Puppy Jaunty Alpha 6 Bugs

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

ttuuxxx wrote:I knew it !!! lol That when I went to compile firefox it would give a error about apng, please update PNG with the APNG patch

# configure: error: --with-system-png won't work because the system's libpng doesn't have APNG support.

ttuuxxx

Ps I just reused the ones I had in the repo that we already patched with apng and its compiling now :)
ttuuxxx
ttuuxx,
would you mind compiling the APNG-enabled png source in ubuntu jaunty, for max compatibility? and provide the PET packages (as well as the _DEV package).

I posted a reply to you on my blog, when firefox is working, I can put it on ibiblio, to show how it's done, and how to do the database entry properly. Will put the updated png pkg there too.

This new repo system is new to WhoDo also, so I'll do a few to show how it is done. In practice it is very simple.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

rcrsn51 wrote:@tronkel: I believe that the HPLIP packages also use the file /usr/bin/foomatic-gswrapper. If so, it will also need the -U patch. Or you could try one of Patriot's HPLIP packages for CUPS 1.3.9.
It would be good if someone could create a hpijs package that works in puppy5 Jaunty pup.

As I have been communicating with ttuuxx, these packages can get put up on the official pet_packages-5 repo. WhoDo will be handling this, but as it is all new to everyone, I'll upload the first few so everyone can see how it's done.

When alpha7 is released, the Puppy Package Manager will have 'puppy-5' repo listed, so users will be able to browse and install any of these packages ...firefox, hpijs, etc.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

@BarryK: The hpijs-3.9.4-dynppds.pet from here looks good if people want to test it.

musher0

Sound in Puppy

#19 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

I may be barking beyond my status, but if I may say so, sound has more than once been a problem in Puppy. I don't think it's a version problem. Whether it's in the Puppy 3 series or in the new layout here, it seems that whenever GXine is present, you can't use cdplay or its cousins (XfreeCD, for example).

Of course I'm not a programmer and I don't have a programmer's understanding of the problem. I'm just handy with configurations (I think). But if this music-playing conflict could be solved -- or explained --, if the music playing programs could play in Puppy 100 % of the time, without fail, above any criticism, beyond a doubt, as sure as there's snow in winter, whatever the music playing program, you can be sure that this former composer -- and all music lovers -- would be most grateful.

And Puppy's reputation would be further enhanced, obviously.

Only my two cents worth of course.

Sincerely,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

Sound in Puppy

#20 Post by musher0 »

Hello, again.

Forgive me if I insist, but I think it is important that Puppy has 100 % music-playing capacity with any music-playing program. Indeed, what's the use of having the capacity to download all and any file from any repository if you can't surf and play a CD at the same time. (A variation on "can't walk and chew gum at the same time", if you will.)

And that has been my experience again, a few days ago with GXine and Opera.
GXine does a fine job of playing mpegs relayed to it by Opera, but it cannot play a CD for any length of time while you're browsing independently with Opera 9.64. GXine just stops. If I was in Windows, I'd venture to say that they were using the same interrupt (IRC)...

Anyway, XFmedia doesn't care, it's playing some jazz on CD as I am writing these lines. And both XfMedia and GXine apparently share the same libraries? What's going on here? As I said, I'm not a programmer, I don't have a clue as to what the basic problem might be.

Has any comparative testing been done of the compatibility of music-playing programs? Any notes published and available to the general public ? In Puppy or elsewhere. I mean rigourous, lab-type, pencil and notebook right next to you to take boring notes. Yes, i said "boring". But remember the boredom at this stage will mean pleasure and ease of use for the users at their end.

They would not have to download and try programs for hours and maybe days on end to try out and finally find a suitable music-playing program or program combination. Case in point: me, last year, in my beginning phase with Puppy. But all personalities aside, I'm sure there are others who went through this.

Are there comparative tables, something like :
this music-playing program is incompatible with that other one, or with that library; or this particular combination of sound programs is a no-no in Puppy.

There would be no shame in saying so openly; on the contrary, the users might be grateful for the info and for the open-ness. And if this a limitation of Linux and / or of Puppy, well, we might as well know -- with a view to improve the situation.

Don't get me wrong, I love Puppy. For me, Puppy is the best distro around. I've tested perhaps 25 different distros before settling on Puppy. It fills all of my computing needs, except this one...

Basically, this post is a plea for proper methodology. Keeping in mind the broader picture of the ease of use for the end-user should be a prime principle. I understand this may be difficult to implement, because of the community-only base of Puppy, but still...

Have a good one.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mawebb88

Re: Sound/alsamixer

#21 Post by mawebb88 »

Béèm wrote:There is a faint sound after boot. But since previous alpha's I have to raise the sound of front and surround each time in the alsamixer to have the full sound. The setting doesn't stick.
I have been having this same sound problem in various previous Puppy's e.g. 4.2. Was ok in 4.1.2 as far as I can remember

Rgds Mike

EeePC901

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#22 Post by Béèm »

And to add to this:
The volume setting of the alsamixer don't stick between boots.
This is a longtime issue as well.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

mawebb88

Module rt2860 missing

#23 Post by mawebb88 »

Posted on 2 May 2009, 3:41 by mikepuppy
Module rt2860 missing
I have tried upup-466 (and previously 463) on my EeePC901 and cannot get connected with WiFi. The reason is that there is no rt2860 module as far as I can tell (as in Puppy 411/412/420). How do I get this loaded? I have tried loading it but it not listed anywhere.

Posted on 2 May 2009, 4:12 by mikepuppy
But rt2860 is in ppup-413
WiFi on my EeePC901 with ppup-413 works perfectly. Network Wizard did its job perfectly. So why is rt2860 missing in upup-466?

Copied from Barry's blog just for the record.
Rgds Mike

musher0

Sound in Puppy

#24 Post by musher0 »

Hi.

Me again.

Just another thought about methodology: do we have official "Puppy breakers" ? (:-) I mean people appointed to try to break a new Puppy before it is officially released ? Who will try to do incompatible things in Puppy, that the average newbie is likely to do without knowing ?

If a particular Puppy is any good, it would stand the test, no?

Just a thought. I guess this one is worth two -- American -- cents !

A la prochaine !
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

tronkel

#25 Post by tronkel »

Musher0 wrote:
do we have official "Puppy breakers" ?
That's a good idea! Test results ought to include a "unbreakability" or "robustness" index.

LOL, my wife often says to me "have you broken that Pup yet again?" after I have been trying out my latest mad theories and walks away shaking her head is if to say "you're nuts!"
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tronkel

#26 Post by tronkel »

rcrsn51 wrote:
I believe that the HPLIP packages also use the file /usr/bin/foomatic-gswrapper
Had a look for the file you mentioned and could not find it on my system - even having installed the usual fixes from here, including the ghostscript stuff. So couldn't apply the -U patch.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2b6edd5680

Then had another think. (LOL think? - unusual for me!)

I then installed the Jaunty Ghostscript package using Package Manager. It downloaded most of the packages but there were some dependencies that it couldn't find and so displayed error messages in each case.

Despite that, tried a test page and bingo! - printed out OK using the Gutenprint driver!

The package that overwrote the previous Ghostscript package has obviously configured or written something that was missing - no idea what it was. The foomatic-gswrapper file is still not in /usr/bin.

At least uPup can now print from the HP Officejet G85 so that's progress. Basically printing now works in uPup, but HP printers seem to need extra tweaking to get them to the point that they actually print - even though they can be seen in CUPS.

I chmod'd 777 -R the /var and /dev folders just to ensure that there are no permissions problems.

Also added the -U patch to any foomatic scripts I could find in /usr/bin that had the perl #! line at the top.

