Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 08:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x » Usability Issues (5.x dev)
[Issue]Woof "colourscheme" makes monitor appear "broken"
Moderators: BarryK, Lobster
Page 8 of 9 [135 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 07:32    Post subject:  

@ James C

Did I say Puppy was bad?

I said wrote about how puppy could be (very easily) improved.

Why arnt you coding? The glory could be yours....

@ Whodo

Quote me the bit again where I call you a nob/elvis/terrorist/bully... Shocked

Sorry, my server is down atm!
WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 08:27    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:

Rolling Eyes

DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 08:30    Post subject:  

This could be fun. How about this one:
ecomoney wrote:
The usual crap........

DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 08:33    Post subject:  

Or this:
ecomoney wrote:
A really helpful solution that helped puppy move forward

Cool

WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 08:43    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
This could be fun. How about this one:
ecomoney wrote:
The usual crap........

Hmmmm.... looks better than mine. May I use it next time? Razz

I refrained from mentioning that 2.14 Talking Stick was already 2 years in the making, and its still in Alpha1. Now there's a real project management exemplar for you. Wink

I wonder if he's counting on ttuuxxx to support 2.14 since he points to ttuuxxx's revision of 2.14X as an example of things "still going strong"? Now that would be an interesting conversation! Shocked

DaveS wrote:
Or this:
ecomoney wrote:

A really helpful solution that helped puppy move forward

Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing You're a bigger optimist than me!!!

WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 08:51    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
Oh dear Lord, its 7.00 am here in the UK. Gird up everybody, prepare yourselves for another A4 side of drivel....................

Sorry, Dave, but you were wrong. It turned out not to be A4 but Foolscap! Laughing Laughing Laughing

DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 08:53    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
DaveS wrote:
Oh dear Lord, its 7.00 am here in the UK. Gird up everybody, prepare yourselves for another A4 side of drivel....................

Sorry, Dave, but you were wrong. It turned out not to be A4 but Foolscap! Laughing Laughing Laughing

FoolsCRAP?

ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 09:19    Post subject:  

Come on then hotshot! Laughing

Instead of just "hanging with the usual posse", trying to bring down those who are passing back real-world feedback and suggestions for improving Puppy, why not put some of your ideas/strategy for improving it for the future? How (apart from its looks) does 4.2.x better meet Puppies Mission?

Regarding Talking stick...yes I had a delay (you know why), and Im going to delay it as long as it takes to get it right...and tested. Not rush it out without testing the new word-processor/printing system.

P.S. Youve really offended Sophie, Im not sure she will return to testing the kids software now.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 09:24    Post subject:  

Hi WhoDo hows it going?

As for my support for 2.14.2X well when I'm finished, hopefully real soon, I'll hand over the Iso, the updated devx, and then I'm running far far away from it, lol I really just want to focus on Dpup, but Barry hasn't done much with it since like alpha 3, at least he's posted nothing on his developers blog, and alpha 3 had a buggy devx and the kernel needed patches. I could manage with the devx. But others will be able to compile apps for 2.14.2X
ttuuxxx

WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 09:29    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:
The usual foolscrap...

Did I get that right, Dave? Laughing

ecomoney wrote:
P.S. Youve really offended Sophie, Im not sure she will return to testing the kids software now.

Oh, wow! I think I'll take poison, stab myself and hang by the neck from the nearest rafter! Rolling Eyes

Seriously, don't you think you're at least a LITTLE BIT RESPONSIBLE for putting the poor girl in the middle of YOUR dispute? Oh, sorry, I forgot ... It's always, ALWAYS someone else's fault [ecomoney's law]

We now have EIGHT pages of crap, started by YOU, simply because you couldn't resist putting an Alpha release of upup in front of a 19 year old babysitter and then egging her on to express her dismay about how she thought the monitor must have been broken! And you have the stones to call that "real world feedback"? C'mon, Cyril! Even you can't be THAT DUMB! All you had to say was "It was my mistake, Sophie. That was a test version deliberately set up that way so everyone would know it was still in testing." What a maroon! [Bug's Bunny - I thought you'd appreciate a reference you could understand!]

