[Issue]Woof "colourscheme" makes monitor appear "broken"

This is where you post about usability issues (not bugs) in pre-release versions of Puppy 5.x (alphas, betas, rcs). Usability issues are things like poor contrast in the themes, non-ergonomic button layouts, unintuitive application behavior, etc.
James C

#91 Post by James C »

I also have a beard......don't know about being an expert though.

WhoDo

#92 Post by WhoDo »

runtt21 wrote:I also have a beard... well ,gotee .....
I have a beard, too. So does Barry Kauler. Hmmm... maybe being hirsute is an external indication of possessing good common sense, the way Sampson's hair was the source of his strength. Anyone notice whether or not ecomoney is clean shaven? :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

runtt21

#93 Post by runtt21 »

And i can play Reign in Blood and South of Heaven....

big_bass

#94 Post by big_bass »

ecomoney
Ive not had a lot of time to test Woof in detail...Im sorry. Im a fan of many of the technical concepts which are being introduced, especially ubuntu package compatibility. I dont want to come across as derisory or spoil anyones enthusiasm for the project at all....and I feel I must report this.

I did give it a quick download and test at my friends house, and showed it to a few "linux newbies" who were round visiting. The first thing one of them said was:-

Quote:
Whats the matter with the monitor...why is it only showing in black and white?

well ...I disagree again with your approach
but I disagree with many people and still offer
technical help and leave what little emotions I have left out of it

so back to one common point
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=58
if you wanted to change the look a pet package add on is no big deal

if you would like to improve puppy's looks
these links below are more than enough to make it look however
you imagine it should be

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23260
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20702
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=37
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4001

P.S I don't take sides

Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Mon 08 Jun 2009, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

bugman

#95 Post by bugman »

WhoDo wrote:Anyone notice whether or not ecomoney is clean shaven? :P
Im currently project manager for a top ten Linux Distro.
hmm...seems pretty 'bald-faced' if you ask me...

puppyluvr

#96 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Once again, being witty and perceptive.....
Buggy my man, you aint doing dull and boring justice....
Good call on that one bud....

@Should it concern me that I too have a beard??
Damn profiling......

DaveS

#97 Post by DaveS »

Oh dear Lord, its 7.00 am here in the UK. Gird up everybody, prepare yourselves for another A4 side of drivel....................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#98 Post by 01micko »

C'mon guys... we're a bunch of bearded experts here.... so what's wrong? Why isn't Puppy teetering on the brink of world domination?

Are we too boring? are we too stupid? :?

I got it! We need a boring, stupid theme!

(er... sorry Daves.... no conky/pwidgets/opera resolution yet :lol: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ecomoney

#99 Post by ecomoney »

@ Whodo: Im not going to get into your observations of Sophie (those are for her to respond to!), but I know she wont mind me saying, she is a fairly typical 19 year old young lady....20 next week.

She uses a computer as a communication tool to keep in touch with her social network, read, ebay, look for jobs, and also sometimes for games. She is typical of far more computer users than those that would know anything about BASH...not that those who do are any less, or anymore, significant...

Heres a quick graphic

Source

How can this be? On the one hand with one percent of the worlds computers we have a free (as in beer) system that keeps your computer usable for three times longer, its design is open and flexible, it does not catch viruses, and takes minutes to install....on the other we have an expensive, slow system, of fixed design, that catches viruses, requires hours (indeterminate) to install. WHAT IS GOING ON? :shock:

Its very simple...most users prefer a system that is designed around their needs, that will mean they dont HAVE to learn about computer internals, and its easy to figure out how to work it to get things from it with the minimum of time invested in learning about it.

Why is this? Windows developers have an incentive to produce programs that appeal to a wide range of people...because the more people they can get to use their software the more people there are to pay them for producing it. Linux developers...on the other hand only have an incentive to write code that benefits themselves.

These are the "top ten" current annoyances to new Puppy Users

1. Extremely difficult to install without in depth linux knowledge
2. Lack of the most popular applications available through the installer (FF, OO, aMSN,Skype)
3. Looks "old", Grey Win98 look/console loading/Xorg config is unattractive to new users.
4. Pup_save.2fs fills up, without resizing automatically.
5. Java does not install automatically to support things like facebook chat/ebay.
6. The internet connection wizard is unintuitive, and does not open automatically when needed (i.e. opening Seamonkey with no active Connection)
7. Single click on the desktop creates unfamiliar first impression.
8. Mousewheel over desktop make applications "appear" to crash.
9. Mime Types are incomplete + unhelpful errors if filetypes are not supported.
10. File system difficult to navigate/filemanger unfamiliar to new users

Some developers even see these difficulties as "features". :roll: What personal reasons would any developer have to address any of these things? To help out Sophie?

