Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 01:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 63 of 63 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63
SickXXenD

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun 2014, 03:26    Post_subject: Puppy better???  

Well I think the only way puppy will be better is if anyone can PLEASE help me figure out how to install it on on my droid RAZR Maxx HD and or dual boot it with the current droid jellybean OS then make an app to help other people do it and throw it on the app market for free to increase puppy's user base!!! The more of us out here using puppy the better! : ) Puppy on my droid with network capability would make my millennia! [/img]
images.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   10.82 KB
 Viewed   360 Time(s)

images.jpg

starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:26    Post_subject:  

Sorry, Puppy on phones is a long way away. There seems to be a lot of demand, but the effort to implement such a thing is astronomical at best.

Every make/model of phone has at least slightly different hardware. Each piece of hardware needs a driver for Puppy to use it, like any other OS. Puppy is built primarily for older-but-not-yet-truly-antique computers. It doesn't have phone drivers built in.

Further, phones are kind of a closed ecosystem AFAIK, which means that drivers don't really exist outside of what's provided on the phone when you buy it, unless and until the manufacturer releases an upgrade. On top of that, those drivers are useless to Puppy because IIRC Android drivers don't work in more ordinary Linuces. (Saying "Linuxes" is somewhat grammatically incorrect, because Latin, BTW. Not that I'm being anything but a Grammar Nazi by saying that!)

Remember that Android is Linux-by-technicality. It's a Linux kernel and a Java interpreter, at its core, and absolutely everything else is built (in Java) on top of that. Yeah, it has the kernel, but that's really the only actual Linux in it. It's really a whole different creature at that point, which is why Android drivers and Linux drivers are incompatible.

*ahem*

So in order to get your phone running Puppy, someone would have to write drivers for absolutely every piece of hardware on that phone. Puppy has limited support for ARM-type CPUs (technically SoC's, or "Systems on Chip, but I'm not getting into that here), one of which is in your phone (specifically it's a Qualcomm SnapDragon S4 @ 1.5GHz -- thank you, Mr Google) via FatDogARM which has just recently entered Beta stage. I can tell you offhand that your processor is not supported at this time.

However, Puppy is a sort of a Do-ocracy. This can potentially work out quite well for you. If you are a software engineer with lots and lots of experience doing programming for PCs and smartphones both, and you know how to write drivers (which is, I'm told, highly challenging), then you have a chance here. For the record, nobody on this forum AFAIK has the knowledge and experience to do this for you.

There are three ways to accomplish this...

(1) Get the Android drivers (probably in "binary blob" form) and decompile them back to some form of human-readable code. (You almost certainly will not get open source drivers, even for Android.) Then develop your own Linux drivers that function identically (or nearly so), having picked a kernel to build against, so that they are compatible with Puppy (I will recommend building against FatDogARM so that you're not totally reinventing the wheel). Once you have drivers, you'll have to write interface programs so that Puppy can use the drivers. Once you have working drivers and working interface programs, you have the ability to properly Puppify your phone.

(2) The other DIY option, if you don't want to mess with porting drivers, or if the binary blob decompiling doesn't work out so well, is to get another Droid RAZR Maxx HD and take it apart. Get datasheets for each and every bit of hardware, and reverse-engineer how it all works. *Then* write your drivers. Speaking from a legal perspective, this is probably actually the better way of the two so far -- code can be (and rarely /isn't/) copyrighted, and if the license agreement given with the drivers indicates no reverse-engineering, then Option #1 just flew the coop.

(3) There is a truly infinitesimal chance that you can convince the company making your phone to develop and release drivers for real Linux. If they will listen to you at all, they'll probably ask you to fund it. This will not be cheap, so I hope you're quite well off if you want to do this.

...good luck...

Deimos

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul 2014, 22:56    Post_subject: Re: Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!
Sub_title: Your feedback is important (but don't post technical queries here - use a new thread).

Hello Everybody,

Thought it was about time to actually post something. I really like puppy linux. At the current time 'm using precise 5.7.1. I have dabbled around linux since the days of Red Hat 6 and Mandrake 7. And while I'm no power user I get around pretty good.

I really liked the website it was helpful on getting puppy installed. I learned a long time ago what rtfm is and why it is important. I've been running puppy now for about a year and have tried a number of different pups.

I really don't have anything bad to say about puppy linux. It's one of the best if not THE best linux distro's that I have used. Guess that's about all I have to say except, Keep up the great work Puppy is an AWESOME linux distro.

Puppy Precise 5.7.1, Toshiba Satellite T135D, 2x AMD Turion Neo X2 Dual Core 4 Gig Ram AMD RS780 Video
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug 2014, 07:45    Post_subject: The main problem is english.
Sub_title: Speaking our native language on the forum...

Lot of people will not try Puppy (or Linux) because everything is english written or spoken. newbie means from outside Linux, in my opinion and outside development.
That is the reason why non native English spoken people don't try or stay in Linux.
One way to improve would be that people talk their native language on the forum,
I know that American and British are so eased by the English rule, that they will never admit my proposal.
I am quite sure there are so many non-English users as English ones. A spanish talks to a spanish in english.
Be aware of that, even with Google translation, our thoughts are far from what we say, because lack of vocabulary.
It would be exactly the same when you choose where to go on holidays.
Just to underline this huge problem. Not for you, but for my family. I used to speak English when working (aircraft) but i am an exception.

dogle

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug 2014, 17:10    Post_subject:  

.... catching up ...

... starhawk, star post! ... quite brilliant, and so helpful to me and I think a great many others.

... pelo, you make a very important point on the language issue (I think?) but, heck, you've been around here long enough to know that worldwide there exist several Puppy communities using languages not represented on this forum, and even here we have had French and German speaking sections for many years. As starhawk has reminded us, Puppy is a do-ocracy ... so if you feel so strongly, why not go for it and kick off a Spanish section on this forum? Spanish is surely becoming a very important language computer-wise in terms of population numbers and increasing uptake of the technology.
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug 2014, 01:28    Post_subject:  

...but we've more or less had a Spanish section...
wimpy

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug 2014, 09:26    Post_subject: Re: The main problem is english.
Sub_title: Speaking our native language on the forum...

Pelo wrote:
A spanish talks to a spanish in english.

Of course, if one speaks Euskera and the other Catalán - one of the greatest Spanish copla singers, Conchita Piquer, learned to speak English before she learned Spanish (castellano), because her first language was Valencian. Smile
It is a matter of some regret that this English language (only historically associated with the English nation) is not now called something else, say Shingle. It could then be considered a universal language like Esperanto. It is at the moment possibly the most widely known language, counting not only native speakers but those who have it as a second language (wiki has it at 2130M, Mandarin next at 1026M with Spanish at 528M).
As a frequent contributor to the Spanish language section you are no doubt aware of that section's existence. Is there something else that can be done to help non-English speakers take up puppy?

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 63 of 63 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum