bash options!)
- produce an ISO of you installation and start it

NuTyx has two problems:

as pure French distro until last year, not enough developpers (NuTyx has now an English site including forum)

as rolling from using external sources it was possible to encountre in the last times two kind of disturb at compiling time: Bugs from NuTyx plus changes on the external sources depositories... NuTyx did decide a few days ago in August 2015 to frost the sources on the own git so that the second problem is perhaps solved in the future.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Bindee wrote:
greengeek wrote:I would be using W98 lite. Other Linuxes would be too hard for me to get started. Puppy gave me the wizards that made all the good stuff possible...
You have to be joking? :shock:

Mint and Ubuntu is now more user friendly than puppy from everything from hardware detection to easy single click deb install files and easy package and security updates.

Sadly puppy seems to have lost it's way from it's original concept and is now more time consuming complex than just booting up a Ubuntu live disk on standard settings.
I don't know so much. I think it's the multiplicity of wizards, etc., that's attracting all the new users to Puppy that we seem to be experiencing. It makes it so easy to set it up.....it was this fact, amongst others (small footprint, etc) that made me give it a whirl last year; and I'm glad I did. So much so, in fact, that I ditched the 'buntus and went 'all-Puppy' about 4 months ago. Haven't got a Windows machine in the house.....but I did like Win95 & 98, back in the day.

As for myself, I have to agree with Ted Dog. I'd run SliTaz. SliTaz 4.0, probably.....'cos although it's unmaintained nowadays (apart from security patches), it's so much more stable than the new 'SliTaz-Rolling' concept. That's got a whole heap of bugs to be ironed-out.....and there's too much that doesn't work properly still.

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

oui

#20 Post by oui »

Mike Walsh wrote:As for myself, I have to agree with Ted Dog. I'd run SliTaz. SliTaz 4.0, probably.....'cos although it's unmaintained nowadays (apart from security patches), it's so much more stable than the new 'SliTaz-Rolling' concept. That's got a whole heap of bugs to be ironed-out.....and there's too much that doesn't work properly still.
as I am in SliTaz now (and days along before) I can say that SliTaz-Rolling is really stable :roll: . Rolling is the field where the next generation of developpers is active and they are good... The French seniors controll as you did say the security comportment of the distro.

The problem of SliTaz is to really be completely open: Nobody can say that he is the king of that or that part like in other / some distro. And for this reason it is perhaps less attractive...

The second problem is don't to update the SliTaz Scratch book,,, That is bad as this book did open the ways for new developpers (it is the same in Puppy :roll: )

SliTaz has some side being un equaled by other distro:
- Slitaz Panel
- in version 1.0 yet 4 languages! today no limit. Russian is usual as new coders are partially Russian guy's! Chinese also!
- transparent site organisation and management: slitaz.org, mirror.slitaz.org, forum.slitaz.org, doc.slitaz,org, etc. ... Puppy can learn a lot!
- perfect wiki! the page older in some languages are automatic marked!
- perfection in details (try Xombrero in Slitaz! all works definitively perfect)
- actualized SliTaz from Scratch (but not uptodate: it is only a new version for the actual tool for the initial version of slitaz! that is the error!)
- perfect use of virtual network server adapted for user knowledge: nobody have to be a real hobby coder to use /var/www ! only put your link into /var/www and it can go (Debian offers somewhat equivalent but it is better you are a real coder!)