There ARE "good developers", genuinely altruistic people, with and without beards no doubt, that will and are addressing these problems, they only need to be ASKED. Ive found if you put the point to them (well) that there is a real NEED for something, they will supply it....all thats needed then is a proactive project co-ordinator/manager (whats the difference?) who will recognise what issues(/attitudes) are preventing linux take-up, and include solutions to these issues. Whether this is called called "managing", "co-ordinating", "Chief Developing" or whatever is academic.

Heres a screenie from the 2.14 Phoenix/Talking Stick project alpha release

It seems that several names are lent to that job.

Since its not been "officially" ended, development is ongoing as far as Im concerned...in fact 2 series development is still going strong. It will have a strong base, with a wide range of available software....but its not going to be a significant improvement/enhancement of standard puppy until the top ten usability issues (above) have been resolved...many have been or are in the process of being resolved already. Then the project can move forward, with some real benefits for a great many more people.

@ Bugman

(The one you posted bugman was a scan of an artists ink sketch - a real one - done from this photo...its several years old now)

Heres a more current one.

Im definetely beardless....unless Ive been on a three day caffeine fueled Puppy binge.

Just for the record...Puppy should be for people with beards too...just not only for people with beards :wink:

@big_bass/joe

Thanks for those links....there is certainly no shortage of attractive themes for Puppy that have already been developed. All it requires is the will to use one of them. 4.1.2 series was the best looking of the "Win98-like" looking Puppies.....and its certainly possible at least to tell if the colour is working on the monitor or not. This is good news.

I coming round to your wisdom about keeping emotional responses out of things..this is forum for discussing Puppy Linux and how it can be improved. Those that cant keep to this...and the forum rules/ettiquette...are best left ignored. If they cant make an intelligent response to a point about puppy linux without resorting to pulling that person down/resorting to name calling for holding a different view to them.

P.S. Ive seen some of your work you are a talented scripter....with a thorough knowledge of puppy internals. Ideal skills to provide solutions to the above top ten problems...

@ DaveS

Yes it is 7am...Im just going to go to work at the preschool and the Seamans Mission. Good morning!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

WhoDo

#100 Post by WhoDo »

DaveS wrote:Oh dear Lord, its 7.00 am here in the UK. Gird up everybody, prepare yourselves for another A4 side of drivel....................
:lol: :lol: :lol: Jeez, Dave, between you and the Bugman I'd have split my stitches ages ago ... if I had any. Hang on, i'll check around the neck bolts .... ..... .... nope, all nicely healed there too!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

James C

#101 Post by James C »

Now we get to look at colorful charts and graphs while we read about how bad Puppy is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveS

#102 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
(er... sorry Daves.... no conky/pwidgets/opera resolution yet :lol: )
Not so much of a problem with Opera as it puts this cool little icon in the tray when new mail is received, so I get a visual warning that way. Nice.
Opera 10, even in beta form does seem a very mature piece of software.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#103 Post by DaveS »

James C wrote:Now we get to look at colorful charts and graphs while we read about how bad Puppy is. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dont you mean how bad WhoDo is? You are BAD man BAD BAD BAD............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

WhoDo

#104 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:I coming round to your wisdom about keeping emotional responses out of things..this is forum for discussing Puppy Linux and how it can be improved. Those that cant keep to this...and the forum rules/ettiquette...are best left ignored. If they cant make an intelligent response to a point about puppy linux without resorting to pulling that person down/resorting to name calling for holding a different view to them.
ecomoney wrote:WhoDo, youve shown a great many various prejudices on here which hold you back when co-ordinating large voluntary inclusive project. It makes me very proud that you cite me as one of the reasons that you will not be continuing the overall co-ordination of the Puppy Linux project.
Still as bald-faced as ever. :roll:

James C

#105 Post by James C »

That too! :lol:

ecomoney

#106 Post by ecomoney »

@ James C

Did I say Puppy was bad?

I said wrote about how puppy could be (very easily) improved.

Why arnt you coding? The glory could be yours....

@ Whodo

Quote me the bit again where I call you a nob/elvis/terrorist/bully... :shock:
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

WhoDo

#107 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:...
:roll:

DaveS

#108 Post by DaveS »

This could be fun. How about this one:
ecomoney wrote:The usual crap........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#109 Post by DaveS »

Or this:
ecomoney wrote:A really helpful solution that helped puppy move forward
8)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

WhoDo

#110 Post by WhoDo »

DaveS wrote:This could be fun. How about this one:
ecomoney wrote:The usual crap........
Hmmmm.... looks better than mine. May I use it next time? :P

I refrained from mentioning that 2.14 Talking Stick was already 2 years in the making, and its still in Alpha1. Now there's a real project management exemplar for you. :wink:

I wonder if he's counting on ttuuxxx to support 2.14 since he points to ttuuxxx's revision of 2.14X as an example of things "still going strong"? Now that would be an interesting conversation! :shock:
DaveS wrote:Or this:
ecomoney wrote: A really helpful solution that helped puppy move forward
:cool:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're a bigger optimist than me!!!