Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Apr 2014, 04:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Classic Pup 2.14X -- Updated 2 series
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 253 of 331 [4963 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, ..., 329, 330, 331 Next

What is the best Puppy Version ever, LOL
2.14x
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
2.14x
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
2.14x
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Other: 2.14x only
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 33

clarf

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug 2010, 00:12    Post subject:  

Hi,

I´m suited to use the Window key for many tasks in Windows XP, sadly Superswitcher developer is lazy to add new features (no new updates in ages) and this application sometimes reuses to work, even in previous 214X versions. In my opinion It takes too much RAM to add one single function to Win Key, jemimah suggestions looks good instead.

About the resources and performance comparisons. I also made some test..

metacity seems very fast and light just twice the RAM usage of jwm, but XFCE is too big actually is more than twice the size of metacity, about five or four times jwm. Looking at process level, Taskbar is the process identified as xfce-panel, each additional component is an additional xfce-menu-plugin process (for example Xfce menu is an additional process called xfce-menu-plugin the same as modem lights and other taskbar components) that uses more RAM.

about future 214X releases:

Considering that 214X has newer (and of course bigger) libraries, applications and functions, actually it´s size has grown considerably. In the near future it will limit the usability range in old machines for higher memory requirements (and I would like to add some stuff that will speed up 214X functionality but eventually will need more memory resources).

I consider it´s time to divide Classic Pup 214X in two branchs and make more experiments like it. A new forum thread could be good too.

Classic Pup 214X actually is recognize for it´s extended use in old hardware, basically a good combination of size, features, kernel version and stability, but I´m sure it´s usage can be extended for good looking, innovation and a mix of cutting edge/classic stuff too.

I applaud ttuuxxx achievements and vision, I´ll be more than pleased to test and support new Classic Pup variants.

clarf
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug 2010, 17:25    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
BTW, how do I change the number of desktops in 214X-xfce, I know I've done it in other xfce distros, but can't seem to find how to do it here Shocked Embarassed Smile.

To answer my own question:
Rename (uncomment) /root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml to /root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml, i.e. remove the leading % from the filename, and edit the line
Code:
<entry name="num_workspaces" mtime="1282316500" type="int" value="2">
to read
Code:
value="3"

Took some fumbling in the dark, peeking and poking around, to find out how... Anyhow, I'm a much happier puppeteer now that I have 3 virtual desktops... Shocked...

First impressions after settling my itch for 3 DTs:
there's a lot of jwm stuff left; in the desktop menu, control panel...
I could see a need/use for corresponding tools to set up metacity.
I'm so spoiled with right-clicking on the desktop bringing up the main menu - haven't found that one out yet...

Apart from the settings issue with the new Wm-Panel combo, it feels as quick and responsive as 214X always has Smile.

I've learnt my way around jwm and feel quite comfortable with its settings, and I'm definitely not much of a theme switcher (standard 214X GTK-theme + gradient gray jwm-theme for visibility).

Does this sound a tad bit negative? It's not intended to, I did welcome BK's experiment with openbox in Q1.00, I found it amusing to try out the various WMs that came up to discussion in gposil's dpup thread (pekwm was one of them, I believe). I do come back to the jwm/Rox combo (although, I use xfe as much as I use Rox as file manager), perhaps mostly for familiarity... Smile

Cheers Smile/
MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 02:59    Post subject:  

[quote="MinHundHettePerro"]
MinHundHettePerro wrote:

First impressions after settling my itch for 3 DTs:
there's a lot of jwm stuff left; in the desktop menu, control panel...
Cheers Smile/
MHHP

Jwm still works, just exit X server to command prompt and type startx jwm
then open a terminal when jwm appears and type killall xfce4-panel
I might make a switcher for jwm and xfce/metacity like I made for 4.2 with jwm/icewm that worked nicely Smile
like everything else it takes a bit of time to get used to newer WM combo's. Smile
ttuuxxx

MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 16:08    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Jwm still works, just exit X server to command prompt and type startx jwm...
Good, thanks Smile. Don't know why I jumped to the conclusion that the metacity/xfce-panel combo replaced jwm rather than merely was provided in addition to jwm Embarassed...

Knowing jwm is still there makes it easier to shift to top-3 from RC5, having a well-known fallback, should I fail to set the new wm/panel combo up Very Happy Smile.

Cheers Smile/
MHHP

Keef

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 17:58    Post subject: Firefox settings not saved  

Hello All,

Been running a frugal install of top-3 for a few days. Very nice, but as the title says, Firefox refuses to save any settings. Actually, with the standard 214X I have that problem with Geany for some reason.
Also, after a while, I sometimes lose the wifi connection, and if I open up the network manager, the saved profile has disappeared. It is there if I reboot though....
The only clue is that on both, when I shutdown / reboot, this message appears:

¨tail: cannot open ´+2´ file or directory cannot be found¨ (or words to that effect)

On the original 214X I reinstalled and used a new savefile, but the problem reappeared.
upnorth

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 18:33    Post subject: re: Firefox settings not saved
Subject description: ¨tail: cannot open ´+2´ file or directory cannot be found¨ (or words to that effect)

¨tail: cannot open ´+2´ file or directory cannot be found¨ (or words to that effect)

I had the exact same problem, for a while, then fixed my frugal install by editing menu.lst according to clarf's instructions on previous page. Now it works. Also, the .gconf directory was acting the same way as the .mozilla directory.