Thanks for the clue!
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

musher0

Sound in Puppy

#27 Post by musher0 »

@ttuxx

Many thanks for your trouble compiling beep-media-player in answer to my remark. I tried installing it on Puppy 3.02a7 and I get: "Libgio.bla.bla." missing. Couldn't find this lib in the available libraries for Puppy which you provided a while back.

I'll try it on 4.12 or 4.2, if the required libs are available.

Besides, "Jpup" ? IxQuick came up with only this reference :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=297809

with only one mention, in passing, actually.

I have upup463 set up and running on CD, is that the closest thing to JPup ? Then again, does it have the required libgio library ?

I respect your work on FireHydrant, and all your contributions for Puppy 4.2, etc., but I guess you're unwillingly proving my point: if the user does not find his need filled in the Puppy mainstream offerings, he's in for hours, perhaps days of search and experimenting.

Granted, if the user has access to a choice of repositories, his search might be shorter -- if he/she know where to look, too, of course.

Now I'm the stubborn type and I will do the searching and experimenting, I actually like it, but some people may give up more easily. We might be losing lots of would-be puppyists that way -- for lack of completeness in what we offer.

I hope it is understood that I still think that Puppy is still the best distro around -- my aim is to suggest a methodology to make it better.

The above two cents worth would be in Canadian money (:-).

All the best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#28 Post by Béèm »

Maybe you find missing lib's here.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

musher0

#29 Post by musher0 »

Allô, Béèm.

J'espère que tu vas bien.

Nope, not there, that's not a library, that's Barry's explanation of how Puppy works : http://www.puppylinux.com/development/h ... works.html

I think I'll take a break, now.

Tah-dah.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#30 Post by musher0 »

@ttuuxxx

If you have the required library handy, great. If not, well, tough. You've unwillingly proven my argument. Mind you, the other distros are worse than Puppy if you stray from their mainstream.

However they are far better with French-Canadian accents in their menus, no mix-up between UTF8 and ISO-8859-1, EVER. But that's another subject altogether. Esmourguit had told me once that Barry was doing something about it, I guess he did not. I tried the French package under jwm, it worked fine;.downloaded icewm, tested the French menus, and the accents went beserk.

I don't know how fluent or experienced BK is in languages other than English, and I'm not putting his internationalism in question. I'm disappointed, that's all. My people is used to going unnoticed in a sea of Anglophones.

Besides, I'm sure Barry has other sheep to herd.

Perhaps the Spanish-speaking or Portuguese-speaking puppyists would have something to say on the subject, or perhaps they even have found a solution to this problem? That would be a great help. Unfortunately, I barely read these languages.

Maybe it has nothing to do with Puppy and everything to do with icewm itself?

That said, I found a makeshift solution: manually loading the icewm menu in leafpad and saving it in the other language coding. It's a chore to do it every time Puppy loads... It would be much better if it could be done automatically, say, through a script.

To come back to your "BMP"package: I've unpacked your pet with Peazip, also tried it in Puppy 3.02a7, and I get the idea.

All the best, bonne continuation.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#31 Post by musher0 »

To be more precise:
the makeshift solution works in Puppies series 3 and 4. I did not try it in upu463 yet. I believe it was in DPup I tried it, and it did NOT work, the accents just got worse.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

tasmod

#32 Post by tasmod »

Unable to test it :(

Loads to menu, type puppy pfix=ram on keyboard. This is accepted, then continues to mouse selection. At this point the keyboard no longer works, so I am unable to progress further.

