#1007 Post by cokolo »

Huawei usb modern not working
am using slacko 6.3

LazY Puppy

Re: help

#1008 Post by LazY Puppy »

cokolo wrote:Huawei usb modern not working
Welcome to the club! :wink:

Probably installing these packages will help?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=97692
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=97691

Try it first without to use a save file (boot pfix=ram).
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

cokolo

lazzy puppy

#1009 Post by cokolo »

i am using thar puppy 6.0.5 now
its working fine now.

how do i install a floating dock menu like mac installed
and i also want to learn how to program in c as a nonprogrammer
Attachments
ht62q9.jpg
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
capture1982.png
(21.45 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Last edited by cokolo on Fri 03 Jun 2016, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

cokolo

my puppy

#1010 Post by cokolo »

i just want my puppy to look cool too.
any ideas?

RetroTechGuy

Re: lazzy puppy

#1011 Post by RetroTechGuy »

cokolo wrote:and i also want to learn how to program in c as a nonprogrammer
You want to add the "devx" file for your system of choice.

2 steps -- drop it in the directory where your other .sfs file resides, then under Menu >> System >> Bootmanager Configure you want to "add" this package to the boot process.

Look in the appropriate directory for the file:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... cko-6.3.0/
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Jrickard

#1012 Post by Jrickard »

hello all, new member and also very new to puppy (slacko) and linux period.

I downloaded pup because microsoft has made me so frustrated that if i didnt leave their os I would have probably lost it and went jihad LOL! So i make a disc, booted up and made me a few usb, everything was ok, lil better instructions maybe as I am not a comp wiz but i am learning a lil bit, like where to look for the iso file :) Pup runs fine on 1 laptop I have and not as well on other netbook but this netbook has had a rough life.

It worked fine on an old dell 2400 desktop that i had around, it had low ram less than half a gb and ran fine, it now has 2gb and is better, although i couldnt get online as i dont have net out here in the sticks so i use my tethered iphone (whcih will be my last, sick of apple BS too) and the old dell with xp wont recognize it as anything but a camera,

Main comp I use is my wifes Toshiba P755,(hate this comp too but it works) my gateway nv54 was destroyed by windows 10, to be fair it did take a fall off car a few years back.

Issues, well first anything command line, period, its an experts way of doing things and seems like a foreign antique riddle to me , everywhere you look for a bit of assistance online they run out these long cmd lines like everyone knows what to do with it LOL I understand the space constraints in the os for puppies but I have it on a 32gb flash and also on two other 16gbs. heck my old dell only has an 80gb hdd LOL. Only thing i have figured out was getting flash and making usb boot, all i really do is look around net. but it would be nice to use built in camera without becoming a programmer in the process.
Last would be the names of things, have to look up everything because there is no rhyme or reason readily apparent. i mean come on sylpeed, geany...who names this stuff?

The great thing about it is its quick to boot and boots over whatever the comp os is and is fast on the net even with my tethered and signal boosted iphone as source, that was easy to set up, Frisbee it works LOL
I am not planning on leaving pup but if I found an easier to use one I would.

Just my experience over the last couple of weeks since I got slacko, hope it helps

rcrsn51

#1013 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jrickard wrote:i mean come on sylpeed, geany...who names this stuff?
The same people who named excel, powerpoint, google, twitter ...

learnhow2code

#1014 Post by learnhow2code »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jrickard wrote:i mean come on sylpeed, geany...who names this stuff?
The same people who named excel, powerpoint, google, twitter ...
yeah but linux people use too many alphabets. ive been running CompTIA in the MCSE window manager, and so far its A+. but it would be better with a new BIOS on the ASUS, according to the IT pdf from IDG. (url) lol j/k.

Burn_IT

#1015 Post by Burn_IT »

Complain to the United Nations and tell them that they need to make ALL countries use English and Latin script.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

jfcarroll

Hope to make Puppy Linux better

#1016 Post by jfcarroll »

This is my first post to the forum. I installed Puppy Linux for the first time last week. However, I have in the past used Linux as my primary operating system for over 7 years, including Debian and Ubuntu.

The thing that brought me to Puppy was that I wanted an up-to-date LiveCD; the current live-disc for Ubuntu is now 1.4 GB and too big for a CD. So now I'm using Puppy. I like it.

I thing the Puppy Linux goals are great, including:
Puppy will be extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
Puppy will just work, no hassles.
The first issue that I ran into when using Puppy Linux was with the Puppy Package Manager (PPM). When I went to update the repositories, I was presented with the option of whether or not to download each package database. I had to hit ENTER for each repository. I would prefer that all repositories be updated by default.

I searched the wiki, the forum, and other sites to change this behavior. I skimmed through this sticky thread from Oct 2014 to the present (the time that Tahrpup has been released). I didn't see any mention of package manager database update nor repository update, so I decided to post here.

I did discover that this option exists within the configuration of PPM, which is wonderful. I recommend that this option be set to use the "silent" method by default.