Seems fine now. I had manually edited group gshadow passwd and shadow, so I thought I screwed something up - not sure.

It's all working great now.
Keef

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug 2010, 18:41    Post subject:  

upnorth

Thatś the menu.lst entry that I have been using for quite a while. In fact I was thinking of reverting to having the pupsave outside of the directory, and seeing if that helped, but I doubt it. Will try it tomorrow perhaps.
taca0

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 09:16    Post subject:  

Problem:
I have an via epia m board.

I select xorg and test and not show anythings (black)

ok I select vesa and starts but the keyboard dont work righ, only shows a graphic in the center o screen but I can not do more..
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 11:49    Post subject:  

taca0

The EPIA M has the VIA Unichrome chipset AFAIK, but may have different versions, VIA CLE266, KM400/KN400, K8M/N800, PM/N800 and CN400 chipsets being common
I believe the XORG VIA driver in puppy should load OK, but there may be issues with hardware acceleration/DRI or OpenGL

I think also bios updates have been known to fix this, but need doing from windoze or MSDOS boot using a win98 boot disk, with the bios update downloaded to C:\ or floppy

There are a couple of threads, but for earlier puppies

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28061

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16903

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22933

tempestuous did a lot of work on this so may be best to solve it with you

HTH

Aitch Smile
James C

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 00:53    Post subject:  

Running top-3 some every day, nothing really to complain about but just trying to get accustomed to Metacity.Really solid release. Smile .
clarf

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 15:38    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
MinHundHettePerro wrote:
BTW, how do I change the number of desktops in 214X-xfce, I know I've done it in other xfce distros, but can't seem to find how to do it here Shocked Embarassed Smile.

To answer my own question:
Rename (uncomment) /root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml to /root/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml, i.e. remove the leading % from the filename, and edit the line
Code:
<entry name="num_workspaces" mtime="1282316500" type="int" value="2">
to read
Code:
value="3"

Took some fumbling in the dark, peeking and poking around, to find out how... Anyhow, I'm a much happier puppeteer now that I have 3 virtual desktops... Shocked...

Cheers Smile/
MHHP

Hi MHHP,

There´s a faster way to change the number of desktops in metacity, this command apply changes instantaneously. Type:

Quote:
gconftool-2 --set --type int /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces 4

change the number according to your needs, I also found another good gconftool tricks:

Code:
-Display some metacity settings:

gconftool-2 -R /apps/metacity

Code:

- Disable animations and effects to reduce resources consumption:

gconftool-2 --set --type bool /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources true

If someone need it, I could build a new GUI application to control this metacity settings.

I also played with lxpanel:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38188&start=25

clarf
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2010, 17:54    Post subject:  

clarf,
Many thanks for your info Very Happy!

It will make my metacity learning curve less steep. Smile

One thing I haven't found out yet, though;
Right-clicking with mouse on the backdrop is sent by Rox to window manager (if option ticked, of course), but how do I get metacity to then call xfce (or any other panel's) menu?

Have found myself right-clicking on the desktop umpteen times, expecting a menu, but getting nothing (power of habit is strong Smile ).

Cheers Smile/
MHHP

puppyluvr

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2010, 11:58    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Well been running the rc5 version for 24 hours now and well, very nice work Ttuuxxx, as usual..Runs very fast and smooth on my dinosaur....Have installed Wine, Java, Conky and Fotoxx...Firefox is now 3.5.12 and heavily tweaked for social media...Firefox remains very stable thru updates..
At idle CD boot w/save..................................................................w/Firefox running....
Nice and light, and swift...
Great for this old machine..

Machine specs: P3 600 w/ 384mb ram, 512mb swap partition, intel i810 video and audio, 1 -2gb (boot)hdd, 1 -200gb (storage)hdd, Lite on "tulip" ethernet..

Will try a frugal install next...

Puppy since 2.15CE...
crsrds

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2010, 13:40    Post subject: Top3
Subject description: TY tuuxxx

I tried top3 today, works fine with all the applications I need. Upgraded to top3 from RC5. Set it as my OS.
Tx tuuxxx.
crsrds

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2010, 15:48    Post subject: Copy files from server
Subject description: SCO unix

Hi,
I connect to a SCO server using a thin client with 214 and putty. Each user has a $Home directory on the server. This directory has the user files that get flushed everyday(sysadmin policy).
I need to write a script that will enable me to see all the current files in my $home directory, select one or two of them and copy them to my local machine. The files are not large, The server supports ssh.
The need is to place this scipt on the desktop so that users can click on it, see the files in their $Home directory and copy the needed files from the server to the local thin client.
This is very essential for me and any help is most welcome.
I can use pscp/psftp, but the syntax is long and many users cannot use these features. We need a click/select./copy application. Pl help.
Thanks,
crsrds
Page 253 of 331 [4963 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, ..., 329, 330, 331 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: