Who's in charge?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
ecomoney

#106 Post by ecomoney »

Raffy wrote:The forum is for sharing ideas and not for asking/challenging another member. By all means tell us what you think to be the right answers to your own questions. Then everyone would feel better.
Im sorry, sometimes I laugh when Im at the keyboard too, but then Puppy should be fun.

To quote a few numbers Ive estimated before, (hint - theyre not binary)

Puppy Linux Developers.......100's?
Puppy Linux Users.................100's of 100's?
Potential Puppy Linux users....100's of 100's of 100's?

Of course the Devs are really important, and the Devs need to know what to Develop for puppy to succeed in its mission, for then they are a successful Dev too.

I dont believe that the council would fully represent the full range of the people that use puppy, in reasonably accurate proportions, with the structure WhoDo has suggested.

Beem has the highest post count here, mostly from helping in the Beginners Help. Shouldnt he be consulted as to what puppy needs to change the most to meet its aims?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ttuuxxx

#107 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote:
Beem has the highest post count here, mostly from helping in the Beginners Help. Shouldnt he be consulted as to what puppy needs to change the most to meet its aims?
Actually I've been posting in here and have a higher count than Beem, and below is a list of the top 10 posters in the forum oh ya, WhoDo is #11 and Ecomoney is way down at #30!!! and the people ahead of me have 2yrs min more time on the forum so it shouldn't take long before I hit #1, maybe another year or so, lol
ttuuxxx

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/memberlist.php

ps.. You know micko right ecomoney? well he's the one just ahead of you on the list #29 and he only joined last Oct, you've been here 3yrs longer than micko, lol
ttuuxxx
Attachments
numberofpost.jpg
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 1291 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Sage

#108 Post by Sage »

This kind of beauty contest is quite despicable. Two of those cited shouldn't be in the above list at all and, of the rest, I would only rely utterly on the advice from a further two - even they may not necessarily be the obvious ones.
By the same token, although my contributions are racking up, mainly due to length of service, I would hate to think that any of my social commentary be included towards a badge of honour. Indeed, as an IT outsider, I tend to ask the questions. So apart from a few well chosen words on HW topics, the value of my 3K+ entries probably approaches nil in terms of adding to the development of the mutt.
How about you?

ttuuxxx

#109 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey sage I think anyone who hits 10,000 post should get a free official Puppy cd sent to him :)
right now we only have 1 in like 5+years lol, so I don't think it would break the bank.
well unless puppy got really popular.
ttuuxxx

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#110 Post by Billwho? »

droope wrote:Hey, you know, i've said good things to you in the past... but i am getting a weird urge to blow your head off with a shotgun. :shock:

Please, PLEASE stop talking against Whodo's way of doing things. Or I will :twisted:
If you are referring to that fellow who used to post here occasionally called ecomoney. I've had the same urge recently. But have decided to follow WhoDo's example and "send him to Coventry" like WhoDo did with ttuuxxx at one stage. The only difference is I only supplied a "one-way ticket" so any posts by ecomoney now are obviously a figment of my imagination and I simply by-pass them to move on to the next real post in the thread.

I find that I am feeling much calmer now and my murderous urges have dropped off to almost nil.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

Aitch

#111 Post by Aitch »

Billwho

That's good advice to anyone having personality clashes/problems
I know I've had a few & wish I'd have done it sooner

Aitch :)

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#112 Post by Billwho? »

The only down side I have found so far is that I seem to be finding a lot of imaginary hits to my searches these days. Oh well, hopefully things will start to settle down soon and my imagination will go back to the way it used to be.

bugman

#113 Post by bugman »

i am at #41 and have never posted a single thing of consequence

[hooray for me]

ecomoney

#114 Post by ecomoney »

Your right Ttuxxx for clearing that up. Beems post count is mostly in the Users or beginners help section, therefore he woul have a good knowledge of which questions he has to answer over and over again, and would therefore have a better idea of Where puppy needs development in order to make it popular.

My post count? Well? I dont get my views of what Puppy needs soley from being on the forum 16 hours a day, I spend time with Puppy and its users face to face. On the other hand, while Im on here Im not making any money, which has been cited as my reason for being here.

The reason we all have different opinions is because we all have different experiences. The councils decisions, to represent everybody, must represent a wide range of experiences and opinions.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

01micko

#115 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx wrote:.. You know micko right ecomoney? well he's the one just ahead of you on the list #29 and he only joined last Oct, you've been here 3yrs longer than micko, lol
ttuuxxx
hehe... most of them in Pwidgets thread! I think I own more than half the posts there! And it is the longest thread on the forum by far!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ComputerBob

#116 Post by ComputerBob »

Lots of heat - very little light.

I've read every thread involving ecomoney's bug reports, suggestions, controversies, etc., and I just don't understand how this group of people can be so ingrown, so thin-skinned, so defensive, and can so happily shower so much hatred onto one person who it appears to me has sincerely tried to help IMPROVE Puppy Linux for all users like me, not just for his own purposes.

So maybe he hasn't showered the powers-that-be with as much fawning praise and blind subservience as some of you demand. You would all be wise to get over yourselves and your pitiful little "I'm in charge!" power-grabs, and deal with the issues that he has brought up, instead of treating him as "the enemy" for bringing them up.

