Creating a advanced automatic driver software with profile !

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Captain N

Creating a advanced automatic driver software with profile !

#1 Post by Captain N »

Hello everyone,

I'm not entirely a developer,kind of a tinkerer,i'm specialized in windows with scripting and come to linux for his portability and coding possibility...
anyway,i want to create my first application in linux (i have a liking for python...) and want to create something simple,i want a little help and maybe a starting point:

so i want to create a script,maybe with a gui if possible,for activating all available driver for device in a linux distribution (there already the command modprobe,but i want it to make it automatic and to create profile for different computer...) so if for exemple i put a copy of puppy linux,or any other distros in a usb stick or external hdd/ssd and put it into any pc than the one i use to install it,then loading the driver (i know most of them are not obligatory needed mainly because of the "out of the box" capacity...),but there essential driver that can't be supported out of the box or with open driver,like wifi driver or sound driver or even gpu driver,so maybe pre-installing them on a working computer then plug the usb or device where the linux distro is installed...then let the pc do its thing,launching etc...

the fact is i find it better to not being launch in boot up,only the profile save will have to be loaded,then if there no profile for a computer,just hope that it launch (by approximation 99% of computer will boot if compatible with booting with usb stick and secure boot or/and uefi disabled,of course)then either make it yourself with the said software or maybe have to be 100% automatic,if the required driver are pre-installed or if there the required wifi card driver installed maybe download it automaticaly...

i think its a nice idea not just for puppy,for all linux distros,i can't do it all by myself,i'm still a linux newbie,only 3 month,have already installed/downloaded and tested allllll the linux possible (i think... 8) can give you a detailed list if you want but i'm not sure it will interest someone.

so hope someone can maybe guide me through the step of doing it myself or maybe a collaboration work something like that.

best regard,N

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

I don't think Python is very much used here by forum members/developers.

Usually it's a mess, to get Python stuff running in Puppy.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Captain N

#3 Post by Captain N »

okay,good to know :wink: ,so what the best know language for coding that suit best puppy,with my project in mind ?

Captain N

#4 Post by Captain N »

All help,suggestion will be appriciated :D

Captain N

#5 Post by Captain N »

also,please someone tell me if it exist already so i can pass to other project...

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

I'm coding in Bash, though that's not a recommendation for the your project. Just mentioning it.

Also I'm not that kind of developer (I'm a hacker) to contribute in such project. This seems to be a task for the much more Puppy experts compared to myself.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Captain, in case you don't already know it, Linux drivers must be compiled for the kernel that will use them. The same driver .exe won't work in all versions of Linux.

Captain N

#8 Post by Captain N »

I already know that,but thank you for the reminder :wink: that why i presicely said "with profile" so,each time the system boot or even after the system finished boot up,eitheir automaticaly or by hand,a possibility for changing profile will be possible,if loading different hardware...

Captain N

#9 Post by Captain N »

the thing now that bug me is for the script