[CLOSED] Scroll wheel makes Applications "Disappear"

This is for bugs in a version of Puppy 4.x that is still under development. If you have bugs for a released version of Puppy, please post them in the forum's main Bugs section, not here. Bugs are when a program does not function as intended. Usability issues are not bugs.
ecomoney

[CLOSED] Scroll wheel makes Applications "Disappear"

#1 Post by ecomoney »

Using the scroll wheel over the desktop causes the desktop to "switch" to a new pane. To "Linux newbs" who are not familiar with multiple desktops, this appears to be a "crash". This can occur easily with worn mouse scroll wheels typical of the age of equipment puppy is designed for.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Not a bug, and not a usability problem. It's very usable. I use it all the time. The problem is user ignorance, and I don't mean that disrespectfully - they can't help not knowing about great features like this. They'll figure it out eventually. Then they'll love it. Same goes for rolling up a window by scrolling on it.

Pandering to new users can only be taken so far. Eventually you reach the point where you're dumbing things down unacceptably.

This is Linux, not Windows, and not a Windows clone. The new users are simply going to have to learn a couple new things. Learning is how you grow.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ecomoney

#3 Post by ecomoney »

As an experienced developer, you will know how to switch it back on then PG?

Ive witnessed the effects of this on "linux newbs", and it severely dents peoples confidence at a time when they are already very fearful of the unknown (trying linux for the first time).

People have to be linux users before they can be linux developers. Changing this setting will help get new users over the initial ten minutes, and add to our user base considerably, as well as blow micro$ofts FUD that linux is difficult to use out of the water.

Puppy is an "starter" or "ambassador" linux...let them have that feature when the get to debian ;-)

Its a "bug" ;-)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Patriot

#4 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

How is it a bug when it is an original feature ? It works as intended as it was designed to be, thus it is not a bug.

Kindly note that this feature is hardcoded into JWM and as far as I'm aware it cannot be overridden. Since I find it working as intended, I won't be making any changes to it. Kindly send your request to joe himself if you insists this to be a bug.

Rgds

ecomoney

#5 Post by ecomoney »

Im reporting it as a bug because it causes inconvenience/confusion/confidence-lost to puppies users, as all bugs do. There are a lot more puppy users than there are developers, and also developers know how to "get under the hood" and set things like this up easily if they require them. I understand this is just one major feature of Linux over Windows.

Whodo, if you consider bug reports from end users "Spam" then you are missing opportunities to improve puppy and increase its usage. Attempting to ridicule their reporters further harms Puppies ability to give users what they require. It eventually serves only to keep users using locked, closed and differently flawed Miscro$oft products....and the greater problems to everyone (including linux users/developers) that brings.

I look forward to working with less personally sensitive project co-ordinators in the future, who share a concern for the majority of puppies current, and potential future users.

Whatever, there are "bigger fish to fry".

bugman

#6 Post by bugman »

this is NOT a bug, neither is it new to puppy

change the title of the thread, please

[and stop the damn bickering]

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

bugman wrote:this is NOT a bug, neither is it new to puppy

change the title of the thread, please
Done!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com