In my experience "benevolent dictatorships" rarely survive to s second generation. As an outsider, it appears to me that Puppy will be another example of that.

Puppy Linux itself is a wonderful thing. But I'm back in the market for something to take Puppy's place on the charity PCs that I recycle, because it appears to me that the Puppy community is infected with rabies, and I really don't want to be associated with the hateful groupthink that has been happening here.
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

ttuuxxx

#117 Post by ttuuxxx »

[quote="ComputerBob"]Lots of heart .quote]
Sorry Bob but your about 3 days late, no power struggle here, Barry's back and he's topdog, Once again he's the dictator. As for ecomoney well you can't grow roses with lemon juice.
ttuuxxx

James C

#118 Post by James C »

Ttuuxxx beat me in posting a response. :)

We do know who is in charge now and I believe he knows Puppy"s "mission".WhoDo did a fine job while he was in charge as coordinator, a rather thankless job.Besides, he was picked by BarryK to lead 4.20 and that is good enough for me.

I do not see a time when everyone is perfectly satisfied with Puppy, or any other OS for that matter. There are too many hardware variables as well as personal preferences as to which programs to include or exclude and how those programs will work, or not work, as the case may be.

Someone has to be in charge to make the final decisions, whatever his or her job title may be, and they cannot and will not make everyone happy.That is an impossible task.

For those who spend time on other linux forums it is rather clear that this type of thing happens to every distro, people complain, troll and flame. The only difference is on most other forums threads get locked and people get banned.

01micko

#119 Post by 01micko »

ComputerBob wrote: ............because it appears to me that the Puppy community is infected with rabies, and I really don't want to be associated with the hateful groupthink that has been happening here.
So you've never been to the Mandriva forum? Plenty of passion there too. DSL? Tried that forum? :lol: :lol: :lol:
...and I just don't understand how this group of people can be so ingrown, so thin-skinned,....
C'mon Bob? Lighten up! You can always "change the channel" :wink:
Good luck in your quest to find a "better OS" for recycled computers, but I've a feeling you'll be back.

You don't need to get involved in the Politics. Some are probably oblivious to it. I find it entertaining!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

raffy

correction

#120 Post by raffy »

... here other members correct you and hope you get it.

Computerbob, ecomoney indeed has fine work to show for the community, but he is not alone. Those others go about helping in the forum and rarely do "preacher" stuff.

What you've seen in the recent posts above is impatience by some members on the returning "me vs you" dialogue, which they wanted to put behind.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

ecomoney

#121 Post by ecomoney »

Thank you for the confirmation Computer Bob, I thought I was being paranoid for a moment!

Ok, Im an open source "evangelist". I talk about my work on here quite a a bit, others dont...they just PM me. Open source evangelists dont have massive forum post counts....they cant....theyre out all day actually using Puppy with real people, not compiling code. Many of them do more than me, they just dont shout about it.

But to be of more use in the community we need Developers to develop what we see the people need, and thats a full time job too.

And then there is the retired people, who have the time to program for a "hobby". Should we deny them a hobby just because we know that if they made puppy a certain way, it would benefit more people? Its their hobby to customize to suit themselves, why would they? Little wonder they object to my suggestions/"bug"fixes.

I think were forgetting who started this thread and posed the question? Nathan F. Ive been around here long enough to have used Grafpup Linux before. (Heres a Grafpup review getting a perfect 10/10 at linux.com). He's obviously had to give up work on it, because his work has not been ECONOMICALLY SUPPORTED.

Theres actually quite a few talented Devs on here in dire financial circumstances. Whats more, because of their circumstances they can also see the need.

The best way our "evangelists" can support puppy, is to support its most talented Developers, both with the means to continue their work, and the information they need to make puppy popular. Example Here.

Now that would positively reroute puppy's present perilous path towards a hobbyists distro.

If we dont want a hobbyist distro, we should be thinking of ways we can get people like Nathan F a way to make a living out of Puppy. Hes exactly the sort of person we should be helping, and in doing so helping a lot many more non-developers in the process.

Pizzasgood

#122 Post by Pizzasgood »

Just popping in to give a collective thank you. Between studying, finals, packing, and moving out, I haven't checked on the forum since Tuesday. I was a bit worried about what I'd find tonight.

I haven't read some of the other threads yet and it's getting pretty late, so I'll have to finish later. But I'm glad to see that we've mostly settled down now, other than the stragglers who didn't get their say in earlier...

Re: Puppy 5 and councils: sounds interesting. I'll have to read more tomorrow so I know what's going on, but it sounds like WhoDo has the right idea.

G'night.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

cthisbear

#123 Post by cthisbear »

"i am at #41 and have never posted a single thing of consequence "
Yeah! but your looks are better than mine.

" I was a bit worried about what I'd find tonight."
Spoilsport...I was just about to post.

" This kind of beauty contest is quite despicable."
No arguments there.
And I also want to up my ranking. That is a W.

Chris.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#124 Post by Billwho? »

I myself am currently at #97. After doing a quick-ish search I found that we have 4974 members spread over 265 pages who have yet to make their first post. That's a lot of members in the silent ranks. I hope we haven't scared them all away.

Sage

#125 Post by Sage »

I myself am currently at #97.
Always No.1 in my book, Bill.