How to make samba settings persist after reboot?

Booting, installing, newbie
dw

How to make samba settings persist after reboot?

#1 Post by dw »

I'm definitely a newbie, so apologies if this is a stupid question.
I have Puppy running on a diskless PC, booting off a 1GB USB thumbdrive. It works brilliantly (thanks!). It is part of a home network where all the other machines are Win2K, but I can use Samba to scan, log into and access shares etc.

But how do I set things up so that I don't need to rescan the Win2K machines each time I bootup - I want those shares to stay available ("mounted?") between reboots.

What I want to achieve is the silent diskless Puppy client sitting in the living room, accessing mp3 files from the huge noisy hard disk in a different room. It will be used by the kids, and I don't want them to have to rescan, enter passwords etc etc if they switch off and then reboot.

All help gratefully received!

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

LinNeighborhood should do this. I think you would have to launch it to mount the shares. There is a setting under preferences to load the shares on start of LinNeighborhood, if I remember correctly.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

dw

LinNeigbourhood

#3 Post by dw »

I found a help file which tells me I need to include a command: LinNeigbourhood -m (or something, I'm writing this away from Puppy).
But I'm not sure where i should put this command. I'm new to Linux and I don't yet understand where I find the equivalent of the Autoexec.bat, config sys etc files that I used to edit in MS-DOS.

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

That command can be typed in at an rxvt window. However, it needs to be setup first, so the shares are mounted at boot. I did a quick how-to located here but it is slightly outdated.

If you don't mind waiting a day or two, I can update the site. I've been playing with the new version of Puppy and may have improved the process.

But, you can configure it all in LinNeigborhood, then all your mount points will be available in Rox in /root/mnt immediately and on next boot. That's /root/mnt, not /mnt.

You can then use Rox to view all the shared drives.

--Hannibal Smith

dw

#5 Post by dw »

Instead of typing it in at an rxvt window, could I put it in the startup file for IceWM, so it runs automatically each time I reboot?

danleff

#6 Post by danleff »

I know very little about IceWM, but others on the forum do. It's probably not just running the LinNeighborhood -m command, but making sure samba/LinNeighborhood is set up properly to invoke that command. I don't know for sure, but probably the -m argument tells LinNeighborhood to mount the available shares?

But anyway, my newly revised article is up now at the same link, for those who would like to view it. The link is still valid in the Puppy help files under networking.

I'll add it to the wiki as an external link to my site, since it has linked image files and I won't waste wiki space with the extra kb's. But if the wiki admins don't feel this is an issue, I can set it up totally on the wiki, as well.

Hopefully this bump will get you some answers regarding IceWM.

--Hannibal Smith

dw

#7 Post by dw »

Thanks - I folowed your instructions and the shares all mount automatically when I open LinN. So all I need now is a way to automatically run LinN and I'm there. thanks for the tips. Next question, wireless usb card....!