Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
deadvirgo

Mint

#811 Post by deadvirgo »

So after getting extremely drunk last night, I decided to just go back to square one and install Mint instead of Puppy. I can actually do things now, and hopefully after I familiarize myself some more with Linux I can give puppy another shot. It's not something that you can just jump into without any prior knowledge, or at least I hope it isn't, because if it is I am an idiot.

cthisbear

#812 Post by cthisbear »

" because if it is I am an idiot. "

Normally I am tempted to put in the boot.

Puppy is just dead easy...with the right assistance.

You didn't need to install.
A cd or usb would have been easy.
As stated you ran from usb...should have left it there.

" because someone on google said that was the one for puppy "
This forum would have given you great advice.

I always advocate....keep Windows...enjoy Puppy.

I hope you got your data.
" so I decided to try and rescue some files, wipe the hdd, "

I would have pointed to my post here.
Hirens is good for recovery as well.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 950656&p=2

Chris.

TheYoungOne

#813 Post by TheYoungOne »

Overall i really like puppy. I'm using lucid 528. i like how it doesn't take itself too seriously like many others.

also you are all very helpful on here and thanks for that.

i hope to play with puppy for a long time.

Miek

#814 Post by Miek »

Hi all. I've recently found out about puppy and I love it. I've tried Lucid Puppy first because I mostly use *ubuntu and crunchbang, but I ended up using Slacko because it looks better and I wouldn't mind compiling stuff if I have to (I apologize btw if i'm wrong, but it think that *ubuntu and debian in general maintain more pre-compiled packages than slackware). I do a lot of python programming, some C and less assembler.

The general way it works seems to be absolutely perfect for a USB thumb drive, much better than a *ubuntu live cd or crunchbang which never worked on this usb anyways. I love how it's run as root, which makes so much sense for a usb distro, and how everything opens up quickly because it's already been loaded into RAM.

I'm a bit surprised though that vim and sshfs aren't included by defaut (correct me if I'm wrong). I would except any distro big enough to include x (or any graphical interface) to ship with vim/screen/nano/sshfs and utilities such as these. Should I be using alternate cli tools or should i try to find PET packages or compile them from source?

Oh and I can't wait to get my Raspberry Pi and start playing with it :D

kewlsnake

#815 Post by kewlsnake »

Puppy linux main site needs a complete overhaul and it needed one years ago. Start it from scratch.

In short, there's too much crap on the screen, needs more focus. You know it's bad when you have to resort to google to find stuff that's actually explained on the site itself.

Get a nice big fat download button to slacko puppy on the front page. Don't link to lucid puppy, don't link to puppy 4.3.1, just slacko puppy.

Don't make people choose between vanilla and chocolate before they even tasted ice cream.

I personally would plug the hell out of the multi session live dvd install option above anything else just because it's so goddamn cool. Something like:

1.Burn ISO for a normal live cd, boot up puppy for the first time, let people tinker around with it
2. Recommend using burn2isocd to make a multi live session dvd, let people rage because there is no "burn current release to dvd" option(seriously fix that, add that option and let it automatically download an iso if you need to).

The first time startup/booting of puppy linux is still as smooth as baby buttocks, just like I remember it. The first time use puppy splash screen is great.

I think the connect application could use some streamling though, too much buttons. I think a granny is able to click through almost anything on the first startup without any real problems besides that one. Could be much more straight forward with a different UI, I think.

Dewbie

#816 Post by Dewbie »

kewlsnake wrote:
Get a nice big fat download button to slacko puppy on the front page. Don't link to lucid puppy, don't link to puppy 4.3.1, just slacko puppy.

Don't make people choose between vanilla and chocolate before they even tasted ice cream.

Sounds good in theory.
However, different builds of Puppy are needed to accommodate different hardware.

kewlsnake

#817 Post by kewlsnake »

Surely you don't need 5-6 different official ones?

On wikipedia, lucid puppy is a side mention and quirky,wary and racy are put forward as the official variants.

On the official site, "Download Latest Release", "How to download Puppy Linux", "Long-Term-Supported WaryPuppy" all link to different releases besides the quirky one. That's also ignoring the existence of puplets.

I think you can see how extremely confusing this must be for someone that just wants to try it out.

Ask yourself the question, if you had to pick one, which one would you recommend for the general public?
Delegate all the other ones to the background, maybe a special mention for "Are you using older hardware? Check out this release!".

daniell61

my opinion/add ons to this

#818 Post by daniell61 »

i have only recently started using puppy linux(4.21 i cant get it to update to 5.3 <_< )
and personally(and alot of people i know agree) i think JAVA should be added in as a PET so we dont have to spend hours searching for it and puppy should also have a type of theme that looks like windows xp for newer users :) so people like my parents can use puppy easy like me :D

(were the heck do i get java :?: )

"I WILL BECOME MLG" 8)

daniell61

add to my original comment!

#819 Post by daniell61 »

a update button/PET should be added to all puppy linux distro's so that we dont have to go through a ton of CD-R's (my cd burner is fried so i cant make .iso images to easy :evil:

cthisbear

#820 Post by cthisbear »

Good for searches of Puppy.

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

::::

" This is how I install Java.
This is how I do it in macpup. Should work in other pups too..."

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 8&start=45

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 02267b62c0

::::::

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77821

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 000a7833c8

"""""

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371

UPDATED to versions 1.6u33 and 1.7u5.

::::::::

So Java is no problem.

