2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

clarf

#4891 Post by clarf »

yellodog wrote:
clarf wrote:The slow problem playing youtube videos on Puppy 2.14X could be related to the old Xorg version used. You could try to tune the xorg configuration file, please read my post about the test I made on 2.14X http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50428.
Finally found time to test it. Adding these lines to xorg.conf seems to have a positive effect indeed (graphics chip: S3 ProSavage, interesting, Puppy 2.14X supports this at all!). At least it feels so. I also use to look at the CPU-monitor in the sys-tray, CPU-usage seems to be generally lower watching clips. Hard to tell though, because sometimes it goes up again too ... After all, I think, it did something. So, thank you very much!
Hi yellodog,

I`m pleased to know that these xorg settings helped you...

I attach a new pet that includes an updated xorgwizard script that automatically adds to the xorg.conf file, the composite extensions and the safe acceleration options for video.

In this way if you lose your custom xorg.conf file or after reboot you will have these options enabled by default.

The new options are>

Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "backingstore" "true"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"

All 214X users should try it... and of course feedback about the change.

Regards,
clarf
Attachments
xorgwizard_composite-enabled.pet
xorgwizard updated script with composite extension and device acceleration options
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 516 times

starhawk

#4892 Post by starhawk »

ttuuuxxx, you sure have created one cheeky bastard of a Puplet :lol:

I have a Neoware CA19 thin client (basically a small, low-power 'computer' whose only real purpose is to display the contents of a virtual machine on a server somewhere) that I've been trying and trying and trying to find a puplet light enough to run well on it... and failing with all my usual stuff.

Specs of this thin client --
400MHz (!) VIA Eden CPU
VIA CN700 chipset (with horrible integrated graphics)
1gig RAM
8gb Microdrive (CompactFlash-size HDD)

Modifications I have done to it --
Added two USB ports
Added a fan header and chipset fan (with good reason!)
Upped the RAM from IIRC 256meg
Replaced the original 128meg (!) "Disk On Module" solid state drive (with little more than IE6 on it -- seriously, it was MS' version of Chrome OS!) with an IDE-to-CompactFlash adapter on a cable, and the previously-mentioned Microdrive.

Now, every time in the past that I have tried ClassicPup, it has been slow slow slow. I don't know why. I've never known why. I'm not that technical. I have consistently, in fact, warned people that I've never known ClassicPup to be fast in any way.

All that just changed. I booted Top10 from an external USB optical drive successfully, after a little futzing with the boot options. I was AMAZED at how fast it was -- while only slightly faster than some other Pups I could name (Akita, its predecessor Puplite 5.0, ThinSlacko, and the BabyBones versions of Wary 53 and Racy 53 all come to mind), it was /faster/ -- and that's what surprised me.

I really don't understand how you've created a Pup (or, for that matter, OS) that runs slowly on new hardware and yet reasonably speedy on the older stuff. That's completely backwards to how it should be! Congratulations, you've made quite a paradox with this Pup.

The only things I DON'T like right now --
- no grub4dos. It's idiotproof, which means it's perfect for me :P
- doesn't want to recognize my Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 USB wifi adapter -- the rt2870sta driver is reported as supporting this model of card according to WikiDevi, and is in ClassicPup, but does not in fact seem to work... but then, it also doesn't work in the other Pups I've tried -- so perhaps the adapter has decided to retire itself, rather than anything Puppy-related.

Dewbie

#4893 Post by Dewbie »

The only things I DON'T like right now --
- no grub4dos. It's idiotproof, which means it's perfect for me
Try the ones from here.
If I recall correctly, they work with 2.14x.

starhawk

#4894 Post by starhawk »

Sorry, should've clarified. I booted into Akira in slow-mo and used its grub4dos.

More questions --

Anyone try QtWeb on ClassicPup...? Does ClassicPup come with Flash built in (and what version, if so)? If not, what's the most recent I can run? I realize this heap I've got isn't going to respond well to YouTube exposure but I'd like to try...

...ah, but my WiFi dongle doesn't work (as mentioned in my last post) so I've got to get another before I can find out.

Dewbie

#4895 Post by Dewbie »

From ttuuxxx, page 1:
updated to the latest libflashplayer 10.3.183.7 an extra 2 MB larger than the last one from a yr ago grrr.

starhawk

#4896 Post by starhawk »

Oh, shoot, that's what I get for not doing my research! D'oh!

Sorry I made you look when it was right there...

starhawk

#4897 Post by starhawk »

Just adding a little volume to a request of mine. (This is very ClassicPup related.)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 779#723779

Basically: can anyone compile for me (since I can't code) the rt2800usb driver for ClassicPup Top10?

Dewbie

#4898 Post by Dewbie »

starhawk wrote:
Anyone try QtWeb on ClassicPup...?
Yes, this one.
(It's missing the menu entry.)

QtWeb works exceptionally well with old hardware and dial-up.
(unlike the major browsers, which are getting fatter and slower...)
Last edited by Dewbie on Fri 06 Sep 2013, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#4899 Post by starhawk »

The 'missing' menu entry is because the *.desktop file reads, in part...

Code: Select all

Categories: X-Web-Browser
...instead of...

Categories: WebBrowser
...so it shows up in a new "Other" category.

Fix the entry and restart X from the logout dialog and QtWeb magically appears in the proper place... and the "Other" category goes away...

Dewbie

#4900 Post by Dewbie »

I wrote (on page 325):
I've never been able to take my PII/350 online with 2.14x without the CPU eventually hanging at 100% and requiring shutdown; killing processes doesn't work.

(I’m running 2.14x-RC5--the last JWM-only Classic Pup.)

OK, two things caused this:

* SeaMonkey shell-script artifacts.
(leftovers from 2.14R(?)...still hot if you launch them)

* Dillo 0.8.6, outdated and virtually useless.

So I stripped all the above from the .sfs, along with Firefox 3.
(which is much too heavy for anything older than a mid-P3)

Installed SeaMonkey 1.1.19 official binary in .sfs, and running Dillo 2.2 as a .pet.
No more problems.

Dewbie

#4901 Post by Dewbie »

Edit:
Just located the init file.
It does have a fsck boot option for the save file.
(which doesn't work)
It will only fsck partitions at shutdown.

To fsck 2.14x save files manually, boot into pfix=ram.
Go into ROX, to the partition containing save file; do not mount it!
Instead, right click, then left-click Window / Terminal Here.
(For this example, save file is named the default pup_save.2fs.)

Then enter the following:

e2fsck -y  pup_save.2fs
(If save-file space is shrinking, this might get some of it back.)
Last edited by Dewbie on Fri 18 Oct 2013, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#4902 Post by starhawk »

Dewbie -- if it's not too much trouble, could you upload an ISO (remaster or otherwise) of your ClassicPup RC5 somewhere and either post or PM the link (or both)? (PM or both would be preferable since I rarely if ever check this thread...) I have a PII/300 laptop that I'd like to try it on, see how it performs, particularly with regards to the sound driver...

Dewbie

#4903 Post by Dewbie »

starhawk wrote:
if it's not too much trouble, could you upload an ISO (remaster or otherwise) of your ClassicPup RC5 somewhere and either post or PM the link (or both)?
Hosting a file that big isn't possible because I have dial-up. :(
(And I'm not sure whether that's OK without ttuuxxx's permission.)
see how it performs, particularly with regards to the sound driver...
I would assume sound drivers are the same in the latest version.

greengeek

#4904 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote:could you upload an ISO (remaster or otherwise) of your ClassicPup RC5 somewhere
I may have misunderstood (did you want Dewbies remaster?) but if you want Ttuuxxxes original 214xRC5 my link to the iso is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/70too ... 14xRC5.iso

# MD5
ccb062095518592f1917bd6a72c17464

starhawk

#4905 Post by starhawk »

I wanted Dewbie's remaster.

Downloaded what you sent me anyways -- disregard the PM reply I sent, I was confused.

Dewbie

#4906 Post by Dewbie »

starhawk wrote:
I wanted Dewbie's remaster.
You might want to test these instead.
(Wish I'd known about them before...)

starhawk

#4907 Post by starhawk »

So, to be clear, all I need to do to adapt the stock 2.14x-RC5 to your config (or similar) is --

(1) remove dillo, seamonkey, and firefox.
(2) add the seamonkey tar.bz2 as a manual install.
(3) remaster.

I can easily do that. I may even pull out sc0ttman's Woofy tool, since I'm actually more familiar with that than the standard remaster script :oops: all my old dev work was done with Woofy...

Dewbie

#4908 Post by Dewbie »

starhawk wrote:
So, to be clear, all I need to do to adapt the stock 2.14x-RC5 to your config (or similar) is --

(1) remove dillo, seamonkey, and firefox.
(2) add the seamonkey tar.bz2 as a manual install.
(3) remaster.

Basically, yes.
Install Pfind .pet from Puppy 4.x repo, then use that and (built-in) Turma to locate the files.
See my post over here.
Makes it easier to work on larger edits at your own pace.

I installed SeaMonkey in /usr/local (default installation path for official binary).
Then I moved ALL plugins to /usr/local/seamonkey/plugins.

I made /usr/lib/mozilla as a relative link to /usr/local/seamonkey.
(This is because 2 and 3-series Puppies can't see the plugins in a regular usr/lib/mozilla folder.)

I haven't tried any of those static SeaMonkey builds linked above, but they should be faster.

Dewbie

#4909 Post by Dewbie »

Re: page 327, this thread, 11th post (by me)
OK, there is a fsck (filesystem check) script in init, for save files.
But it's broken.
So I started a thread for that here.

Dookus
Location: now living in wonderful Stanmore, inner western suburb of Sydney Australia, where the sun shines nic

RTL8191S USB instead of PCI 2200 Intel

#4910 Post by Dookus »

Hi all.

Inspiron 6000 eth0 is Intel 2200 module loading ipw2200.

Spent some time working on settings in the connection wizard (prefer Frisbee, but not included with this distro)

I find through research that the 2200 cards are not well in Linux, I also have a RTL8191S chip USB device made by Comfast Model CF-300NS, what is the process of getting that recognised and running at start up? probing did not work.