How to Install Brother Printers and Scanners

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#151 Post by rcrsn51 »

By "drivers", do you mean printer models in the Model list? Pick one. If it doesn't work, delete the printer and pick the other.

starhawk

#152 Post by starhawk »

I'm referring to what you see in the attached.
Attachments
Printer Drivers.png
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

starhawk

#153 Post by starhawk »

I'll be here when you have time to reply ;)

rcrsn51

#154 Post by rcrsn51 »

Why do you need a reply? I told you what to do above.

This duplication of models names should not be a surprise. It was also present when you previously set up the printer using IP4CUPS. It comes from the Debian driver packages, which put their PPD files in two different locations.

BTW, why is your Brother section so empty? All standard Puppies come with the Gutenprint driver which supports a large collection of Brother models.

By insisting on using Carolina, you are making this situation more frustrating for everyone. This really isn't a Brother printer problem - it's a Carolina problem. They have their own forum section.

starhawk

#155 Post by starhawk »

I'll reevaluate my choice to move away from X-Slacko once X-Slacko moves out of beta territory again. I'm watching over there ;)

As for the printer and prior statements, I actually wasn't sure.

Back in a bit, time to reboot the router for smoother Internets... oh joy...

starhawk

#156 Post by starhawk »

Printer is detected and installs using USB (which probably exonerates the cable) but still does not print a test page.

EDIT: (D'oh, hit the post-button too fast.) I should note that the printer is connected through a front panel USB port, *NOT* through a hub. Don't know if that matters or not.

starhawk

#157 Post by starhawk »

Please tell me you'll still help me even if I choose not to change my Pup...

rcrsn51

#158 Post by rcrsn51 »

How? You have already seen the printer work correctly when you used IP4CUPS. Then something changed in your Carolina setup and it stopped working, even through USB.

This is now a problem for the Carolina team. It's their printing system.

BTW, do you have that idiotic printer-scanner SFS package installed?

starhawk

#159 Post by starhawk »

I have not installed any sort of printer SFS. Nothing has changed from a default Carolina Vanguard install as far as printing is concerned. I will, however, be happy to post a list of packages I have installed as shown in the Uninstall Packages wizard.

rcrsn51

#160 Post by rcrsn51 »

starhawk wrote:I will, however, be happy to post a list of packages I have installed as shown in the Uninstall Packages wizard.
If you do, post it on the Carolina thread.

starhawk

#161 Post by starhawk »

*sigh*

You are more or less forcing me to return this printer or change Pups. We both know that the Carolina devs cannot offer help of this nature, and that they will only refer me to you.

I will ask you to reconsider. Again, nothing has changed, in terms of printer support, from a default Carolina Vanguard install, barring the fact that I followed your directions to attempt to install a printer and was unsuccessful in doing so.

starhawk

#162 Post by starhawk »

I have confirmed that none of the drivers I have work.

EDIT: redownloaded and reinstalled. Here is the terminal output. The printer still doesn't print.

Code: Select all

# debbi mfcj470dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb 
mkdir: can't create directory '/var/spool/lpd/mfcj470dw': No such file or directory
chown: unknown user lp
chgrp: /var/spool/lpd/mfcj470dw: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/mfcj470dw': No such file or directory
Post-install script completed!
Done!
# debbi mfcj470dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb 
cups: restarted scheduler.
lpadmin -p MFCJ470DW -E -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -P /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/brother_mfcj470dw_printer_en.ppd
Post-install script completed!
Done!
# 
Please advise.

starhawk

#163 Post by starhawk »

If you will not assist me further with this printer, please recommend a replacement.

My budget is $80, not one penny higher. I will be shopping online at Staples. I am largely brand-agnostic as far as the printer itself, but it must be a wirelessly-networked multifunction (printer, scanner, and copier; I don't care either way about fax capability) and it absolutely must (for my mother) support a scan-directly-to-Evernote feature.

Here is the relevant search URL --> http://www.staples.com/Printers/cat_CL1 ... n=0&max=80

starhawk

#164 Post by starhawk »

I will once again reiterate that this logically cannot be an issue with the base Carolina Vanguard install. The printer worked absolutely fine before I redid my savefile, as several printed images and documents (as well as an earlier post in this very thread) can attest to.

To forestall the inevitable "you must've done something different there" comment, I will point out that I actually archive everything I install (dotPETs, DEBs, TXZs, etc), so that, should I need to redo my savefile in the future, everything is there and I don't have to hunt anything down and I cannot possibly forget anything.

I can tell you to a 1000% certainty that the only difference between the two savefiles, is that I found I did not need to install a libevent TXZ this time in order to make Chromium work; however, I fail to see how that could affect CUPS.

That said, again --
If you will not assist me further with this printer, please recommend a replacement.

My budget is $80, not one penny higher. I will be shopping online at Staples. I am largely brand-agnostic as far as the printer itself, but it must be a wirelessly-networked multifunction (printer, scanner, and copier; I don't care either way about fax capability) and it absolutely must (for my mother) support a scan-directly-to-Evernote feature.

Here is the relevant search URL --> http://www.staples.com/Printers/cat_CL1 ... n=0&max=80

starhawk

#165 Post by starhawk »

aaaaaaaaand nevermind on the 'just get another printer' bit. It's past the return period, so like it or not I'm stuck with this thing.

Do please help me get it working.

starhawk

#166 Post by starhawk »

Installed libevent, just to check.

No joy.

I now have an install and savefile absolutely identical to the one I had before, except that now I cannot print.

I'm all ears, when you decide to step back into the office.

EDIT: seriously, you're actually holding up a project of mine by continuing to ignore me. Not cool, bro.

starhawk

#167 Post by starhawk »

Solved.

greengeek

#168 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote:Solved.
I'm interested to know more details about whether the solution was satisfactory or not, and if so, how. My day job is to connect/repair printers and troubleshoot their connections to Windows, Mac and Linux computers and I'm trying to learn more about the intricacies of CUPS etc.

The need to interface to Evernote seems like something beyond simply adding a printer driver, but it is similar to the "windows focused" needs of some of my clients so I'm just keen to hear if you got it working. (either partly or not at all).

Many devices today are multifunctional so I try to learn as much as I can about what makes the printer work, what makes the scanner work, and what makes the email (smtp) connection work etc etc so any info is good info...

cheers!

starhawk

#169 Post by starhawk »

Evernote compatibility is actually handled by the printer itself, as part of being a networked device. It connects to the Web via WiFi and does its thing that way. The setup utility is called 'Brother Web Connect'.

As for posting what solved the problem... after the way I was treated by rcrsn51 I'm going to have to think about that. Suffice to say for now that there was a dep nobody told me about.

DanielSong39

#170 Post by DanielSong39 »

Reposting from the bug report in Quirky 7.0.3:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic ... &start=600

I have a Brother HL-1435 printer. I installed the printer successfully in Puppy, but the procedure does not seem to work in Quirky 7.0.4.1. The procedure is described in the first post of this thread.

The error message I received in CUPS was:

"Filter failed"

I have deleted and re-installed the printer several times, to no avail. It's just Quirky where I'm having this problem; I'm not having this problem in any other distribution I'm using.

P.S. This is a local printer connected through USB. CUPS has no trouble recognizing this printer. However, I continue to encounter the "Filter failed" error.