Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
roumain

#961 Post by roumain »

Hi,
some feedback on puptahr 6.0, being new to linux.
1st it works from scratch and connect fine to wifi which is amazing.
but : palemoon as default browser would not work !
I had to kill the process so the window will open...
so no browser on default which is very frustrating.
the other negative point is that there is no man in the shell, and not easy way to reinstall it. Using a shell window is part of the linux experience I think, and so is the man.
it there was an inline man package, I'll probably download it.
other than that, puppy works great and is I think a very good distro for newbies :
It just works.
Roumain.

starhawk

#962 Post by starhawk »

If you want help with PaleMoon, please start a new topic with your system specs and all, so that we have the info we need to help you...

There is a well-named thread in this section which lists exactly what we need :)

666philb

#963 Post by 666philb »

palemoon doesn't work on some older cpu's

for the devx .... when the browser page opens it's in the tahrpup -6.0-CE/ folder
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

roumain

#964 Post by roumain »

Hi,
Don't need help on palemoon. Just feedbacking on the fact that my puppy linux first try went very smoothly, apart from the default browser... I quickly learned how to set up another default browser.
Yes, i'll use other threads for technical issues.
thanks.

TaG

sorry

#965 Post by TaG »

deleted
Last edited by TaG on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

TaG

sorry

#966 Post by TaG »

I'll fix it somehow, cheers
Last edited by TaG on Thu 09 Apr 2015, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#967 Post by starhawk »

TaG, please make a new thread for your issue. We will need your hardware specs and your version of Puppy. I would also request that you use (as best you can) proper paragraph breaks, as the lump of text that is your first post just about burnt my eyes out.

MisterJ

New to Puppy and reading this forum

#968 Post by MisterJ »

Found this group through DistroWatch. I've read about 3 pages of 65, so this may already be covered, but I'm also saying hello.

Background:
New to Puppy, dabbled in Ubuntu and Mint (never liked them enough to replace what is already functioning well through WinX, Network+ and Novell 5.0 certified (old and not-so-current geek), started on a Vic 20.
Used to reading blueprints and building code, so I know how to dig for answers using print media.

Intened hardware install: USB boot on a Panasonic toughbook, with what I think is a bad hard drive.

Things I would like to see:
A matrix that would tell you what versions bring in what functionality, i.e., recommended processor speed or RAM for holding the program and sub-programs, USB Flash support, video drivers, wireless card compatibility etc FOR a basic, bare-bones install.
Then a list of ways to customize your basic install after. Then we noobs could get up and running (lay the foundation, then start building the rest) and build a knowledge base as we build the system, but get the basics out of the way as painlessly as possible--or at least make the info really easy to find (like top of the page).
Perhaps what I really want is an index or indices.
Maybe I'll go use metacrawler to check if this exists already.

way12go

The BEST: Sparkylinux Debian testing puppy

#969 Post by way12go »

The BEST: Sparkylinux Debian testing puppy

I think a Puppylinux based on Sparkylinux would be the best puppylinux.

I consider

First best: Sparkylinux and OpenSUSE

Second best: DebianDog - Jessie (Puppylinux)

Third best: Porteus Mate, SliTaz, Tiny Core Linux
Heaven is positive thinking.

corvus

Personal experiences with Puppy Linux

#970 Post by corvus »

Hi Puppylovers, I joined this forum a few days ago but I frequent it for years since my first distribution of Puppy was the 4.3.1.
I installed puppy on different machines over the years and honestly, although I'm a simple user, I never had any big problem which I can not say of other Linux distributions, even the most popular's.
My biggest question has always been "on different computer which puppy must I install" given the wide choice available, but with the experience gained over the years and reading reading reading (man pages, on forums, googling, etc..) for everything there is a solution or almost.
Since I'm not anglophone I Apologise for my bad English. :oops:
Thanks
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Burn_IT

#971 Post by Burn_IT »

Your English is better than many native's

I always try to use the latest since the whole concept of Puppy is that it work on just about any machine.

Of the older versions, you should try to use one that is kept up to date with security patches and I believe 4.31 is one of those.
I personally like the Lucid based ones.
Last edited by Burn_IT on Wed 17 Jun 2015, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Burn_IT

#972 Post by Burn_IT »

Your English is better than many native's

I always try to use the latest since the whole concept of Puppy is that it work on just about any machine.

Of the older versions, you should try to use one that is kept up to date with security patches and I believe 4.31 is one of those.
I personally like the Lucid based ones.

corvus

which puppy on which PC

#973 Post by corvus »

Thanks Burn_IT for your encouragement.

you say :
based on my experience, the choice of which puppy to install depends greatly from the hardware of the PC.

Regards. :)
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

RetroTechGuy

Re: Personal experiences with Puppy Linux

#974 Post by RetroTechGuy »

corvus wrote:Hi Puppylovers, I joined this forum a few days ago but I frequent it for years since my first distribution of Puppy was the 4.3.1.
I installed puppy on different machines over the years and honestly, although I'm a simple user, I never had any big problem which I can not say of other Linux distributions, even the most popular's.
My biggest question has always been "on different computer which puppy must I install" given the wide choice available, but with the experience gained over the years and reading reading reading (man pages, on forums, googling, etc..) for everything there is a solution or almost.
Since I'm not anglophone I Apologise for my bad English. :oops:
Thanks
I'm still running Lucid family. Rerwin (and others?) has updated it, and continues support it.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

I've installed lupusuper1 on a number of machines, and put lupumini on my old 333MHz (Win98) laptop -- 256MB RAM.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

JoshuaXD

#975 Post by JoshuaXD »

I've dabbled in linux, mostly in friendly lightweight distros (lubuntu & mint). I will definitely keep a usb drive with Puppy on it for emergencies, but I don't know if I'd use it when other options were readily available. I'm currently running tahrpup version 6.0.2. I needed something that could run off a 1gb usb drive, when my hard drive died on a long business trip. I just wanted ANYTHING that would run a web browser, right now, with the minimum of fuss. I used LinuxLiveUsb.com, and didn't have any substantial problems getting it initially set up or getting online using Palemoon. So it worked great as an emergency workaround. I will forever praise the name of Puppy Linux for this.

However, the thread asks why you might decide Puppy Linux is not for you...

1) I had difficulty with Palemoon not rendering some websites in a usable manner (couldn't buy more minutes for my cellphone), and I was delighted to see how easy it was to install chrome, even though it took up a good deal of my 1GB.

2) For such a tiny OS, it came with a whole bunch of software I have no use for. I was working with a very small space, and it is frustrating to see a menu stuffed multiple redundant multimedia programs while I'm trying to pick which 400MB of my personal files I can download. I don't even know how much space that all takes up, which is part of the problem.

I can see that there are certain really basic applications that it is assumed every user would expect to find (a text editor, a file browser, a calculator, etc) but project management software? Seven seemingly redundant tools for CD ripping/burning? HomeBank? Four different calculators? Vector art editor? A GUI for editing BASIC??

My ideal would be something at startup where I could pick which packages to install, arranged nicely in categories like in the QuickPet installer. (I love the QuickPet installer!) Failing that, it'd be helpful if most of the built-in software was actually listed in the package manager. I'm guessing there is a good reason why it isn't, and as a tech I appreciate that, but as an end-user, it is just frustrating.

3) I'm kind of lost without apt-get. So much software installation instructions and so much online linux help assumes you have apt-get. I am not familiar enough with linux to find alternatives.

4) I can't get my favorite text editor to run. (Sublime) This might actually be a deal breaker. I'll ask about it specifically in a support forum, but I mention it because the thing that is likely to push me back to using Lubuntu is that 95% of my issues can be addressed by anyone who knows Ubuntu, and in most cases, have already been addressed. That is what pushed be to Ubuntu from previously using Mint, and I picked Tahrpup because it was listed as an Ubuntu derivative.

5) Puppy will run happily off a USB stick but the info I found all said that I needed to burn it to a CD, and then boot from the CD and install to a USB drive. I don't know if this is even accurate, but it meant I didn't want to try any of the "puplets" not listed on the Linux Live USB site. I think I am going to investigate this further though...

darry1966

#976 Post by darry1966 »

If you want control over what applications you have try this.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96973

JoshuaXD

#977 Post by JoshuaXD »

Thank you! Unicornpup looks interesting. I will check it out.

