Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 20:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 70 of 70 [1040 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 68, 69, 70
CarlosTheHyena

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan 2017, 09:45    Post subject: Re: Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!
Subject description: Y not Puppy

847563 wrote:
Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Also the programs which are additionally loaded get put somewhere and I can't find where they are to install.

If I didn't have to struggle with these problems your usage would be much higher. Note that this has improved with new releases of self installing distros, but more needs to be done.

I am running this from a small usb stick on a win7 machine and love it's speed.

Cheers,

I know exactly what you mean. And considering this thread is asking users for feedback and constructive criticism of puppy with a view to make Puppy more amenable to as many people as possible, it's really ironic that replies to your post are critical, unhelpful, sarcastic and rude. I've been there before.

But I agree, what we need a a new version of Puppy called NormalPuppy. For normal users who aren't interested in tinkering under the hood, but want something similar to Ubuntu. Kind of. eg installing program, you are right, why cant it be put in context menu right away with a message to that effect?

Anyway, my two-penny's worth,
musher0

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan 2017, 14:36    Post subject:  

Hello Carlos.

Strange... When I install a new program from a *.pet archive, at the end of
the process, I always get a confirmation panel in the middle of the screen
saying something like "Program so-and-so has been installed".

Maybe I'm not understanding your question properly?

BFN.

on the throne is just a monkey on top of a roof." (Bernard de Clervaux)
RichieO

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2017, 00:57    Post subject: Problem with downloading Puppy  

Hello!

I'm completely new here and I wanted to Puppy Linux today.
But I can't download it, yet, because I don't even know what to download.
The Puppy download sites are some of the most confusing sites I have ever seen.
Seems like they where made for chasing away all those interested.

1. Arrival at puppylinux.org
I see multiple links having the word 'download' in them. That's kind of unusual. I take the 'How to download Puppy Linux' link, because if they have special instrucstions on downloading PL, there might be a reason...

2. Opened 'How to download Puppy Linux'
The firste sentence on this page tells me, that 'Quirky Unicorn and Slacko Puppy 5.7 (Slackware-compatible) are in the latest release page.'

While assuming, that 'Quirky Unicorn' is the default, vanilla Puppy Linux, because it's written first, I wonder, why they had to take me on an extra page fpr telling me that.
As I'm new to Puppy Linux, I now know, that 'Quirky Unicorn' is what I want to have, because it seems to be the standard Puppy distribution.

3. Opened 'latest release page'
(3rd page on puppylinux.org, it's abotu time they show me the download I think..)
I'm searching the page fpr 'Quirky Unicorn', because No.2 made me think, that this was what I needed.
But:
There's nothing like 'Quirky Unicorn' on the whole page.
Then I think:
Maybe they forgot to refresh all those redundant download related pages, so possibly the latest release might be this one: 'Quirky Xerus'.

But:
Quirky Xerus is only there for Raspberry Pi, from the looks...

I search browsing through the remaining text..
I find a link fpr 'Slacko', but I don't know Slackware, and I want default Puppy..
I find a link to WindowsExe (for whatever version) but I don't have Windows.
I find a link for old versions, but I want the current one, as it was praised in the link that took me there!

Well.. it doesn't seem to be there.

Damn, this Puppy Linux has to be complicated, if I can't even figure how to download it!
Think I'll stay wih Xubuntu 16.10...

PS:
I noticed, that there are some typos in the post, after reading it in the forum.
But when I go to the editor, the font becomes so small, that I can hardly read my text there and my eyes start burning, so I can't fix this.
Sorry.
01101001b

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar 2017, 19:43    Post subject: Re: Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!
Subject description: Y not Puppy

CarlosTheHyena wrote:
847563 wrote:
Puppy is great and stable, but, IMO it still suffers a lot from old Dos type command strings which of course have to be syntactically correct to work. As a Windoze user this has largely been taken care of (which keeps their users dumb) but does usually achieve the end result. I don;t want to have to learn this stuff, just select from options and have it done.

Cheers,

I know exactly what you mean. And considering this thread is asking users for feedback and constructive criticism of puppy with a view to make Puppy more amenable to as many people as possible, it's really ironic that replies to your post are critical, unhelpful, sarcastic and rude. I've been there before.

But I agree, what we need a a new version of Puppy called NormalPuppy. For normal users who aren't interested in tinkering under the hood, but want something similar to Ubuntu. Kind of. eg installing program, you are right, why cant it be put in context menu right away with a message to that effect?

Guys, you're missing the point. There's NO way a small system (like Puppy for instance) can do EVERYTHING you want, your way, *without* YOU tinkering it (!)

You, and only you, know what you want, like you want. Nobody else.

"Simplicity" means different things for different people. Your only chance is to try different systems until you find one that suits you better (but never perfectly, because it's *impossible* UNLESS *you make it*, and that condition was ruled out from the beginning).

Ubuntu, Wind*ws... are really big because they try to do everything simpler for the users (failing spectacularly sometimes). And it's ok. But even in them, sooner o later, you'll need to tinker something yourself (or get someone to fix it for you).

Luckily for all of us, there's plenty of options to choose from. But what you are asking for, as I see it, it's an impossibility. "Small" and eventual "tinkering" go hand in hand, inevitably. Sad
01101001b

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar 2017, 19:58    Post subject:  Re: Problem with downloading Puppy  

RichieO wrote:
Damn, this Puppy Linux has to be complicated, if I can't even figure how to download it!
Think I'll stay wih Xubuntu 16.10.

Every derivative from Puppy is really good. It's almost a matter of personal taste which to use. I use LxPup 16.07 (Xenial Xerus based) because it works better *for me* than LxPupSc (Slackware based).

In fact, I prefer 16.07 than the most recent, 16.08.2 (Xenial). LxPupSc most recent version is 17.03.1

You can download them from here. Hope this helps Smile

PS: Or if you're willing to try Puppy Linux in its original flavor Wink you can find it here
Page 70 of 70 [1040 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 68, 69, 70
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: