Ati Radeon 9200 SE, 1024x768, Puppy 4.1.2 [resolved]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Leon

Ati Radeon 9200 SE, 1024x768, Puppy 4.1.2 [resolved]

#1 Post by Leon »

In one of the Puppy 4.0alpha releases Xorg 1024x768 resolution was omitted for Ati Radeon 9200 SE.

When installed Puppy 4.1.2 that I still have for my everyday use I successfully upgraded one of the previous pup_save.2fs files to keep support for Xorg 1024x768 resolution.

This Puppy works very well for me and I would like to remaster it with support for Xorg 1024x768 resolution included.

I would like to get an advise of someone of you who are familiar with the drivers for Ati graphics cards:

1. Is it possible to determine which Xorg package files that I already have in my upgraded pup_save.2fs from previous install are missing in Puppy 4.1.2 ISO file?

or

2. Which package to use to upgrade Xorg driver for Puppy 4.1.2? I'm searching for the smallest one that supports Xorg 1024x768 resolution for Ati Radeon 9200 SE.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Leon on Tue 05 May 2009, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

you can see in /initrd/pup_rw/, what files are in your savefile.

It might be, that /etc/X11/xorg.conf is the clue.
If the working one is different from a new one, it is likely, that /usr/sbin/xorgwizard changed in the later puppys.
I think it has undergone some changes.
So you might run a new savefile, copy the old xorgwizard, and run it.

If it does not help, try to copy the files from /initrd/pup_rw/usr/X11R7/ to your new system.

Important: just copy files from /initrd/pup_rw/, but do not write there, this would confuse the layered filesystem and could corrupt your savefile.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

ravensrest

#3 Post by ravensrest »

I use a Radeon 9200SE also. Take a look at my Xorg.conf shown in

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41406

You should also have a file named something like xorg.conf.ATI_RADEON_[mymonitor] in /etc/x11/. That should be copied to your xorg.conf. Some of the options are explained in /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/cards. The actual drivers are contained in /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers.

In a terminal, type "xrandr" to see what modes your computer thinks it has available.

Don't know if this helps much, but it can be useful general info.
BS

Leon

#4 Post by Leon »

Mark and ravensrest,

Thank you for your quick answers.
MU wrote:It might be, that /etc/X11/xorg.conf is the clue.
If the working one is different from a new one, it is likely, that /usr/sbin/xorgwizard changed in the later puppys.
I think it has undergone some changes.
ravensrest wrote:You should also have a file named something like xorg.conf.ATI_RADEON_[mymonitor] in /etc/x11/. That should be copied to your xorg.conf.
You told me what I already knew but didn't knew that I know. :wink:

The cause was an additional setting in xorg.conf file that not existed in previous xorg.conf files.

I was already used to manually modify xorg.conf file by entering Modes "1024x768" setting in "Screen" section because the xorgwizard lists only two of "640x480" resolutions available for my computer.

I overlooked the new "PreferredMode" "640x480" setting in "Monitor" section when appeared for the first time.

I modified both settings from "640x480" to "1024x768" and that solved the problem.