Similarly, I recommend that the terminal windows be hidden by default.

See attached screenshot for recommended default configuration for PPM.

These two changes would help Puppy Linux achieve it's goals of being more friendly to Linux newbies, and to "just work."

Thank you!
Attachments
recommended-defaults-ppm.png
I recommend these settings as the default for the Puppy Package Manager
(29.78 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

learnhow2code

Re: Hope to make Puppy Linux better

#1017 Post by learnhow2code »

jfcarroll wrote:See attached screenshot for recommended default configuration for PPM.
good suggestions, imo.

Sailor Enceladus

#1018 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@jfcarroll: That's all fine and dandy unless there's a problem and then you can't see what the problem is (a.k.a Windows style).

rstuff

Linux For Old Dogs

#1019 Post by rstuff »

I was looking for a Linux distribution for old dogs. I was upgrading Mint and found I had narrow scrollbars that jumped several pages when scrolling. I decided to try Puppy Linux. I could not get wifi to work with Puppy. I could not find an option for WPA2 security and not broadcasting my SSID did not help. I still prefer to have my "Activities" at the bottom of the screen reminiscent of XP. Maybe there is a distro or theme out there somewhere that would save me hours of configuring an update and still be easy to use.

foofecker

#1020 Post by foofecker »

Running Puppy from a USB key on a Sony Vaio laptop/netbook as my Lubuntu distro crashed and I haven't gotten around to fixing it. Using Slacko 6.3. 1.6ghz AMD processor, 4gb RAM.

Puppy runs surprisingly well and I quite like it even as a backup. I've no real technical knowledge of computers though and Puppy is confusing me.

It's running from the RAM and the site assures me that this is fine and normal, but I don't quite understand how the storage is working. Or if installing it to the HDD is better? Also, can I just plug it into any PC now to work as per usual or will that mess with settings every time?

Essentially Puppy is doing the job just fine at the moment and I like it - but I don't really understand it enough to stick with it once I get my PC up and running again with Lubuntu. Although I'll definitely keep the USB key as a future back up.

PS thank you for all the info on the forums!

Moose On The Loose

#1021 Post by Moose On The Loose »

foofecker wrote:Running Puppy from a USB key on a Sony Vaio laptop/netbook as my Lubuntu distro crashed and I haven't gotten around to fixing it. Using Slacko 6.3. 1.6ghz AMD processor, 4gb RAM.

Puppy runs surprisingly well and I quite like it even as a backup. I've no real technical knowledge of computers though and Puppy is confusing me.

It's running from the RAM and the site assures me that this is fine and normal, but I don't quite understand how the storage is working. Or if installing it to the HDD is better? Also, can I just plug it into any PC now to work as per usual or will that mess with settings every time?
If you make a "savefile", the next time you boot, puppy will look for it and if it finds it and also if the hardware it sees supports the choices you made, there will be no questions.

If you move onto a new machine taking the save file with you, you may get asked questions if puppy thinks the choices from before don't apply to this hardware.

For most users, running out of ram is fine. If you are doing stuff like video editing or some scientific computing, you may want to consider a full install.

Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

#1022 Post by 847563 »

Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Also the programs which are additionally loaded get put somewhere and I can't find where they are to install.

If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your usage would be much higher. Note that this has improved with new releases of self installing distros, but more needs to be done.

I am running this from a small usb stick on a win7 machine and love it's speed.

Cheers,

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

#1023 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

847563 wrote:Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.
Can you give some examples? I think each command would have to be looked at separately to integrate into what you need.

Semme

#1024 Post by Semme »

"Syntactically" is a word in what universe?

Yeah, well, it's so easy -- Build that pup Bro..
I don't want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Uh, incase you haven't noticed, Pup users @ large could care a less..
If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your user-base would be much higher.
DON'T be so damn critical. You love it's speed? Enjoy it, and contribute as you're able.. :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

april

Re: Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

#1025 Post by april »

847563 wrote:Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Also the programs which are additionally loaded get put somewhere and I can't find where they are to install.

If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your usage would be much higher. Note that this has improved with new releases of self installing distros, but more needs to be done.

I am running this from a small usb stick on a win7 machine and love it's speed.

Cheers,

Hmm Linux users in general get a hold of whats going on in their machines and can adjust things to suit themselves. Programs do not usually run unless you give them permission to run which saves all those malware programs from running too.

Its your choice . be led like a bull with a ring through its nose to the slaughter or live an interesting life on the farm without watching for the blade or the gun.
Most programs go into a binary .../bin/ directory . An .exe .is a binary proogram
There are a few of those however and depending on the program they can go in various places .
System operations ....../sys/bin/
Users programs...../usr/bin/...../usr/local/bin/..../usr/share/bin/
Its a free choice by the developer
some are using /opt/ for all their stuff i notice

If you want to find something use "pfind" in the menu under "Filesystem " ,give it some part of the name and stand back.
Last edited by april on Sun 18 Sep 2016, 06:57, edited 5 times in total.