access my wireless router via a d-link dwl-510 card?

Booting, installing, newbie

access my wireless router via a d-link dwl-510 card?

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi there,

Can anybody walk a linux novice through the procedure. I have an old computer with a gfx card with tv out. I would love to have puppy sat under my tv in my front room.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 Post by Guest »

#3 Post by Guest »

my msm is omikeedwardso@msn.com if anybody feels they can talk me through it.

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

There are two issues here. One is getting wireless to work, the second id TV-out on the video card.

Wireless under Puppy is in progress. My card works, with some tweaking, but it is a ralink chipset (Linksys card). Your choice of the Linux driver is correct, but I believe Puppy does not have the compiling development tools, nor the kernel source code package that the Linux driver would need.

A few chaps are currently writing how-to articles on wirless in general, myself included. This is where the wiki will come in handy. If you are patient, then eventually it may work.

It looks like from the ndiswrapper wiki page, this card has some quirks with the native Windows drivers that come with the card.

If you are sure it is a DWL-510 (and not the DWL-G510), than it is a realtek chipset. You can look it up on the compatibiliy list, located here.

From the quote on your card's entry at the wiki;
D-Link-provided drivers give huge system lags, system stops responding for full seconds at a time. The Realtek driver works well, but to make the driver recognize the card you must manually edit the file NET8180.INF and change all references to the pci-id 10ec:8180 into 1186:3300. Note that you much change 8180 to 3300 only when it appears near or next to 10ec, and leave it otherwise.
If you feel up to the task, you can give it a try. But, ndiswrapper appears to need some changes first, probably, I assume, that will be in the next release of Puppy.

So, the driver you mentioned probably will not work in Puppy. Ndiswrapper may work, once it is sorted out in the next release of Puppy.

In terms of the tv-out card, I have no idea, but others may.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith