How to use the microphone on eeePC 900A?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
NewB

How to use the microphone on eeePC 900A?

#1 Post by NewB »

(I meant to post this in the "Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel" thread. Don't know how to delete this post, but I'm posting there as well.)

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so let me begin by thanking all of the Puppy developers, and especially tempestuous for making all the pets available in this forum. I bought an eeePC 900A as a dedicated skype device for my mom. After loading the pets in this forum I've got almost all the hardware working. The internal microphone, however, does not work. If I plug an external mic into the side it works fine. ALSA has a setting for input source of Mic or Front Mic, but changing this has no effect. I already tried the tempestuous patch to snd-hda-intel in eee-snd-hda-intel-patched-k2.6.25.16.pet, and I added "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" to modprobe.conf.

I believe the problem is that the 900A uses the realtek ALC269, which I don't think is supported in the 1.0.16 version of ALSA. This is the same chip used in the 901, and I found a patch to the 1.0.16 version of ALSA which is supposed to fix the microphone issue on the 901. [https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/259878] With only a few changes I think this could support the 900A as well. Unfortunately, I'm a Puppy newbie, and after looking at some of the unleashed documentation I think trying to compile this is way beyond my level. If anyone could help me with this me and my mom would really appreciate it. I suppose she could live with using an external mic, but knowing her it would get lost behind the couch and I'd be stuck trying to explain how to reattach it without being able to hear her! :?

Thanks again!!!!

Dromeno

it is the hardware not puppy

#2 Post by Dromeno »

The subject + description of this post says it all. Just use the external mic...

superattilius

#3 Post by superattilius »

hello
sorry for my bad english
900a work with fatdog 111

http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/kirk/Fatdog/iso/111/

skype work
webcam work

bye

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

NewB wrote:I believe the problem is that the 900A uses the realtek ALC269, which I don't think is supported in the 1.0.16 version of ALSA.
snd-hda-intel ALSA driver now updated to support newer Eee models with ALC269 variants of the Intel audio chip, here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 741#237741

superattilius

#5 Post by superattilius »

sorry for my english
i installed eee-snd-hda-intel-patched-k2.6.25.16.pet then reboot but my mic with skype don't work
my mic work with fatdog 111 with the kernel 2.6.28.6

thanks

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

superattilius wrote:my mic work with fatdog 111 with the kernel 2.6.28.6
Yes, of course newer versions of ALSA should work better.

Once the updated driver is installed, apparently some alsamixer settings need to be adjusted -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/15

NewB

Thanks Tempestuous!

#7 Post by NewB »

tempestuous wrote:snd-hda-intel ALSA driver now updated to support newer Eee models with ALC269 variants of the Intel audio chip, here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 741#237741
Thanks tempestuous, this is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I already gave the 900A to my mom, so I won't be able to test this out until I make another trip to see her. Makes me think I should buy another netbook (with Puppy, of course) just for me. 8)

azstew

#8 Post by azstew »

If you still have Zandros on the SSD, and are running Puppy from another device, there's no need to install Skype in Puppy.

I run Puppee 4.2 from an SDHC card in the card reader slot.

Mount sda1 on the Zandros and find the Skype file that starts Skype.

Drag it to the Puppee desktop, and create a link.

It took some futzing with alsamixer to get the whole ball of wax working.

When you restart Puppee, the Skype icon will be the triangle w/!.

Mount sda1, and the icon changes to the one you use.

Click and Viola! ;-)

mawebb88

Puppy using Xandros Skype

#9 Post by mawebb88 »

azstew wrote:If you still have Zandros on the SSD, and are running Puppy from another device, there's no need to install Skype in Puppy.

I run Puppee 4.2 from an SDHC card in the card reader slot.

Mount sda1 on the Zandros and find the Skype file that starts Skype.

Drag it to the Puppee desktop, and create a link.

It took some futzing with alsamixer to get the whole ball of wax working.

When you restart Puppee, the Skype icon will be the triangle w/!.

Mount sda1, and the icon changes to the one you use.

Click and Viola! ;-)
Briliate idea. I have a EeePC901 with Puppy (actually several) as a frugal installation on the bigger SSD. So I will try your trick.
Rgds
Mike