[SOLVED] CUPS Testing - 4.2.1 RC2

This is for bugs in a version of Puppy 4.x that is still under development. If you have bugs for a released version of Puppy, please post them in the forum's main Bugs section, not here. Bugs are when a program does not function as intended. Usability issues are not bugs.
rcrsn51

[SOLVED] CUPS Testing - 4.2.1 RC2

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

CUPS 1.3.10 looks basically sound. Here are some specifics.

1. The hpijs-2.8.2_static_1.pet (a previously downloaded copy) still needs the -U patch on /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip. After that, it works.

2. The hpijs-3.9.4-dynppds.pet with dynamic HPIJS PPDs from here works as is.

3. Printers like the HP 720C that use the pnm2ppa filter need a modification. The file pnm2ppa must be moved from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin. (Thank you to Wosh for identifying the problem.) This is because the new version of foomatic-rip in Puppy 4.2 uses a different search path.

4. Printers like the HP 1020 that use the foo2zjs filter work as is.

5. Based on limited testing, HPLIP devices can be made to work using the method described here.

6. Printers like the Xerox Phaser that use the splix package also work.

7. Both printers discussed here install correctly.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 11 May 2009, 00:32, edited 4 times in total.

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

the The hpijs-2.8.2_static_1.pet is now listed as 'patched' in the Puppy 4 repo, but there is a fault and it does not install in 4.2.1. The download begins, then drops out with a failure to install message
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Because of a bug in the cups_shell script, all Gutenprint models are duplicated in the printer list. In /usr/sbin/cups_shell, the line

Code: Select all

cups-genppd.5.2
can be commented out.

Read the discussion about dynamic PPDs here.

This change also eliminates the confusing pause that occurs after the purple information screen when running the CUPS Wizard.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 10 May 2009, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

The menu item System > CUPS Web Interface launches the default browser - Seamonkey.

But Setup > CUPS Printer Wizard starts in bareview, which has no navigation buttons.

DaveS

#5 Post by DaveS »

Loading the hpijs-3.9.4-dynppds.pet as you suggested fixed printing in 4.2.1 and makes the old hpjis-static package redundant. Other than installing the .pet, nothing else was required.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

The folder /usr/lib/cups/backend is missing the smb symlink needed to connect to a Windows shared printer via Samba.

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:The folder /usr/lib/cups/backend is missing the smb symlink needed to connect to a Windows shared printer via Samba.
Corrected for next release. Regressed CUPS-1.3.10-i486 package was missing a couple of links.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:The menu item System > CUPS Web Interface launches the default browser - Seamonkey.

But Setup > CUPS Printer Wizard starts in bareview, which has no navigation buttons.
Mine has "Back", "Forward" and "Stop" buttons in the grey bar at the top left of the window.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#9 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:Because of a bug in the cups_shell script, all Gutenprint models are duplicated in the printer list. In /usr/sbin/cups_shell, the line

Code: Select all

cups-genppd.5.2
can be commented out.

Read the discussion about dynamic PPDs here.

This change also eliminates the confusing pause that occurs after the purple information screen when running the CUPS Wizard.
Odd, because the version of CUPS supplied in 4.2.1 doesn't appear to have cups_shell in that directory. Never mind ... found it in 0rootfs_skeleton-4.2.1 for some reason. Fixed for next release.

WhoDo

Re: CUPS Testing - 4.2.1 RC2

#10 Post by WhoDo »

rcrsn51 wrote:CUPS 1.3.10 looks basically sound. Here are some specifics.

1. The hpijs-2.8.2_static_1.pet (a previously downloaded copy) still needs the -U patch on /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip. After that, it works.
Already patched after 4.2.1RC1 but haven't uploaded the patched .pet file yet pending other fixes.

DaveS

#11 Post by DaveS »

WhoDo wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:CUPS 1.3.10 looks basically sound. Here are some specifics.

Already patched after 4.2.1RC1 but haven't uploaded the patched .pet file yet pending other fixes.
WhoDo............. for some strange reason the Hpjis patched pet in the official 4 repo refuses to install.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

DaveS wrote:WhoDo............. for some strange reason the Hpjis patched pet in the official 4 repo refuses to install.
Seems ok using the copy I have here. Maybe the version uploaded was corrupted in the process. It will be re-uploaded shortly.
Attachments
install-ok.png
(15.33 KiB) Downloaded 1872 times

DaveS

#13 Post by DaveS »

Ok, will try it. I have been able to download other .pets so my system seems basically ok this end.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#14 Post by DaveS »

WhoDo wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:The menu item System > CUPS Web Interface launches the default browser - Seamonkey.

Mine has "Back", "Forward" and "Stop" buttons in the grey bar at the top left of the window.
I get the same result as rsrsn51. No buttons in bare view. Ok in full Seamonkey fro system>cups web interface
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#15 Post by DaveS »

WhoDo wrote:
DaveS wrote:WhoDo............. for some strange reason the Hpjis patched pet in the official 4 repo refuses to install.
Seems ok using the copy I have here. Maybe the version uploaded was corrupted in the process. It will be re-uploaded shortly.
Now installs perfectly thanks. Printing proving solid and fast so far in this version, even with my wifi connected HP PS4380, which can be a devil at times.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!