XWIN and multiple console terminals?

Using applications, configuring, problems
puppypilgrim

XWIN and multiple console terminals?

#1 Post by puppypilgrim »

Is there a way to have XWIN and multiple instances of a text-console such as obtained by pressing ctrl-alt-F1 and ctrl-alt-F2 running concurrently?

I ask because the alias commands I set in /etc/profile only work under text-console mode and not under XWIN RXVT mode. Therefore, any further script programming I do (I am assuming here), will only run under text-console mode and not under the windows manager.

BTW, how many instances of console mode\logins does Puppy support after exiting FVWM95 by pressing ctrl-alt-backspace?

Thanks.

Bruce B

Re: XWIN and multiple console terminals?

#2 Post by Bruce B »

puppypilgrim wrote: I ask because the alias commands I set in /etc/profile only work under text-console mode and not under XWIN RXVT mode. Therefore, any further script programming I do (I am assuming here), will only run under text-console mode and not under the windows manager.
I'm using bash and /root/.bashrc for my aliases. v1.0.3 includes bash and I set it up to use bash by placing the following line in /etc/profile:
SHELL=/bin/bash

It has been working very well.

Bash is the default in X, but when you leave X you will have to start bash manually. You probably should exit bash before starting X but maybe (probably) it doesn't make any difference.

I recommend in your case to try the SHELL=

Credit to GuestToo for the SHELL= tip.
BTW, how many instances of console mode\logins does Puppy support after exiting FVWM95 by pressing ctrl-alt-backspace?
I leave X differently with the menu. In my experience the aliases stayed, but if you type 'exit' with the primary shell it cleared the aliases that were set in /etc/profile.

puppypilgrim

#3 Post by puppypilgrim »

Thanks for the info. Bruce B. I will try that tonight.

puppypilgrim

#4 Post by puppypilgrim »

Thanks for the info. Bruce B. I will try that tonight.