Burn_IT

#978 Post by Burn_IT »

You need to build your own Puppy.
It is ever so easy as there is a utility to do it.
I can't remember of the top of my head what it is and it is just as easy for you to look it up as me now you know it is there. ;)

RetroTechGuy

#979 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Burn_IT wrote:You need to build your own Puppy.
It is ever so easy as there is a utility to do it.
I can't remember of the top of my head what it is and it is just as easy for you to look it up as me now you know it is there. ;)
Under the menu, select "Setup" then "re-master puppy"...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

666philb

#980 Post by 666philb »

JoshuaXD wrote:I've dabbled in linux, mostly in friendly lightweight distros (lubuntu & mint). I will definitely keep a usb drive with Puppy on it for emergencies, but I don't know if I'd use it when other options were readily available. I'm currently running tahrpup version 6.0.2. I needed something that could run off a 1gb usb drive, when my hard drive died on a long business trip. I just wanted ANYTHING that would run a web browser, right now, with the minimum of fuss. I used LinuxLiveUsb.com, and didn't have any substantial problems getting it initially set up or getting online using Palemoon. So it worked great as an emergency workaround. I will forever praise the name of Puppy Linux for this.

However, the thread asks why you might decide Puppy Linux is not for you...

1) I had difficulty with Palemoon not rendering some websites in a usable manner (couldn't buy more minutes for my cellphone), and I was delighted to see how easy it was to install chrome, even though it took up a good deal of my 1GB.

2) For such a tiny OS, it came with a whole bunch of software I have no use for. I was working with a very small space, and it is frustrating to see a menu stuffed multiple redundant multimedia programs while I'm trying to pick which 400MB of my personal files I can download. I don't even know how much space that all takes up, which is part of the problem.

I can see that there are certain really basic applications that it is assumed every user would expect to find (a text editor, a file browser, a calculator, etc) but project management software? Seven seemingly redundant tools for CD ripping/burning? HomeBank? Four different calculators? Vector art editor? A GUI for editing BASIC??

My ideal would be something at startup where I could pick which packages to install, arranged nicely in categories like in the QuickPet installer. (I love the QuickPet installer!) Failing that, it'd be helpful if most of the built-in software was actually listed in the package manager. I'm guessing there is a good reason why it isn't, and as a tech I appreciate that, but as an end-user, it is just frustrating.

3) I'm kind of lost without apt-get. So much software installation instructions and so much online linux help assumes you have apt-get. I am not familiar enough with linux to find alternatives.

4) I can't get my favorite text editor to run. (Sublime) This might actually be a deal breaker. I'll ask about it specifically in a support forum, but I mention it because the thing that is likely to push me back to using Lubuntu is that 95% of my issues can be addressed by anyone who knows Ubuntu, and in most cases, have already been addressed. That is what pushed be to Ubuntu from previously using Mint, and I picked Tahrpup because it was listed as an Ubuntu derivative.

5) Puppy will run happily off a USB stick but the info I found all said that I needed to burn it to a CD, and then boot from the CD and install to a USB drive. I don't know if this is even accurate, but it meant I didn't want to try any of the "puplets" not listed on the Linux Live USB site. I think I am going to investigate this further though...
hi JoshuaXD

if palemoon isn't rendering a page properly go into the palemoon preferences>>advanced>>certificates>>validation and untick ' OSCP ... reload the page and then turn it back on.
also updating palemoon may fix this menu>>internet>>palemoon updater (currently not working as sourceforge is having problems)

for uninstalling in-built stuff use menu>>>setup>>remove built in packages
however because the puppy.sfs (which contains all of the apps) is a read only file system, the packages aren't actually removed just hidden ... until you remaster puppy to make a new iso .....menu>>>setup>>>remaster puppy live cd

as for the 4 caculators, you're lucky there's only 4! http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66637

once you've booted puppy ...installing multiple pups is easy
this works for harddrives, sdcards and usbs

make a folder on the top layer your hd sd or usb (call it e.g. tahrpup, lucid,slacko whatever)
download a puppy.iso
left click on it to mount it
copy all the files from the iso to the folder on the HD,usb or sdcard
then use menu>>system>>grub4dos
if you're installing to a harddrive just carry on clicking ok ... if it's on a usb or sdcard choose search this partition only (and make sure the boot flag is set ... you can use gparted for this if it isn't)
and that's it installed

add extra folders and repeat for multiple pups.... or just copy the contents of a puppy iso to the folder you've already created and reboot to try a different pup instantly
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331