Puppy Cloud Computing

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
puppyite

#31 Post by puppyite »

sunburnt wrote:puppyite; The thought is cloud computing, which goes with nettops and Eee PCs.
You mean like this?: Netbooks w/160GB HD
A full blown PC just isn`t needed for most folks,
Making assumptions about what most people need is a slippery slope, I recommend you turn back.
I have one but I’m a programmer. And even then a nettop and a NAS would do nicely.

Have a core OS that’s simple and reliable (like Puppy) with no-install apps.
Its a Unix and WinBlows mentality installing apps., make the apps. no-union SFS files.
You load them, use them, and unload them, simple... With no installing bulls#!+.
This begins to bring computing to a level that even grandma can deal with!
Does your grandma own a netbook or prefer to access her data or apps via NAS? Personally I find installing software a trivial task, IMO grandma can do this. Installed apps are there when you need them regardless of internet connection speed or internet availability. And your data or apps are in your possession and can never be held for ransom by an outside entity.

If your goal is to store your apps and / or data on your own local server then that is an entirely different thing. IMO it’s just a minor variation on the old thin (dumb) client / server idea.

I still think cloud computing is for the most part a solution in search of a problem. YMMV

sunburnt

#32 Post by sunburnt »

A slippery slope indeed...

kenshen

maybe

#33 Post by kenshen »

maybe they could make it a side project

kenshen

sorry

#34 Post by kenshen »

sorry for starting up an old thread with this project we first need to test weather or not we can keep a stable connection to the puppy server to be a practical useable environment

billardbobby

Puppy cloud computing

#35 Post by billardbobby »

Hi Ocpaul20
I am bobby and I know about your projects pappy.The browser will open at start up with the puppy web desktop as the home page.I would be really happy if some willing programmer would make this is a pup-let, I would be willing to test we could call it project dog park.
Thank you very much.

kenshen

bump

#36 Post by kenshen »

bump

kenshen

bump

#37 Post by kenshen »

bump