Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
Burn_IT

#946 Post by Burn_IT »

Look up Android Puppy (not the advert one)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

fuelish

#947 Post by fuelish »

Burn_IT wrote:Look up Android Puppy (not the advert one)
If puppy does run on android I can look forward to people t-boning me while they edit sys files in geany. :(

Burn_IT

#948 Post by Burn_IT »

I have a Kobo Book reader and I'm looking to run Linux/Puppy on that.
I believe it uses Android.

fuelish

#949 Post by fuelish »

Burn_IT wrote:I have a Kobo Book reader and I'm looking to run Linux/Puppy on that.
I believe it uses Android.
What would be the benefit?

Maybe I'll learn something from your reasoning.

Burn_IT

#950 Post by Burn_IT »

It is limited to reading books, web access, and either Chess or Sudoku

There a loads of other Linux Stuff that it could run on it. It has 256Mb of memory, backed by an easily updated MicroSD 2Gb internal card which holds the ROM? and user storage and up to 32Gb external MicroSD for extended user storage.
It has built in Wifi and a Micro USB adapter.
The screen is 800x600 E Ink touch sensitive

There is terrific potential there that is not being exploited.

fuelish

#951 Post by fuelish »

Burn_IT wrote:It is limited to reading books, web access, and either Chess or Sudoku

There a loads of other Linux Stuff that it could run on it. It has 256Mb of memory, backed by an easily updated MicroSD 2Gb internal card which holds the ROM? and user storage and up to 32Gb external MicroSD for extended user storage.
It has built in Wifi and a Micro USB adapter.
The screen is 800x600 E Ink touch sensitive

There is terrific potential there that is not being exploited.
Impressive specs for an e-reader. Almost seems like overkill.

My Kindle is useful as an e-reader. Navigating with the web browser is hopelessly slow, no keypad. I never registered it at amazon. I don’t trust them.

When traveling I use my phone for internet access. It’ll do in a pinch. The laptop is far superior, if I have it with me.

The idea of using puppy on anything other than a real computer just doesn’t appeal me.

Burn_IT

#952 Post by Burn_IT »

I only use it at night in bed for reading and the odd game at the moment.
I really wanted to extend the game range as I like crossword puzzles as well.
Having the web access at a touch is very nice for reference whilst reading, though the built in dictionary is Websters so is not bad.

The touch Keyboard can be a bit of a pain though.

pcpunk

#953 Post by pcpunk »

Not sure if this is the right place for this? Not super organized here, no offense. I recently booted up my old fatdog and could not use the web browsers for some very important tools, screenshots and youtube to be exact. So I could not post my issues and could not view vids. that might have helped me. I also did not understand the file system well enough to install the newer versions of these browsers. I feel there should be a Sticky for this, or something somewhere like maybe in the Manual that points out how to do this. Simple stuff but for the noob, it is not.

Newbie33

My Take on my puppy usage.

#954 Post by Newbie33 »

What will make puppy better?

OK, a small app that will enable me to encrypt external hard drives and USB drives.

For example, if I have a large file and I wish to save it to my encrypted puppy save file it will take up a lot of RAM when I reload.

If I download a large DVD and save it in my documents.
My save file expands over 4gb.
thats cool, but what happens when i next plug my USB stick into my friends computer if he only has 2gb of RAM? it will crash.

so, What if I stored the large file (encrypted) on the base of the USB stick?
I can load the OS and still play the file.
Simples.

My next "wish" for puppy is to have a non-complicated way of installing python.
I'm not a prgrammer and I often have to install some dependancies before I can use most consumer apps like skype and others.

sometimes if I'm dowloading somehing from the package manager the program tells me I am missing some dpeendancies, but it does not give me the option to download them.

I then try to download them manually, which sometimes works, but most often I cannot find a version which will make my app work.

I often favour X preicse as I like the way .rar and zip files can be "extracted here". I for some reason had problems with this in the normal precise puppy version.

I noticed tails gves you an option to enable a mac-changer prgram. I would love this option in puppy also. sometimes when I'm downloading from my university i have "benefits" when i'm not using my own mac address.

I would love torchat to work out of the box, but this is not essential if it can be downloaded as a pet or from the package manager,

The difference betwen Windows users who are migrating (in mass numbers) from XP to linux, are that they are consumers and NOT programmers.

Linux itself is quite complicated to use in many respects and this is the main reason why the windows OS became so popular in the first place.

Addressing a more simple approach to the actually usage of puppy linux, (and indeed all linux distros) will always be a selling point - or in this case increase puppy's popularlity.

I personally think the puppy versions should be organised a little better. although I accept this will not be easy due to the shear number of versions.

The problem is so many versions are impossible to choose from.

Most consumers will look for something that does everything XP did, and with the least amount of install size.

for example, I use X Precise as my pup. I chose this as it works well and the GUI allows me to extract rar files easily.
I also found that precise puppy will sometimes install .deb files, which is usefull if i'm looking for a program that doesn't have puppy support.
Especally if I cannot find a .pet file or SFS.

and since I had problems finding pets for the slack and wary puppy, I chose X precise. yet.. to this day, I have no idea what the difference is between wary racy, slako, or precise. I just use precise as it suits my consumer needs better.

the main programs people will want to use (from XP) are...

TORchat
WIne
full disk encryption, for usb and external hdds.
eveything else can be fund in puppy.

However I often have problems with sound in skype. in fact I have no sound. I think this is becase puppy uses alsa mixer and skype requires something else.

I noticed Tails is a really good OS, but it's big. far bigger thn puppy. IS there a version of puppy that is suited to encrytped messaging and disk encrytpion. (anti NSA blocking is becoming a priority for many people these days).

can't think of anything more to add now, but you heard it from the horses mouth!

keyboard

Why I stick with puppy ?

#955 Post by keyboard »

Well..... I have been using puppy for quite a while now , although I am new to the forum. I started using it 4 to 5 years ago. it was just for writting books and navigating internet as I was very cautious of my privacy and normally in those good old days any room mate /classmates/batchmate or other used my laptop or desktop. so I used it to keep my programming, writting and other private documents seperate in puppy linux flash drive (protected it with password) which they couldn't access and hinder them,

To be honest I didn't knew much on let alone linux but it served my purpose and it was small lightweight which I could take it around anywhere. Afterwards I guess I unknowingly started using slackopuppy , i didn't knew much difference of the different distros it looked new so I downloaded it. The site was pretty confusing to see what I had to download.

Then , i started using it regualry as well it was more convinent and fast at most of the systems.

Later on, I discovered that there are many distros of puppy linux , and was more community driven which I was wishing it for so long.

Now, I am using it because it the only thing which runs on my old netbook.
To me it gives better service than what came preinstalled with it , windows 7 starter. I hopped on different disto of puppy linux , to find which one does suits my netbook best, while i like prescise puppy and recently released tharpup , I liked lighthousepup the best as it was a full os and it didn't felt like it was kind of bit striped down. Rather it was much more that the windows 7 started had provided.

But for a long time Lighthousepup wasn't releasing anything new,and especially for my 32 bit system so I moved back to slacko puppy. It's recent release works great, but as I guess it is with slackware I guess there arn't many new softwares in in it package manager.Although it is pretty stable with it no PAE version. Running apps as spot it working great as well in this version. I was pretty cautious while using linux on the internet as root before, so before I mostly used it for offline activities.
Running everything on root while offline and the restriction of single user was pretty convinient. I don't care much about the graphics in os. I care for what is it's utility to me. I like it's sfs packages more than it's pet packages as these sfs packages works with puppy without much hassel and saves my precious space on my pendrive. Pet packages on the other hand , if it comes from the official puppy package manager, it takes up a lot of space in my personal save file plus there are also some other issues like i always switch computers often, so I maintain 2 or 3 personal save files which are adjusted to load only those sfs which are needed for that work.But while keeping different personal save files I have to install same packages in different save files which is quite annoying as, I have mostly dialup connection and I get a fast internet only when I use one of the computers of the university. Also installing pet packages overheats my small netbook so normally use sfs packages. By now I use computers for web development. I am used to working in LAMP, puppy linux introduced me to hiawatha server. Although I installed LHMP it doesn't seem to work properly so, I am using a third party server for developments for now.

I am pretty new to this and I am learing how to convert pet packages to sfs and compiling softwares from source, or compiling my own kernel as one of the major drawback of puppy linux i think is the lack of sfs packages in the community. and that some sfs packages onlly contain one or two software and are not providing it in bulk. maximum sfs I guess one could add would be 7 probably , (i had read it somewhere , don't remember it exactly) so it pretty logical comeup with sfs packages with bulk of softwares , such as like internet sfs should contain a couple of browsers and and chat softwares. LHMP shoud be sfs as well as it is very large package, eats up most of your personal space. I recenlty also tried this attackpup which was a dervative of lighthouse pup but well... it never booted from the cd. i guess it had some faulty intrd.gz files or didn't had the drivers for my hardware. I mean it rather better just to make a sfs package with most of backtrack/kali os tools which could be compatible in slackopuppy and lighthouse pup isn't it ?

