Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 24 Apr 2018, 03:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 71 of 71 [1053 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71
Ananda98

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:32    Post subject: Re: Wary Where Are You?
Subject description: Talking about Wary Puppy.

fishmanluvslinux wrote:
I am wondering whatever happened to Wary Puppy? I was able to use it until 2015 then it just went caputz and the updates stopped. I have 2 machines that thrived on Wary and the newer ones are just not booting up and error out on them. These machines are good work horses for my needs,especially when I am traveling. I really love Puppy Linux it is just that I found a guide that sort is correct about which one to use so I just try them until one works. With only 8 Mb. of video memory it is hard to find one that will work since Wary's demise. Any suggestions with links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for all of your hard work and time.

In my opinion, try to use Slacko Puppy. I was running it on Pentium 4 machine, with 256 mb of RAM. But, it run slowly.

I think, you still can running the old version of Puppy today. Mine running Puppy 4.3.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 17:27    Post subject: Re: Wary Where Are You?
Subject description: Talking about Wary Puppy.

fishmanluvslinux wrote:
I am wondering whatever happened to Wary Puppy? I was able to use it until 2015 then it just went caputz and the updates stopped. I have 2 machines that thrived on Wary and the newer ones are just not booting up and error out on them. These machines are good work horses for my needs,especially when I am traveling. I really love Puppy Linux it is just that I found a guide that sort is correct about which one to use so I just try them until one works. With only 8 Mb. of video memory it is hard to find one that will work since Wary's demise. Any suggestions with links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for all of your hard work and time.

@ fishmanluvslinux:-

My old Dell lappie (which seems to be developing its own 'niche' personality on these forums (even its own 'fan' club!), due to the sheer amount of upgrading and personalizing it's received since I've been using Puppy, not to mention the number of 'guest appearances' it's put in since I joined these forums) also has a maximum of 8 MB 'shared' graphics memory. It was 'born' in 2002 with a 2.2 GHz Celeron and 128 MB RAM.....and a teensy 20 GB HDD. Nowadays it sports a 2.6 GHz 'proper' P4, 1.5 GB RAM, and a 64 GB SSD. Sadly, however, I'm stuck with those awful Intel graphics.

However....

The old girl currently triple-boots with Slacko 5.7.0, the 'updated' Lucid 5.2.8.7, and (this may surprise you) Xenialpup.....although this is the slightly older 'beta' version, 7.0.8.1. It'll never be particularly fast with that hardware; mikeslr will back me up that modern browsers are some of the most RAM- and hardware-intensive apps you'll run with your average PC. But; it does run....and does so surprisingly well. She'll even let me do undemanding video edits with Openshot.... Very Happy

So even a 2002 lappie with only 8 MB shared video RAM will run all kinds of Pups quite happily. You do need to be prepared to dive in and get your hands a bit grubby, but that (to me) is all part of the fun of using Pup.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 18:32; edited 3 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 18:03    Post subject:  

@spiritwild:-

spiritwild wrote:
As far as public forums go, you can't read emotion very well. that's a dicipline in itself. I will admit, there are a few that can be taken wrong by how they convey there message. Except Mike walsh and musher0. I'm mostly an observer and learner but those two stand out as the most friendly people I've ever....read. LOL. Semme, if he is still around., has my respect for sheer wealth of knowledge packaged in a seemingly first glance textual arrogance.

Huh! While I've never thought of myself as any kind of a teacher, musher0 and myself, you'll find, that's just how we are.

Most of my own teachers were distinctly average , as far as imparting information went. One, however (a maths teacher, as I recall), went out of his way to help me understand long multiplication and division, and re-kindled an interest in maths which at this point was rapidly disappearing..!

The kind of teacher who made the subject interesting, easy-to-understand, and made you want to learn more. That's a rare gift.

Since I've passed from the realms of 'newbiehood'(!) to passing on info and instruction in my own turn, I suppose I've based my own 'delivery' on that teacher. I enjoy using Puppy myself; I want to pass on that obvious 'enjoyment' to others, I guess.

It's infectious!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Semme, BTW, is certainly still around. Currently, he's passing himself off as 'matchpoint'.

Pelo's pretending to be 'hamadoudou'.

Don't know WHAT'S going on with them two..!)
Rolling Eyes

Mike. Wink

Page 71 of 71 [1053 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 69, 70, 71
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: