wallpaper wont stick

Using applications, configuring, problems
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

Anonymous wrote:Also, it wont shut down the computer.
When I select power off it goes through the halt command and after shutting off hda, it gets a kernel panic error and stops there with the box still running.

Gotta do it manually

. . .Anyone else have this trouble?
When we moved to the 2.6 kernel this problem dissapeared (for me) However for most people (and sometimes we must compromise) the 2.4 kernel is offering better reliability. At some point we will have a choice of kernel - for now I get a "kernel panic" - I then turn off the machine. Panic over. I remain calm.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#17 Post by Guest »

How bout your wallpaper?
Does it stick when you change it?
Is there some sort of "restore" command I could use in a .conf file (like the one that restores ALSA volume settings)?
If so, what .conf file (and syntax for a noob plz)?

ElllisD2

wallpaper wont save

#18 Post by ElllisD2 »

it started for me after i got a read-only fs error on pup001, cuz it was full. now ive removed many MB (podcast app d/l'd hella mp3s & filled me up) & i no longer have read only probs, net cache saves, pls files save, yet wallpaper wont. my left click menu has no menu anymore, think its the wm
i dont understand this. what file(s) tells puppy what values to use on pinboard?
can i reinstall pinboard?

MU

#19 Post by MU »

I tried wmsetbg some days ago, this is the background-setter of WindowMaker.

It dithers High-color-images nicer than the inbuilt background-setter I think.

Download the .tgz-archive in this .pup, and extract.
copy the file (not the whole folder) wmsetbg to /usr/bin (or where you like).
Copy the other files to /usr/lib

Then run wmsetbg yourimage

Tell me if it reports a library missing, and I'll add it.

You can launch it at startup by adding it to your /root/.xinitrc

Add this line in the beginning:
wmsetbg yourimage&

If its image is overwritten by the windowmanager, try this:
sleep 5 &&wmsetbg yourimage&

It is important not to forget the "&" in the end, or your WindowManager will not start.

Mark
Attachments
wmsetbg.pup
(121.03 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Bruce B

Re: wallpaper wont stick

#20 Post by Bruce B »

solarcontrol wrote:When I change wallpaper form the default, it changes fine, but when I reboot, it has returned to default.

How do I make it stick?
With all due respect, I've not been able to ever duplicate this problem with Puppy. I don't think there is a problem with Puppy not saving the wallpaper settings, at least in my experience.

I have however, had this problem, but only after installing window managers that were not included with Puppy.

I would suggest that if you change the background AND the file /etc/background reflects the changes you made, that the problem is nothing to do with Puppy, and something to do with a different Window manager and its method of handling background settings.

With Icewm, I delete its background executable (I forgot the name) and the background settings I make with Puppy's tool are saved and are used on all subsequent reboots, until I change them again.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#21 Post by GuestToo »

you don't need to delete icewmbg
you can if you want to
it's only about 50k upx'ed anyway

if you restart X by typing startx icewm
then only icewm will run
icewmbg, icewm-session, and icewmtray will not run

that's the way i usually run icewm

Bruce B

#22 Post by Bruce B »

GuestToo wrote:you don't need to delete icewmbg
you can if you want to
it's only about 50k upx'ed anyway

if you restart X by typing startx icewm
then only icewm will run
icewmbg, icewm-session, and icewmtray will not run

that's the way i usually run icewm
I don't delete it because of size. It has to do with behavior, something along the lines of wanting to load the theme's wallpaper, if the theme has one. Something along those lines, but I don't remember much because it was in the early days of IceWM, and it's been my habit to delete it ever since. And Puppy's background settings always work with IceWM without the icewmbg. They may work with it also, but I don't have much statistic on that. :)

I really like IceWM - actually thrilled with it. So small, yet so rich in features.

As far as startx icewm not running the extras, I didn't know that. I don't mind the extras at all.

My main point in entering this discussion is: Is there actually a problem with Puppy not saving background settings?

saintlangton

#23 Post by saintlangton »

Anonymous wrote:I spoke too soon.
On reboot it comes up with my new wallpaper for just a cpl seconds and then switches back to the default by itself... :?

Crazy.
Are you using IceWM? IceWM controls the background over the top of puppy (as far as I understand it) I use this to display a pesudo bootup screen as puppy boots 8) If you find and change the file that is being used as background and swap in the file you want as background then change it's name to the same as what the old wallpaper file was. ('litrix.jpg' at /root/.icewm/themes/puppy-xp/ if you are using the puppy-xp theme) These are hiden files so right click in a Rox window and select Display > Show hidden to find it.

Chris

#24 Post by Guest »

This has always worked for me. Just look in ~/.icewm (hidden), go to preferences and look for any entries without the # that read DesktopBackgroundColor="" and DesktopBackgroundImage="" to what you see. It is near the bottom of the page.
Bonnie

Kal

Image goes white

#25 Post by Kal »

Use MTpaint, image, scale canvas and change to your resolution size. In some cases, you may have to uncheck fix aspect ratio, save with different name and use it. Make sure you have no spaces in name. The last part may be fixed in 1.0.5. Removing the bird in preference and leaving "" has worked for me too on the background. Kal