Epia SP13000 only boots from USB with latest syslinux

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mskuma

Epia SP13000 only boots from USB with latest syslinux

#1 Post by mskuma »

Hi Barry

I've been trying Puppy on Via's EPIA board (ML8000A & SP13000). At first I tried the (older) ML8000A using a CF in an IDE slot & all was fine. Then I moved the CF over to the SP13000 board & found booting froze at the syslinux stage. As a newbie, I wondered what the hell was going on, but eventually figured out by replacing syslinux v3.08 with the latest v3.11, I could overcome the problem. Of course it's easy enough to apply the new version after creating a USB Puppy, but for newbies I wanted to suggest that perhaps for the next Puppy release, that you consider updating to syslinux 3.11.

Thank you.

Regards

Michael.

Marv

syslinux version

#2 Post by Marv »

I just had a very similar experience with v3.0.8. Installing Pup 1.0.6 on an 80x CF card in an IDE adapter on an Intel 815 based box. Usually run at UDMA 2. Basically identical hardware to my 1.04BB install so it stopped me for a bit when LdLinux displayed the version and hung. After some thrashing about, syslinux 2.08, 2.11 and 3.11 all booted ok, 3.08 did not. Identical syslinux.cfg files, identical pup files. Whether I used the linux version or syslinux.com didn't seem to matter, nor did playing with the DMA . My guess is a timing issue. I cobbled up a 3.11 unleashed package and it seems ok for now.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Okay, it's written down in the to-do list!