It's a wireless keyboard but it has never been an issue before. Odd that it accepts it at boot menu but not after during setting default mouse. :( :(
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

ttuuxxx

Re: Sound in Puppy

#33 Post by ttuuxxx »

musher0 wrote:@ttuxx

Many thanks for your trouble compiling beep-media-player in answer to my remark. I tried installing it on Puppy 3.02a7 and I get: "Libgio.bla.bla." missing. Couldn't find this lib in the available libraries for Puppy which you provided a while back.
No no I figured your using Jpup since this is a Jpup thread and it was compiled on Jpup, so it shouldn't work on 4 series or 3 series, Jpup comes with extra libs like dbus, gnome etc, and because of that most files will be missing something on earlier puppy models.
I have another version for 4 series somewhere When I find it I'll post it but really if your using series 3&4 bigbass has xmms for both which plays cd's,mps,wma etc and use winamp2 skins.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 02&t=20919

by far xmms is the best audio player for linux and has the most plugins too bad that series 4.0 didn't have gtk1.2 like series 3 did, but anyways bigbass added the missing libs so it would work on series 4.0.
ttuuxxx

ps been to Gatineau lots of times, I lived on the border of Quebec and went to Uni@Concordia in Montreal. miss the nightlife in Montreal, Sir Winstons Churchhill was a club I liked. Awww can't get poutines in Australia either or real smoked meat sandwiches.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

musher0

#34 Post by musher0 »

@ttuxxx

Bad news, cher compatriote, I'm writing this in upu466, curtesy of a coolpup info. Installed your bmp, but

1) it doesn't do CDs

2) it loads ogg files but refuses to play them. This is what I get. (Please see attached pic.)

I owe it to the truth to say that in this version, GXine does walk and chew gum at the same time... with Seamonkey.

I get nostalgic about Montreal too sometimes. There were lots of nice cafes in your area, then called the Sir-George-Williams Un. (English girls were superb in miniskirts, too...) At the time I was studying composition at Un. de Montréal with André Prévost. I miss the progressive music concerts, the repertoire films at the "St-Sulpice" Library, and the jazz at the "Black Bottom" until the wee hours of the morning. The Ottawa area is boring, but it gives me work I like to do, so why complain?

How did you get to Australia anyway ? Did you bore a looooooooooong hole from the Mtl metro ? (:-) If I was the snoopy type, I'd ask why, too ?! So you gave up Canadian huskies for Aussie dingos, eh? (:-)

TTYL
Attachments
bmp-error.jpg
(34.66 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ttuuxxx

#35 Post by ttuuxxx »

musher0 wrote:@ttuxxx

Bad news, cher compatriote, I'm writing this in upu466, curtesy of a coolpup info. Installed your bmp, but

1) it doesn't do CDs

2) it loads ogg files but refuses to play them. This is what I get. (Please see attached pic.)

I owe it to the truth to say that in this version, GXine does walk and chew gum at the same time... with Seamonkey.

I get nostalgic about Montreal too sometimes. There were lots of nice cafes in your area, then called the Sir-George-Williams Un. (English girls were superb in miniskirts, too...) At the time I was studying composition at Un. de Montréal with André Prévost. I miss the progressive music concerts, the repertoire films at the "St-Sulpice" Library, and the jazz at the "Black Bottom" until the wee hours of the morning. The Ottawa area is boring, but it gives me work I like to do, so why complain?

How did you get to Australia anyway ? Did you bore a looooooooooong hole from the Mtl metro ? (:-) If I was the snoopy type, I'd ask why, too ?! So you gave up Canadian huskies for Aussie dingos, eh? (:-)

TTYL
I met my wife on a Australian Yahoo Chat, we used to talk one the mic a lot, so she Came to Canada for a week and stayed 6weeks, lol and then I moved to Australia and the rest is history :)
Ottawa market was pretty good nightlife also, I used to go to Stoney's :) also miss the 6 Layer mud cake slice I used to get in montreal, And real pepperoni, the pepperoni you get in Australia is very dry and fatty. I still buy the odd"Blue" here but is almost $30 a six pack, when I can buy Aussie beer for like $35 a case.
ttuuxxx

wow your right it doesn't play, Gxine plays the cd fine but bmp isn't finding it for some odd reason, even if you direct it via /mnt, Maybe its a hal thing, I'll look into it.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)