Our downloads are minimal compared to the other Linux bloat.
Updates for some Puppies....called >> deltas

have only happened in the last few years.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58435

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52232

Chris.

liro

#821 Post by liro »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but... having an un-updatable version of SeaMonkey as the default browser in the latest official version of Puppy seems a really bad idea to me. Any newbies connecting to the internet for the first time are going to be instantly put off Puppy by the warning message that appears when opening the browser, only to find they have no way of updating the software (unless they find the relevant thread in this forum on how to do it). Having an updateable version of Firefox, Opera or Chrome as the default browser would be a much better idea IMO.

dk60902

#822 Post by dk60902 »

I'm not sure why Seamonkey 2.9.1 on Slacko 5.3.3 does not allow updating when clicking help - about. I think that once I upgraded to 2.11, I could go to help, and there was a selection to check for updates. It wasn't difficult to upgrade from 2.9.1 to 2.11, but for a new Puppy or linux user, I agree that there should be an easier way to do so.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

bob-ca

First Time Unix user - 5.3.3 is cool

#823 Post by bob-ca »

Wow, I loved my first 5.3.3 experience! It worked great on an old machine. Thought the hard drive was dead, so made a 5.3.3 boot CD. Unplugged the hard-drive and went to town. Connected to Ethernet, then xchat. Puppy chat was the bomb! Got some great help from Nilsonmorales, Brown_ Mouse and TLC. Didn't bother with seamonkey, went right for Chrome 19 install, cruised around. I also went to and used imagebin.org for the first time - very cool.

Then created an updated Boot CD that saved my current session as a clean, full-up boot (ie, wire and wireless info, Xchat and Chrome 19 baseline, including bookmarks). Then I created a USB boot. Love the small size, fast response. Was very impressed that I was able to play ripped movie using only 20% cpu, ram not over 89Meg! My P4 3ghz usually can't keep up when running windows, CPU is over 90% utilization during a movie, with frequent sound and screen hick-ups. I could become a lover of the Puppy! Going to boot on friends old laptop tomorrow.

Downside ... after talking to a few folks today, don't think Adobe is going to create a Flash update for Chrome. Have to have flash, html solution will take to long for everyone on the net to get there (tech guy broadcast and to a lesser degree, youtube). Maybe I'll try another browser.?

darkcity

#824 Post by darkcity »

welcome to the kennels 8)

Adobe has dropped support of Flash on Linux after version 11.2.
It will continue to provide security fixes for 11.2 on Linux.

There are open alternatives being developed such as Gnash http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Gnash and Lightspark

Dewbie

#825 Post by Dewbie »

bob-ca wrote:
Downside ... after talking to a few folks today, don't think Adobe is going to create a Flash update for Chrome.
From what I understand, Chrome will use (or is currently using) a Flash substitute called "Pepper."

Louis Lavery

#826 Post by Louis Lavery »

I've just started using puppy and think it's great. Only downside so far is SeaMonkey (1.1.18), I'm really going to have to upgrade, but that's a two stage process from what I've read. It would have been better if I didn't have to do this upgrade, especially as I'm just starting to learn about linux. I'm using puppy 4.3.1, as that's what I thought I was supposed to do. Perhaps I should have started with some other version, I mean so as to get a better version of SeaMonkey?
But that's the only complaint I've got, I really like the system especially being able to boot from a CD, so thanks to the guys who made this possible.
Regards, Louis.

cthisbear

#827 Post by cthisbear »

Louis Lavery"

Welcome to Puppy mate.

Post your hardware specs.
If it is old and low spec there are other versions of Puppy 4.31

""

Official 4.3.2

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54082

Last page...James C

" Still using a full install of 432 v3 for my backup os....
still as solid as when I installed way back when it was released.

Not flashy but it just keeps on working. :)
No problem keeping the browsers updated....
Firefox 9.0.1, SeaMonkey 2.6.1 and Opera 11.60.

Chris.

James C

#828 Post by James C »

cthisbear wrote:Louis Lavery"

Welcome to Puppy mate.

Post your hardware specs.
If it is old and low spec there are other versions of Puppy 4.31

""

Official 4.3.2

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54082

Last page...James C

" Still using a full install of 432 v3 for my backup os....
still as solid as when I installed way back when it was released.

Not flashy but it just keeps on working. :)
No problem keeping the browsers updated....
Firefox 9.0.1, SeaMonkey 2.6.1 and Opera 11.60.

Chris.
For what it's worth, I'm still running it with no problems and with Firefox 15,SeaMonkey 2.12 and Opera 12 ....it just keeps on working. :)

Dewbie

#829 Post by Dewbie »

Louis Lavery wrote:
I've just started using puppy and think it's great. Only downside so far is SeaMonkey 1.1.18, I'm really going to have to upgrade, but that's a two stage process from what I've read.
You have a couple more options, too...courtesy of shinobar:
1. Update SeaMonkey. (An SFS, so it won't eat up your save file.)
2. Update to 431JP, 2012 edition.

Edit:
Active link for Official 4.3.2 is here:
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy_isos.html
Last edited by Dewbie on Tue 18 Sep 2012, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Louis Lavery

#830 Post by Louis Lavery »

Thanks for the quick replies. Between you I think you've given me enough info to keep me busy for a while, it's also given me confidence to do a little experimenting with the systems, thanks. Although I like to keep it simple (KISS as they say in my trade, I write in C++).

@cthisbear: I've a Dell Latitude x300 (love the machine). Not sure what specs you want but have got this off "System Information".

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz
Memory 634468 kB
-Display- Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
-SCSI Disks-
ATA HTS548040M9AT00
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324S

I've actually got 2.5 x300s (the 0.5 is a busted machine used for spares) and intend trying things out. I need to run Windows xp/7 as that's what my software (that I write for to earn dosh) runs on most of the time. At present I use one machine for work, I boot to puppy from cd or to windows from hd.
I'll use the second machine for experiments, but always with the intention of keeping the system snug. So if you've any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks, Louis.