11%
2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

ttuuxxx

#4996 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi guys I just moved back to Canada not long ago after living in Australia for 14yrs. So I'm not really set up with a pc as of yet. Just using a android tablet. But to answer your questions on ext 2, ext3 on 2.14x. Yes please use ext3 it has no known issues on 2.14x. Stay away from ext4 that's not possible on 2.14x.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

musher0

#4997 Post by musher0 »

Oh! Welcome back! :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

ttuuxxx

#4998 Post by ttuuxxx »

musher0 wrote:Oh! Welcome back! :D
Thanks nice to be back. My parents are getting on and my father is starting to forget things so I had to move back and lend a hand. My Aussie wife is getting a taste of the summer here for once. Before she seen late autumn and before that she seen the winter. But our 2 Aussie kids haven't seen snow yet. Boy are they going to see it this winter. Lol
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

cthisbear

#4999 Post by cthisbear »

" Hi guys I just moved back to Canada not long ago "

My mistake. Thought you went back for your Canadian beer.

" I had to move back and lend a hand."

Hope everything goes well.

Cheers from Oz mate....Chris.

Eathray

#5000 Post by Eathray »

k, here are the specs:

1 gig coppermine
512 ram
3 gig swap
vfat partition
frugal install
grub4dos

There's nothing wrong with the install, specs, or partition. Never had a problem with this set up before on 2x through 4x puppies. I know the new stuff likes ext3 and ext4. I use them when appropriate.

The issue is finding the correct boot parameter to get this puppy to call the correct save file and load it instead of giving me a standard list to pick from. I tried using the 'psave' command in the menu list, various ways, but no go. How do I force this deal on boot to select the correct save file?

TTuuxxx, glad your back in puppy land.

Thanks.

wanderer

#5001 Post by wanderer »

great to see you back ttuuxxx

Classic Pup is a masterpiece
I use 214X9 as my primary distro
thanks for making it

I like the versions of firefox and gxine that are already in it
and want to keep them
but I would also like to add some newer versions of firefox and gxine
and perhaps other browsers and media players

does anyone have any suggestions of what will work
and how to update the libraries and codex if needed

thanks again

wanderer

yellodog

#5002 Post by yellodog »

wanderer wrote:but I would also like to add some newer versions of firefox and gxine and perhaps other browsers and media players does anyone have any suggestions of what will work and how to update the libraries and codex if needed
Last year, to my surprise I was able to install recent firefox (30.0 then) on 2.14X just from its website. Really made me go :shock:, but in a pleasant way. Maybe just try the recent version from there.
About media-players, I could compile MPlayer 1.1 from here (make sure you have "devx_214X-top10.0.pet" from the front-page installed). Then just go:

Code: Select all

tar -xzvf MPlayer-1.1.tar.gz
cd MPlayer-1.1
./configure
make
make install
Took some time, but worked (to my surprise again). MPlayer is extremely powerful and can play (and recode) almost anything.
ttuuxxx wrote:My parents are getting on and my father is starting to forget things
I'm in a similar situation with my father now ...
Good to see you back in here.

wanderer

#5003 Post by wanderer »

yellowdog

thanks for the help
I'll try it

wanderer

dealora

#5004 Post by dealora »

¿ Wifi connection ?. A does not work me in my Acer Extensa 7620G ?

cthisbear

#5005 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://www.pcworld.com/product/1320954/ ... ebook.html

Wireless LAN Model PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Chris.

dealora

#5006 Post by dealora »

Thanks cthisbear but I mean I do not go wireless with puppy 2.14X

cthisbear

#5007 Post by cthisbear »

" I mean I do not go wireless with puppy 2.14X "

:::::::::

Your hardware is probably too new for Classic Pup.

You need to buy a wireless dongle that is fast enough
but is also supported by this Pup.

This release is now over 6 years old.

I did have a look because I'm sure ttuuxxx did a last minute
revamp with more wireless support...but I can't find it.

Chris.

Eathray

pidgin gtalk ssl fail

#5008 Post by Eathray »

ttuuxxx,

Google is blocking older ssl so older pidgins won't connect with gtalk anymore. I know you're busy with family, but maybe you could have a look at the deal when you find time? Thanks.

Eathray

Opera 12.16 for 214x Classic

#5009 Post by Eathray »

Okay, so here is a recent version of Opera for 214x Classic:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/k0xg4f

Maybe somebody wants to grab it quick and put it somewhere official because I don't know anything about this file sharing site or how long they'll leave it up.

It's a recent Opera and seems to work mostly good on my older laptop. 12.16 for Linux. This is only my second pet so... hope it works.

eathray

ally

#5010 Post by ally »

Eathray

#5011 Post by Eathray »

ally wrote:^ ^ ^

mirrored here: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_214X

:)
Cool... thank you ally.

Could somebody check that Opera .pet and test to see if it works on your set up as well? I don't know if it needs anything beyond what I already have. Also, could someone report on performance for pII and pIII? It seems to perform okay on my 1gig pIII copperhead. Faster than FF. Does anyone else get the same results?

Thx.

starhawk

#5012 Post by starhawk »

I'm more impatient than most but to me performance on my Dell CPi (P2 300MHz, 128mb RAM) is positively plodding at best... haven't tested it in JWM mode tho.

Eathray

#5013 Post by Eathray »

starhawk wrote:I'm more impatient than most but to me performance on my Dell CPi (P2 300MHz, 128mb RAM) is positively plodding at best... haven't tested it in JWM mode tho.
Plodding is slow, right? Okay, 300 is actually slower than my slowest machine at 366. I'm using jwm, which has always seemed lightest duty to me...

If I do another, it will have ghostery and adblock. Could you test in jwm and let me know on that p2? Thx.

I guess what I'm really thinking about is the comparison between this Opera and FF Aurora 6. Not to take away from what ttuuxxx has done of course... his ff is an amazing performer considering, but the internet just keeps getting heavier.

greengeek

Re: Opera 12.16 for 214x Classic

#5014 Post by greengeek »

Eathray wrote:It's a recent Opera and seems to work mostly good on my older laptop. 12.16 for Linux. This is only my second pet so... hope it works.
Hi Eathray, I tried this on a slacko derivative and it seems to work fine. One strange thing though - when it first runs it brings up a google search for "%U".

I had a look at the .desktop file and the %U is obviously the argument/variable passed to Opera at run time - but I don't know why it performs a search on that term.

Is this variable really needed in the .desktop file? Maybe it could be deleted?

EDIT : I just tried removing the %U from the desktop file and it works fine without it - just goes straight to the default opera page as specified in the preferences. Then just for the heck of it I thought I would try replacing %U with https://www.google.com and it works - when opera opens it goes straight to the local google search page without having to include a profile that has been modified to reflect a different home page. I learnt a new trick!
Attachments
U_variable.jpg
(27.45 KiB) Downloaded 377 times

Eathray

Re: Opera 12.16 for 214x Classic

#5015 Post by Eathray »

greengeek wrote:
Eathray wrote:It's a recent Opera and seems to work mostly good on my older laptop. 12.16 for Linux. This is only my second pet so... hope it works.
Hi Eathray, I tried this on a slacko derivative and it seems to work fine. One strange thing though - when it first runs it brings up a google search for "%U".

I had a look at the .desktop file and the %U is obviously the argument/variable passed to Opera at run time - but I don't know why it performs a search on that term.

Is this variable really needed in the .desktop file? Maybe it could be deleted?
Hmm... Yeah, I vaguely recall something about that... I'll try to look into it this evening... wanted to get this out to keep ttuuxxx interested so he won't abandon development LOL

Consider this an extreme alpha and I'll try for some serious improvements here shortly :)