Last edited by WhoDo on Mon 08 Jun 2009, 09:40; edited 1 time in total
WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 09:36    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
As for my support for 2.14.2X well when I'm finished, hopefully real soon, I'll hand over the Iso, the updated devx, and then I'm running far far away from it, lol

Aw, gee, ttuuxxx. You mean you're NOT going to finish Talking Stick for ecomoney? How's he supposed to get it done, then? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't worry. Barry is about to release 2.18 with a whole slew of updated packages. Watch as ecomoney rebrands it to Ecopup-TalkingStick-ScunnyPup1 and releases it with a few new icons and wallpapers! The gang in Scunthorpe will be suitably awed, I'm sure! Rolling Eyes Heck, it might even come out in time for Puppy-9.xx to follow up! Razz

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 09:51    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
As for my support for 2.14.2X well when I'm finished, hopefully real soon, I'll hand over the Iso, the updated devx, and then I'm running far far away from it, lol

Aw, gee, ttuuxxx. You mean you're NOT going to finish Talking Stick for ecomoney? How's he supposed to get it done, then? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't worry. Barry is about to release 2.18 with a whole slew of updated packages. Watch as ecomoney rebrands it to Ecopup-TalkingStick-ScunnyPup1 and releases it with a few new icons and wallpapers! The gang in Scunthorpe will be suitably awed, I'm sure! Rolling Eyes Heck, it might even come out in time for Puppy-9.xx to follow up! Razz
Naaa I'm not finishing it, but, anyone who wanted to could really easy once I'm finished, just add the extra updated driver packages, use the latest icewm & Gimp I already posted, add a touch of bling, maybe pwidgets, give it a shake and boom you have "Taking stick", lol, I also had the desktop icon switch working really well from 4 series on 2 series, it took a lot of work, but boy it switched quickly, maybe 2.5 seconds. But I was running live and messing with xinitrc and well I restarted xserver and it froze on "out of range" lol
So I'm not doing that again, lol
ttuuxxx

rjbrewer

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 11:16    Post subject:  

The pie chart is nice......except for the colors.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 11:58    Post subject:  

whodo wrote:

Great stuff Ttuuxxx, thanks for your skills updating 2.14r. I am looking forward to taking a look at that, and puppy 2.18, and all of the derivatives/packages people have made for two series. Together with the updated scripts, plus a few more to be created that will address some of Puppies major usability/installation issues, this is going to make one hell of a "Community Edition", with a real focus on Puppies Mission and the needs of the average computer user. Were going to have plenty of time set aside for testing (using the mission cybercafe too!), so any issues left over Ttuuxxx we can work out through the alpha/beta process. Make sure you document well when you release what still needs work, and what work you have done.....any news on the updated NTFS drivers? I might even push myself to learn to compile in time for Phoenix.

Anyway, no Sophie offered to come on and confirm what she said, as there was some disbelief that she had actually said what she had. I hadnt asked her to test Woof explicitly, she just happened to walk in while I was taking a quick look at it.

Personally Im all for putting end users in front of Alpha/Beta software, or else how are the big problems to them ever to be discovered. If you test linux on linux experts then only the parts they use are going to work. A similar thing happened when 4.2.0 was released and it was found the wordprocessor couldnt open M$ Word Documents......rxvt worked fine though Wink

Anyway, as for Woof (which this section is about), well Im not making any decisions...but I ADVISE, that an attractive colourful layout will do much to attract new users to it....that, shallow though our more hersuit/technical contributors may believe it to be, is human nature.

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2009, 12:09    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:
shallow though our more hersuit/technical contributors may believe it to be, is human nature.

I don't remember if I updated the NTFS drivers or not, I did compile them, I'll just do them again, its nothing anyways, Yes you should learn to compile, there's lots of doc on the forum about it, plus Barry's blog is a good place to look, almost nothing compiles properly these days with ./configure usually its a full line, or if your talking about Seamonkey, thats almost a full page,lol But you have to start somewhere, better sooner or later, I would say after about 6 months of compiling you'll have a clue on whats going on, Some things are easy and some drive you nuts, sometimes you actually have to compile in a separate folder. The you get stuff like cmake, imake, etc its all fun.
ttuuxxx lol

Last edited by ttuuxxx on Mon 08 Jun 2009, 22:06; edited 1 time in total
Page 8 of 9 [135 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x » Usability Issues (5.x dev)
Jump to: