Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
mini-jaguar

#721 Post by mini-jaguar »

To be fair some other programs I had installed earlier were working, like backgammon (even if some quirks in the piece movements could still be worked out) and probably the video editors, which I still haven't had time to test. I just got frustrated because I couldn't get Audacity to work (works fine now) and I also couldn't figure out Wine (still haven't figured it out).

And I probably messed up Slacko (otherwise more robust than Lucid) by installing that sketchy version of Audacity.

One cool thing about Puppy is that it's fairly simple to reinstall the whole thing in the same partition.

But the battery management problem needs to be addressed. I have crashed my laptop at least 5 times and it's bad for hard drive too.

One important note- I think EVERY tutorial for newbies should start with the following 3 things:
xwin - gets you back in at the cursor
xorgwizard - not as important, as sometimes it's already written on the screen to type it in, but you may have to use it before typing xwin
cntrl-alt-backspace - restores Puppy and is very useful when something is blocked. I think the Windows equivalent is cntl-alt-esc (although it seemed more useful with the earlier versions of Windows), and maybe "Force Quit" is the mac equivalent, although they don't function in the same way.

Tote

#722 Post by Tote »

New here, just saying Hello :D I'll probably have about a million questions.

I installed Wary Puppy about a week ago, on an old laptop. I like it! It works. I boot it from the CD. I've been reading about partitions and mount and unmount. Struggling a bit, I've only ever used XP before, and then only the basics.

I'm enjoying it though. It's interesting. Plus it's cold here and wet and miserable and I've got nothing better to do.

I want to get around to looking at how to save large files, like music and pictures on the hard drive, so I don't use up all the space in the current puppy save file. There's no rush, I'm enjoying looking around here. I'm taking it slowly. Baby steps. :D

All the best.

Namm

#723 Post by Namm »

Hi, Tote. :)

I'm also new, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the stuff under /mnt/home/ doesn't get saved to your Puppy save file.

Another topic: I found some of the fonts in Slacko to be really ugly and "pixelated". This thread helped me: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78&t=73838 (see "hinting-1.0.pet"). Shouldn't that be default?

Tote

#724 Post by Tote »

Hi Namm, I don't know, most of it is Greek to me and the rest is Latin. :shock:

I'm probably wrong, but I assumed the puppy save file was stored on the hard drive so the CD boots faster(???) or something like that, and I noticed when I started downloading stuff to play with my available personal storage free space was disappearing....

I thought mnt/home was the bit saved on my hard drive to store my preferences and make the CD boot faster, annnnnd I thought the puppy save file was on there too, but I've been wrong before, frequently.

I need a Linux bible, something like in the beginning there was a live CD, the live CD begat etc, etc :?

I'm sure someone will put us right or point/push/kick/nudge us in the right direction.

Aitch

#725 Post by Aitch »

try menu/help for starters

Aitch :)

torgo

#726 Post by torgo »

Greetings to our newest members! I'm still pretty new here too, but I'll do my best to answer whatever questions I can.

/mnt is where Puppy locates all your drives or storage devices. Each device gets a name.

If you have one hard drive with two partitions, the partitions would be named sda1 and (in a typical Windows environment) probably sda5. A second hard drive with just one partition would be sdb1.

If you had those two hard drives and then plugged in a USB flash drive, the USB drive would be named sdc1.

But there's a twist - you can't choose to mount and unmount the drive or device where you have your save file. That one has to stay mounted at all times. And instead of going by its other name, Puppy names it "home".

So when you first boot a Windows system using a Puppy CD, the Windows C: drive would be /mnt/sda1. But if you store your save file on that drive, it will then show up as /mnt/home whenever you boot using that save file.

Storing non-vital files outside of Puppy's file system is a good idea for saving space within your save file. It also makes it easier to access those files if you have more than one save file.

That's frequently a good idea. Save files can get pretty big when you start installing lots of specialized programs. You might have one save file dedicated to video editing, another for games, and another for database work, with another for ordinary usage such as the internet.

Also, some programs don't play nicely when you try to uninstall them. You might want to create extra save files just to experiment with new toys. That way you can just delete that save file if you get stuck with unwanted programs hogging all the space.

Note that if you have only one save file, Puppy will automatically load it without asking. You have to hit F2 or F3 for help at the "wait five seconds" message when first booting, and then use type puppy pfix=ram at the prompt. If you hit F2, the help screen will help you with that.

Once you have two or more save files, Puppy will ask you which one you want to load, or give you the option of loading none of them and running a fresh new session.

/mnt/home is definitely outside of Puppy's internal file system. Any folders you create there will be saved on that drive and can be accessed by any save file or any session run directly from the live CD.

Also, the Puppy boot routine can find save files and the main Puppy system file on your hard drive if you have it at the top level directory or one folder deep on any given drive.

So if you're in Windows and decide to make a C:\Puppy folder to hold your Puppy stuff, Puppy will be able to find it. But if you then make a C:\Puppy\SaveFile folder and put it there, then Puppy would not be able to see it when booting.

Or in purely Puppy terms, a /mnt/home/Puppy folder is a good place to store save files, but /mnt/home/Puppy/SaveFile would be one level too deep for the Puppy CD to find any save files that you move there.

Tote

#727 Post by Tote »

Hi torgo, thanks for taking the time to reply. I read it four times and I think if I read it a few more some of it'll sink in.... I hope :D

Shep

#728 Post by Shep »

Vansloneker wrote:I find it a real drawback for portable use that Firefox has to be installed by the user. In situations where one is working on any computer and has to look up things and can't or won't use a save file it's an omission.
All contain a browser, it is the choice of the developer whether Firefox or Seamonkey is included.

The current Slacko has Firefox 7, Exprimo comes with Firefox 9

torgo

#729 Post by torgo »

Lucid only has Dillo. I guess it was to save space and keep the whole thing under 128 meg, but that's a pretty big sacrifice in functionality.

Earlier, I mentioned remastering your own CD as a way for Lucid users to have their browser of choice already on the disc.

That might sound scary for new users, but it's not so bad. If you click the Control icon, that opens the Pup Control Panel. Click the Install tab, and you'll see that one of the choices is "Remaster". It opens up a wizard that lets you turn your current session into a custom Puppy CD.

My favorite trick for keeping things small: download all the Pet files you would want and store them in a directory somewhere on your hard drive, outside of Puppy's internal file system. (eg put them somewhere in /mnt/home)

Then boot a clean session (no save file) and remaster your own custom CD with all those pets added as extra files on the disc. Not installed as programs, but there on the CD as pet files. (Perhaps install your favorite broswer first to save time, but leave the others uninstalled.)

That way, they won't be in the main system file - Puppy will still be lightweight and load quickly. But you don't have to download the extra toys to install them. Just open the disc and click the pet files.

You can get the latest pets for all the browers from the News page in Quickpet. You can also get pets from the Puppy repository by anonymous FTP from distro.ibiblio.org or one of the other mirrors.

Shep

#730 Post by Shep »

torgo wrote:Lucid only has Dillo. I guess it was to save space and keep the whole thing under 128 meg, but that's a pretty big sacrifice in functionality.
I think it was so as to give users complete choice of which big browser to install. Sort of an attempt to please everyone!

W4RP1G

#731 Post by W4RP1G »

It doesn't have native support for my wifi PCI. I have the Realtek 8192se.

Also, NDISWRAPPER doesn't recognize it either. I made a thread with all the details.

Basically working out of the box is everyone's hope when using a new distro, save for advanced users. When making the switch from Mint to Puppy, I was dreading having to get everything to work right. Fortuantely, the only thing that doesn't work out of the box is the wifi driver, but I have spent a consuderable amount of time trying to get the issue resolved. Also, Lucid Puppy freezes after about 5 minutes, so I use Slacko.

Despite that, everything else is wonderful. It's lightweight and fast while still offering a considerable amount of features. I'm extremely happy with Puppy, except for freezing and wireless issue. I hate to say it, but I may have to make a switch to something else with better wireless support if I can't come to a resolution. No wireless is a deal breaker.

Constantine

#732 Post by Constantine »

frefel wrote:Puppy is fantastic and I'm only starting to know it.

I would like to see a stable version of Firefox, preferable one of the more recent ones for security reasons, instead of Seamonkey. FF has more useful add-on options, including Xmarks, which I find invaluable. I realize I can add FF to Puppy but I have found it prone to crashing with certain video formats and with my YahooMail.
Try using Opera. For me was working realy quick (with my 256 DDR1 Mb) and I didn't have the problems that I had with Mozilla-based browsers (scripts stop responding, plug-in's in conflict, etc.)

Fiddlesticks

Puppy Dog Feedback

#733 Post by Fiddlesticks »

Great package 5.28 Lucid version. The boot speed has increased and there are not all these questions about keyboards and resolution that appeared in prior editions (back to 4.3 in my experience.)
My user name is Fiddlesticks because was I frustrated trying to register for this forum. It felt like any name I picked was not allowed. Could you give someone signing up some idea of what is and not allowed? I tried various names with Free and was denied. If I only knew what the secret to choosing a user name is. How about an FAQ on the web page to register: How to choose a user name.
Enough griping, that was the only problem I had. Installing Lucid528 to a HD is even simpler than previous versions. Everything is so fast.
If I had a choice of something to add, I would like 2 buttons on the desktop CONNECT1 and CONNECT2 that would allow me to have two browsers to choose from. If anyone has a hint for me to do this now, would be much appreciated.
Still breaking this in but shutdown is so much faster. Thank you!
Wow, how come Microsoft does not make things this simple? Oh well forget that.
Congratulations on a great operating system.
Fiddlesticks

Jasper

#734 Post by Jasper »

Hi Fiddlesticks,

I don't actually have Lucid 5.2.8, but this should work:

Assuming you have a second Browser installed and an icon already on your desktop that is a picture of a house (likely at the top left corner of your screen) then left click on it.

Now many files should almost fill your screen, but if you only see a few lines of icons then left click on the icon at the top of your screen that looks like an eye (to toggle on/off) and all the hidden files should appear. Hidden files begin with a dot/full stop.

Now find the ".usr" (listed alphabetically) folder and left click it
Now left click on "share"
Now left click on "applications"
Now find your browser name and left click on it
If the browser loads that is the icon you want,
close the browser
Now left click and hold down and drag the icon to a free area on your desktop and release the mouse button.

Now right click in the icon and then left click "Edit item" then change the "text under icon" if you want to call it "connect 2" or whatever. then left click the "locked" box then click "OK".

Now drag and drop the icon to your choice of position on your desktop.

Your can also change the icon and/or make a shortcut if you explore after right clicking.

If it works you can test any "desktop" icon that appears in the "applications" directory/folder and drag and drop on your desktop.

My regards

PS You can edit and remove the lock tick then click "remove item" if you wish. So you can make tests or changes with, in this instance, virtually no possibility of causing any damage.

You can minimise (or roll-up/down)this screen and bring it back as necessary so you don't have to remember or make of copy of these notes.

cfmendez

#735 Post by cfmendez »

I am new to Puppy linux, meaning that slacko 5.3 has been running in my laptop for a week now. Let me explain.
Hardware. A four year-old Compaq laptop V3400 series I got from my job, with an AMD sempron processor, nvidia card and originally furnished with 512 MB RAM to run…. Windows Vista! It was painful as you can imagine, so much that I decided to expand the RAM even though that voided the warranty. With 2 GB RAM, Vista does its job, but it takes me over 8 minutes (since the moment I press the power button) to launch the browser and a few extra moments to get my mail checked.
My background. I am, what I consider, a regular computer guy. I have installed windows awfully many times in several computers and my only real experience with Linux was Ubuntu from 7.04 and some other updates.
The inspiration. My wife has a Samsung netbook running W7 starter edition that came with Phoenix HyperSpace instant-on environment. She only uses windows and one day, by chance, I came across HyperSpace, put it to work and found it nearly instant-on and much faster that W7. I recognized the Linux look immediately and exploring a bit I read that it was somewhat based (I don’t know how much) on Puppy Linux.
You can imagine the rest. Downloaded puppy, bought one those store’n’stay pendrives and following a pdf tutorial I was up and running almost hassles. Although I initially aimed at doing something like HyperSpace I ended up with a complete alternative OS that is fully functional in less than 1 minute. So far I've explored, slacko does better that vista in things like video streaming and skype voice calls. All I have to do is clicking the escape key at boot and decide. No changes were done to windows or the hard disk.
What I’d like easier.
1.- I read a post about how dangerous it is to run slacko as root, and I don´t get it. I guess I’ll have to go deeper into Linux.
2.- I can’t configure the webcam. I am sure there is a post explaining how to do it, and it´s not essential to me, but I am surprised about slacko’s reluctance to it.
3.- My synaptics touchpad is not working the way I am used to. Double click is not an option.
Overall, I am extremely satisfied with slacko. I think it delivers speed and power to my computer, just to do the things I want to do in a laptop. I am anxious to experiment with a disk install in an old desktop with 384 MB RAM just for the fun of it. It’s planned for the weekend.
Great work, congratulations and thank you very much.
Carlos

Dewbie

#736 Post by Dewbie »

I read a post about how dangerous it is to run slacko as root, and I don´t get it.
That debate has been going on for years, even before Slacko.
I am anxious to experiment with a disk install in an old desktop with 384 MB RAM just for the fun of it. It’s planned for the weekend.

Try Wary. It's specifically made for older hardware.

antiloquax

#737 Post by antiloquax »

cfmendez wrote:
2.- I can’t configure the webcam. I am sure there is a post explaining how to do it, and it´s not essential to me, but I am surprised about slacko’s reluctance to it.
I used Guvcview. There's a thread about it here.

Re: logging in as root. Most Linux users don't do this - they run as a normal user and then use "sudo" when they need to do something that requires root privileges. Personally, I don't thinks it's a problem :wink:
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

BADGER.BRAD

Puppy install complications !!!

#738 Post by BADGER.BRAD »

I'd like to see a simple install process like other distros I have used ( Mandiva ,Mandrake before that, Ubuntu,Lubuntu and Xubuntu) I have tried to install to my workshop machine but have found I need to Edit files to get the thing to boot. As the Puppy version I have uses a Ubuntu base why will it not install like Ubuntu ? I think this problem will be a major obstacle to people using Puppy which is a shame as it seems to work really well from the CD ! Unfortunately it has now stopped my machine booting into Xubuntu so I will have to do a reload most likely of Lubuntu as the machine is quite old.

Brad

darkcity

#739 Post by darkcity »

If you already have bootloader GRUB in place then there is an easy way to install - maybe this should be made more obvious with some level of automation. :arrow:

Pete22

the user Root

#740 Post by Pete22 »

The User Name of Root. Geeks understand what that means and why it is important to
know if you are using Root or not. Users do not understand why, so the word Root means
nothing to them. Users want geeks to make the program safe enough for them to use
without hurting anything. Geeks are totally capable of getting to a desktop, tweaking and
rebooting in Root if they want.

Users, however, are not capable of doing the reverse.

I like the name of a program I found back when I was using windose vista. It was called
Godmode. It overrides windose demand that only the “trusted installer" has the right to do
certain functions. The name immediately impressed on my mind that unless I knew what I
was doing, I should not mess with Godmode.

The name Root does not give me that same impression.
I think of a family tree or digging for ancestral roots. :D

Perhaps, Root user should be called Godmode or another word that would give the same
impression. There's also a game that has 4 levels of play.
The 4th level is listed for The creator of the known universe. :wink:

Even the name Geekmode would work I think.

So you could have

Usermode
and
Geekmode

What do you think?

Pete