Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
Moose On The Loose

#1021 Post by Moose On The Loose »

foofecker wrote:Running Puppy from a USB key on a Sony Vaio laptop/netbook as my Lubuntu distro crashed and I haven't gotten around to fixing it. Using Slacko 6.3. 1.6ghz AMD processor, 4gb RAM.

Puppy runs surprisingly well and I quite like it even as a backup. I've no real technical knowledge of computers though and Puppy is confusing me.

It's running from the RAM and the site assures me that this is fine and normal, but I don't quite understand how the storage is working. Or if installing it to the HDD is better? Also, can I just plug it into any PC now to work as per usual or will that mess with settings every time?
If you make a "savefile", the next time you boot, puppy will look for it and if it finds it and also if the hardware it sees supports the choices you made, there will be no questions.

If you move onto a new machine taking the save file with you, you may get asked questions if puppy thinks the choices from before don't apply to this hardware.

For most users, running out of ram is fine. If you are doing stuff like video editing or some scientific computing, you may want to consider a full install.

Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

#1022 Post by 847563 »

Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Also the programs which are additionally loaded get put somewhere and I can't find where they are to install.

If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your usage would be much higher. Note that this has improved with new releases of self installing distros, but more needs to be done.

I am running this from a small usb stick on a win7 machine and love it's speed.

Cheers,

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

#1023 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

847563 wrote:Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.
Can you give some examples? I think each command would have to be looked at separately to integrate into what you need.

Semme

#1024 Post by Semme »

"Syntactically" is a word in what universe?

Yeah, well, it's so easy -- Build that pup Bro..
I don't want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Uh, incase you haven't noticed, Pup users @ large could care a less..
If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your user-base would be much higher.
DON'T be so damn critical. You love it's speed? Enjoy it, and contribute as you're able.. :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

april

#1025 Post by april »

847563 wrote:Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Also the programs which are additionally loaded get put somewhere and I can't find where they are to install.

If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your usage would be much higher. Note that this has improved with new releases of self installing distros, but more needs to be done.

Cheers,

Hmm Linux users in general get a hold of whats going on in their machines and can adjust things to suit themselves. Programs do not usually run unless you give them permission to run which saves all those malware programs from running too.

Its your choice . be led like a bull with a ring through its nose to the slaughter or live an interesting life on the farm without watching for the blade or the gun.
Most programs go into a binary .../bin/ directory . An .exe .is a binary proogram
There are a few of those however and depending on the program they can go in various places .
System operations ....../sys/bin/
Users programs...../usr/bin/...../usr/local/bin/..../usr/share/bin/
Its a free choice by the developer
some are using /opt/ for all their stuff i notice

If you want to find something use "pfind" in the menu under "Filesystem " ,give it some part of the name and stand back.
Last edited by april on Sun 18 Sep 2016, 06:57, edited 5 times in total.

april

#1026 Post by april »

Semme wrote:"Syntactically" is a word in what universe?:wink:
:wink: -works for me http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/syntactic

Yeah, well, it's so easy -- Build that pup Bro.. Two dots ,two dashes now? :wink::wink:
I don't want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Uh, incase you haven't noticed, Pup users @ large could not care [a] less..
If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your user-base would be much higher.
DON'T be so damn critical. You love it's speed? Enjoy it, and contribute as you're able..

Now now Semme puff slower! :wink::wink
I hope you do not find this offensive Semme , its not meant to be , but I have decided you are probably Phillipino or Malaysian judging by your recent comments on English and punctuation . Am I right?

Well, perhaps just a pissed Aussie like me .

Pelo

Newbies with Puppy Linux:

#1027 Post by Pelo »

Newbies with Puppy Linux: i did not translate any of above posts. I'm am still a newbie after three years living with a lot of puppies. Never i refused to give my ignorance to newbies in Linux programming.
But be sure you need patience with these guys ! you are silly, idiots, you make them loose time ! However we continue to give them some help. Some are very kind with Puppy newbies, but some are awfull, as if we were their slaves :!: My hope is that thousands of newbies (from Windows) register in the forum to ask silly questions of.. newbies :twisted:
Attachments
Linux.jpg
Blue newbies (from Windows) please register, to balance the red point (newbies in Linux programming).
(5.88 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

ARModer64

I want Puppy but

#1028 Post by ARModer64 »

I like to install MATE on debiandog..

backi

#1029 Post by backi »

Hi !
Mate will be really heavy ---more than 300 megab.

Maybe look here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 425#930425

ARModer64

#1030 Post by ARModer64 »

Just joined here yesterday (here in our timezone)..Currently using DebianDog.. And its quiet sonic speed on my Acer Aspire One D257.. (I am from 1.Windows 2.Debian and 3.archlinux) but the time I saw this Beautiful OS.. I tried almost all of the flavors.. XenialDog(pup),Debiandog(Dpup),Slacko,Saluki,tahrpup,Macpup..but I found my self stable in debiandog... The reason that I only joined here yesterday since last 2 years I am Only viewing And visiting this page.. but I cant stopped my self from joining since I wanna join any discussion on this OS if there is a thing that I can Help.. :)n
Puppy Linux User from Philippines!!!
"Know your Limitations and let me BREAK IT!"
CurrentOS: Debian Dog

ARModer64

#1031 Post by ARModer64 »

backi wrote:Hi !
Mate will be really heavy ---more than 300 megab.

Maybe look here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 425#930425
Yeah That's me asking how to install it and now..I finally Installed it. but it looks like ancient style (unlike linuxmint)..so i just removed it.. Anyway thanks for your help.. My greatest appreciation.. :)

Illutorium

x64/PAE on to Modern puppies at Modern use drivers

#1032 Post by Illutorium »

Then I will be have a another question about it build...
So if PAE/64bit (Common: x86 as 32bit or i686/x64) it's will use only Intel,Nvidia,AMD - when so how are be keeped at vintage graphics (except at FatDog64 of 700/710 and My build of "Tahr Lite") it anyway...?
So I removed at "*" of anything and replace to "radeon","novueau","intel","vesa" at Woof-CE - Effect? Less use at libraries at anyway of a Modern machines,When i don't want to be force at idea because that's would be a freedom it anyway' but I remember in a October 2010 (?) I will be modificated at Ubuntu Customization Kit when I removed at all vintage drivers and that's will still works anyway'
When so how are be so much keeped for a 64bit builds instead... (I will be want to a only questions for it anyway...)
Attachments
ModernTahrLitePAE-FromMyBuild-XorgDriversForModernUse.png
(16.97 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
TrustyStockPAE-XorgDriversForModernUse.png
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 461 times

HerrBert

#1033 Post by HerrBert »

dogle wrote:Newbies - Puppy is a brilliant distro for all sorts of people - but not yet for everyone (yet!). Some - hopefully just a few - don't get along with it. To make Puppy even better, we need to know WHY. If Puppy is not the answer to all your prayers, and especially if you are thinking of moving elsewhere, please pause and tell us what you didn't like, or what you would like to see get better, in this thread...
i'm afraid i can't help, because i don't think about moving elsewhere :wink:
running different puppies on different machines, some older, one new with uefi. not all worked OOTB, but days of reading here in the forum helped getting all to work.

like ARModer64 i came here frequently to search for solutions since last year

in germany we say: "...wo ein Wille ist, ist auch ein Weg!"

in diesem Sinne

keep up the great work

passenger237

#1034 Post by passenger237 »

A tale of woe.

A couple of months ago I installed slacko-6.3.2 on sda, but something ate roughly 20 G of a more or less full install and not much more more.

Compared with sdb slacko-64 of about 4G with the same programmes something was wrong.

Doing an update of sdb the system locked up and has stopped booting and with a sda root directory so full it could not accept updates, I decided to do a reinstall.

Alas during reinstall this electronic marvel told me that it could not find the XX.sfs file and was abandoning the install.....

To digress...... There's more than one thread about this and though the thread I started is marked resolved, that's only cause I didn't understand the fix and decided to re download the iso and try again.

Both slacko installs went the same way ..... Carn't find XX.sfs. Boot abandoned!

So I installed Tahr-6.0.5 to find that it's a ubuntu spin and I hate ubuntu.

I will, with distinct reluctance, work with it, until slacko fix it's iso's inability to find XX.sfs.

However upon the first boot of Tahr-6.0.5, from sda1, it's asking me to set the langauge and time zone again.

Filed away under interesting and to digress again. The two programmes I installed into Tahr (Kvirc and Midori) are not in this boot. Nor will vlc work.

I carn't help but wonder how many have walked away from slacko puppy because the iso can't find the XX.sfs file therefore won't boot. It's not a good first impression.

Now I think I'll go examine the forums for a cure to vlc not working.

rokytnji

#1035 Post by rokytnji »

Woe Woe Woe your boat.
Gently down the stream.
Merrily Merrily Merrily Merrily.
Mount the usb.

<to find the .sfs file> :lol:

Done usually during a frugal install. All other .sfs go in home.

I have put save files in Windows and have them found. Not sure where problem lies on the above post.

CarlosTheHyena

#1036 Post by CarlosTheHyena »

Cheers,

I know exactly what you mean. And considering this thread is asking users for feedback and constructive criticism of puppy with a view to make Puppy more amenable to as many people as possible, it's really ironic that replies to your post are critical, unhelpful, sarcastic and rude. I've been there before.

But I agree, what we need a a new version of Puppy called NormalPuppy. For normal users who aren't interested in tinkering under the hood, but want something similar to Ubuntu. Kind of. eg installing program, you are right, why cant it be put in context menu right away with a message to that effect?

Anyway, my two-penny's worth,

musher0

#1037 Post by musher0 »

Hello Carlos.

Strange... When I install a new program from a *.pet archive, at the end of
the process, I always get a confirmation panel in the middle of the screen
saying something like "Program so-and-so has been installed".

Maybe I'm not understanding your question properly?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

RichieO

Problem with downloading Puppy

#1038 Post by RichieO »

Hello!

I'm completely new here and I wanted to Puppy Linux today.
But I can't download it, yet, because I don't even know what to download.
The Puppy download sites are some of the most confusing sites I have ever seen.
Seems like they where made for chasing away all those interested.

1. Arrival at puppylinux.org
I see multiple links having the word 'download' in them. That's kind of unusual. I take the 'How to download Puppy Linux' link, because if they have special instrucstions on downloading PL, there might be a reason...

2. Opened 'How to download Puppy Linux'
The firste sentence on this page tells me, that 'Quirky Unicorn and Slacko Puppy 5.7 (Slackware-compatible) are in the latest release page.'

While assuming, that 'Quirky Unicorn' is the default, vanilla Puppy Linux, because it's written first, I wonder, why they had to take me on an extra page fpr telling me that.
As I'm new to Puppy Linux, I now know, that 'Quirky Unicorn' is what I want to have, because it seems to be the standard Puppy distribution.

3. Opened 'latest release page'
(3rd page on puppylinux.org, it's abotu time they show me the download I think..)
I'm searching the page fpr 'Quirky Unicorn', because No.2 made me think, that this was what I needed.
But:
There's nothing like 'Quirky Unicorn' on the whole page.
Then I think:
Maybe they forgot to refresh all those redundant download related pages, so possibly the latest release might be this one: 'Quirky Xerus'.

But:
Quirky Xerus is only there for Raspberry Pi, from the looks...

I search browsing through the remaining text..
I find a link fpr 'Slacko', but I don't know Slackware, and I want default Puppy..
I find a link to WindowsExe (for whatever version) but I don't have Windows.
I find a link for old versions, but I want the current one, as it was praised in the link that took me there!

Well.. it doesn't seem to be there.

Damn, this Puppy Linux has to be complicated, if I can't even figure how to download it!
Think I'll stay wih Xubuntu 16.10...

PS:
I noticed, that there are some typos in the post, after reading it in the forum.
But when I go to the editor, the font becomes so small, that I can hardly read my text there and my eyes start burning, so I can't fix this.
Sorry.

01101001b

#1039 Post by 01101001b »

CarlosTheHyena wrote:

Cheers,

I know exactly what you mean. And considering this thread is asking users for feedback and constructive criticism of puppy with a view to make Puppy more amenable to as many people as possible, it's really ironic that replies to your post are critical, unhelpful, sarcastic and rude. I've been there before.

But I agree, what we need a a new version of Puppy called NormalPuppy. For normal users who aren't interested in tinkering under the hood, but want something similar to Ubuntu. Kind of. eg installing program, you are right, why cant it be put in context menu right away with a message to that effect?
Guys, you're missing the point. There's NO way a small system (like Puppy for instance) can do EVERYTHING you want, your way, *without* YOU tinkering it (!)

You, and only you, know what you want, like you want. Nobody else.

"Simplicity" means different things for different people. Your only chance is to try different systems until you find one that suits you better (but never perfectly, because it's *impossible* UNLESS *you make it*, and that condition was ruled out from the beginning).

Ubuntu, Wind*ws... are really big because they try to do everything simpler for the users (failing spectacularly sometimes). And it's ok. But even in them, sooner o later, you'll need to tinker something yourself (or get someone to fix it for you).

Luckily for all of us, there's plenty of options to choose from. But what you are asking for, as I see it, it's an impossibility. "Small" and eventual "tinkering" go hand in hand, inevitably. :(

01101001b

Re: Problem with downloading Puppy

#1040 Post by 01101001b »

RichieO wrote:Damn, this Puppy Linux has to be complicated, if I can't even figure how to download it!
Think I'll stay wih Xubuntu 16.10.
Every derivative from Puppy is really good. It's almost a matter of personal taste which to use. I use LxPup 16.07 (Xenial Xerus based) because it works better *for me* than LxPupSc (Slackware based).

In fact, I prefer 16.07 than the most recent, 16.08.2 (Xenial). LxPupSc most recent version is 17.03.1

You can download them from here. Hope this helps :)

PS: Or if you're willing to try Puppy Linux in its original flavor :wink: you can find it here