Yan

Linux unusable for non geeks!

#956 Post by Yan »

I had a few serious tries with Linux, but there were always things not working.
May it be Synaptic Package Manager, Update Manager, dimming brightness or ceaseless crashes, insufficient manuals, updating, etc..
No wonder a vast majority is using Win. Getting things done with Linux...no!
Endless tinkering around...yes!
Never install Linux on your HDD, try it from a stick. Otherwise you encounter problems to delete it. Had it as dual-boot, but nobody could explain how to delete it, that I could only do after lengthy research outside of the forums!

Newbie33

Reply to YAn

#957 Post by Newbie33 »

Hi Yan, did you try killdisk program like dban or something to wipie the hard drive. or where you trying the keep the windows installation?

As for anybody else, does anyone know how to encrypt a USB storage drive?
It seems there are no app or pets for this?

Thsi is related to large files also which are unsuitable for the puppysave.sfs file.
Thanks

Yan

#958 Post by Yan »

No, I had to keep Win, because it is a ridiculous, tiny netbook without optical drive. I have no installation disk, too.
You can encrypt your flashdrive with Diskcryptor, simple, but you cannot use it with Linux. Take Truecrypt, more difficult, but definitely doable. It runs on Win and Linux! With T. you can even encrypt just folders, or, better, creating a container, where you save your stuff.

KennyFields

#959 Post by KennyFields »

I'm a person with a great computer upgrade program. I wait until somebody throws away a computer that is better than mine and I do what I can with it. Recently I was given a junk Emachine laptop (2.8 ghz, 256 MB ram 30 GB HDD). It had Win XP sp3 on it. I wanted Linux on it but the opotical drive was missing. I had a few that fit, but none worked. I finally decided the channel (IDE?) was bad. I tried to boot a live version from jump drive, but the distro never came in the list at bootup. I plugged in an externel CD RW and was not expecting any better results, but it would try to boot. I tried Slax 7 and other light distros, but no boot. I remembered a former coworker crowing about Puppy Linux, so I gave it a try. It booted up and ran great! Of course there was some lag time so I decided to go native. I installed Puppy 4.3.1 first. It installed with Grub2 so I kept winxp and dual booted. When I found 5.7 Slacko I had to try it. It installed without a hitch, but when I tried to boot 4.3.1 again, all went south. No biggie, I just reloaded Windoze to recover the boot sector, then reloaded Slacko. Everything is lovely. I would like to try other Puppy versions though. Is there some VooDoo I should do to prevent screwing everything up...again?

RetroTechGuy

Re: newbie

#960 Post by RetroTechGuy »

KennyFields wrote:I'm a person with a great computer upgrade program. I wait until somebody throws away a computer that is better than mine and I do what I can with it. Recently I was given a junk Emachine laptop (2.8 ghz, 256 MB ram 30 GB HDD).
A good candidate, other than I like to see more RAM...
It had Win XP sp3 on it.
You can leave the XP, and use "Lin'N'Win" to hook into the existing boot loader.
I installed Puppy 4.3.1 first.
I liked 4.31, but found the 5.28 family seem to be lighter hardware/memory load. In fact, I installed LupuMini on my old P2 333MHz, with 256 MB RAM.

My report here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 540#827540

You can go back to the first page of the link above, to see the latest versions.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

roumain

#961 Post by roumain »

Hi,
some feedback on puptahr 6.0, being new to linux.
1st it works from scratch and connect fine to wifi which is amazing.
but : palemoon as default browser would not work !
I had to kill the process so the window will open...
so no browser on default which is very frustrating.
the other negative point is that there is no man in the shell, and not easy way to reinstall it. Using a shell window is part of the linux experience I think, and so is the man.
it there was an inline man package, I'll probably download it.
other than that, puppy works great and is I think a very good distro for newbies :
It just works.
Roumain.

starhawk

#962 Post by starhawk »

If you want help with PaleMoon, please start a new topic with your system specs and all, so that we have the info we need to help you...

There is a well-named thread in this section which lists exactly what we need :)

666philb

#963 Post by 666philb »

palemoon doesn't work on some older cpu's

for the devx .... when the browser page opens it's in the tahrpup -6.0-CE/ folder
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

roumain

#964 Post by roumain »

Hi,
Don't need help on palemoon. Just feedbacking on the fact that my puppy linux first try went very smoothly, apart from the default browser... I quickly learned how to set up another default browser.
Yes, i'll use other threads for technical issues.
thanks.

TaG

sorry

#965 Post by TaG »

deleted
Last edited by TaG on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.