Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
darry1966

#976 Post by darry1966 »

If you want control over what applications you have try this.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96973

JoshuaXD

#977 Post by JoshuaXD »

Thank you! Unicornpup looks interesting. I will check it out.

Burn_IT

#978 Post by Burn_IT »

You need to build your own Puppy.
It is ever so easy as there is a utility to do it.
I can't remember of the top of my head what it is and it is just as easy for you to look it up as me now you know it is there. ;)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

RetroTechGuy

#979 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Burn_IT wrote:You need to build your own Puppy.
It is ever so easy as there is a utility to do it.
I can't remember of the top of my head what it is and it is just as easy for you to look it up as me now you know it is there. ;)
Under the menu, select "Setup" then "re-master puppy"...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

666philb

#980 Post by 666philb »

JoshuaXD wrote:I've dabbled in linux, mostly in friendly lightweight distros (lubuntu & mint). I will definitely keep a usb drive with Puppy on it for emergencies, but I don't know if I'd use it when other options were readily available. I'm currently running tahrpup version 6.0.2. I needed something that could run off a 1gb usb drive, when my hard drive died on a long business trip. I just wanted ANYTHING that would run a web browser, right now, with the minimum of fuss. I used LinuxLiveUsb.com, and didn't have any substantial problems getting it initially set up or getting online using Palemoon. So it worked great as an emergency workaround. I will forever praise the name of Puppy Linux for this.

However, the thread asks why you might decide Puppy Linux is not for you...

1) I had difficulty with Palemoon not rendering some websites in a usable manner (couldn't buy more minutes for my cellphone), and I was delighted to see how easy it was to install chrome, even though it took up a good deal of my 1GB.

2) For such a tiny OS, it came with a whole bunch of software I have no use for. I was working with a very small space, and it is frustrating to see a menu stuffed multiple redundant multimedia programs while I'm trying to pick which 400MB of my personal files I can download. I don't even know how much space that all takes up, which is part of the problem.

I can see that there are certain really basic applications that it is assumed every user would expect to find (a text editor, a file browser, a calculator, etc) but project management software? Seven seemingly redundant tools for CD ripping/burning? HomeBank? Four different calculators? Vector art editor? A GUI for editing BASIC??

My ideal would be something at startup where I could pick which packages to install, arranged nicely in categories like in the QuickPet installer. (I love the QuickPet installer!) Failing that, it'd be helpful if most of the built-in software was actually listed in the package manager. I'm guessing there is a good reason why it isn't, and as a tech I appreciate that, but as an end-user, it is just frustrating.

3) I'm kind of lost without apt-get. So much software installation instructions and so much online linux help assumes you have apt-get. I am not familiar enough with linux to find alternatives.

4) I can't get my favorite text editor to run. (Sublime) This might actually be a deal breaker. I'll ask about it specifically in a support forum, but I mention it because the thing that is likely to push me back to using Lubuntu is that 95% of my issues can be addressed by anyone who knows Ubuntu, and in most cases, have already been addressed. That is what pushed be to Ubuntu from previously using Mint, and I picked Tahrpup because it was listed as an Ubuntu derivative.

5) Puppy will run happily off a USB stick but the info I found all said that I needed to burn it to a CD, and then boot from the CD and install to a USB drive. I don't know if this is even accurate, but it meant I didn't want to try any of the "puplets" not listed on the Linux Live USB site. I think I am going to investigate this further though...
hi JoshuaXD

if palemoon isn't rendering a page properly go into the palemoon preferences>>advanced>>certificates>>validation and untick ' OSCP ... reload the page and then turn it back on.
also updating palemoon may fix this menu>>internet>>palemoon updater (currently not working as sourceforge is having problems)

for uninstalling in-built stuff use menu>>>setup>>remove built in packages
however because the puppy.sfs (which contains all of the apps) is a read only file system, the packages aren't actually removed just hidden ... until you remaster puppy to make a new iso .....menu>>>setup>>>remaster puppy live cd

as for the 4 caculators, you're lucky there's only 4! http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66637

once you've booted puppy ...installing multiple pups is easy
this works for harddrives, sdcards and usbs

make a folder on the top layer your hd sd or usb (call it e.g. tahrpup, lucid,slacko whatever)
download a puppy.iso
left click on it to mount it
copy all the files from the iso to the folder on the HD,usb or sdcard
then use menu>>system>>grub4dos
if you're installing to a harddrive just carry on clicking ok ... if it's on a usb or sdcard choose search this partition only (and make sure the boot flag is set ... you can use gparted for this if it isn't)
and that's it installed

add extra folders and repeat for multiple pups.... or just copy the contents of a puppy iso to the folder you've already created and reboot to try a different pup instantly
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

jcbyrne

hi

#981 Post by jcbyrne »

hi to all puppy linux users.....just to recommend something, for newbies like me.. I prefer to use the release of puppy in which the dependencies are pre-installed.. Coz tahrpup 6.0.2 's vlc just wont start in video playing, it suddenly stops... :wink: , so excited to have the new puppy releases..

ykantor

bilingual installation- not so friendly

#982 Post by ykantor »

I found this post : adding extra language and keyboard switch at will (user: saintless) which is very helpful.

It could have been easier, if the 2nd step "options" would be a direct continuation of the 1st step "Main" , since it is a must in my opinion. i.e If one add keyboard layout, he is usually interested in a keyboard switch at will .

puppyisperfect

Puppy Is PERFECT

#983 Post by puppyisperfect »

Puppy Is the best and fastest OS I have seen it was easy to install/use.So Far I have already used it to disinfect this PC and a Laptop and it has inspired me to do all of the things I'm doing today and to try new things.In my opinion Puppy Linux is better than Windows,Ubuntu,Linux Mint and every other linux distro out there javascript:opener.emoticon(':D') .So a great thanks to Barry Kauler for creating this amazing OS and (though I don't know much javascript:opener.emoticon(':oops:') ) I'd like to try and help Puppy Linux as much as I can.

himu555

best os

#984 Post by himu555 »

SLACKO PUPPY is the best os I have ever seen.
THANK FOR THE developer :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

himu555

touch pad prob

#985 Post by himu555 »

If I open my compter after a long time touchpad and keybpard not works correctly.After first boot its ok. Why? please solve

dogle

#986 Post by dogle »

himu555, welcome to the kennels!

I'm very pleased that you are enjoying Puppy, and want to thank you for following the advice at the beginning of this thread to ask about individual technical problems (assuming a search of this forum has not given you the right answer) in a new thread, as I see you have done. (This thread is just for comments - especially the negative ones! - which may help the developers propel Puppy to new heights).

Message to all newcomers:-

1 - Please don't be shy about asking for help in a new thread, if your problem has not already been solved in this forum (we've all been there!).

2 - Please, please take note of bigpup's stickied thread in this section, and if asking for help give full background information on the computer you are using, likewise exact version of Puppy. This makes it so much easier for folks to give you a better and more swift response, and is appreciated.

3 - Don't worry, even for a moment, if the forum language is not your natural one - just go ahead and post as best you can.

We all speak Puppy here!

himu555

#987 Post by himu555 »

t :wink: :roll: thanks

uio

Works great, looks terrible

#988 Post by uio »

I read this recently :

'The Puppy desktop, with JWM and the ROX-Filer window manager, is configured for a retro Windows 9x look-and-feel. This was deliberate, to make "Windows refugees" feel at home -- particularly those who have used Windows 95 and 98 and never made it to XP. However, the 9x look and feel is only superficial, and under the hood there is heaps of power and convenient features.
Some people have told me that they were initially put off by the "Windowish" look of it, or by the "bland" appearance. Invariably though, they found the user interface to be superb after using it for awhile.'
http://www.puppylinux.com/faq.htm

Even Barry seems to agree that Puppy has a .... certain look.
While it may have made sense to have a retro look back when Puppy was made, now Windows refugees will not feel at home because they are used to something that looks far more modern.

Puppy works... if you can navigate menus and so on. And the desktop can look rather cluttered with all the icons. The default wallpapers are kind of oldish I must say.

I mean, unfortunately, for many the appearance is just as important as the function. And often, good looks can enhance or direct to the good function.

Voilà....

So I wish Puppy looked better. Quite simply. I think it could look awesome and still work just as well. Just update the themes and icons and wallpapers ! I think that, with a more modern look, more would consider using it. A lightweight, functional eyesore is still an eyesore !

But all that said, Puppy works so well that I intend to use it as my main distro this year !

I did however, remove all the icons, set the panel to auto-hide, download new wallpaper and set up keyboard shortcuts so as to avoid seeing too much 'retro'.

uio

metastasis69

#989 Post by metastasis69 »

I have been using Puppy Linux for a while and I have started around puppy 4.x and I'm a big fan until now. This saves me a lot of money using my old computers and making them workable again. As a show of support to this amazing software. I have written several blogs and reviews to promote this amazing software to all other newbies. I'm looking forward to new releases of this new and amazing piece of software.
www.reverbnation.com/severemetastasis, http://www.bitlanders.com/metal-joe

deliberatus

newbie wants to help

#990 Post by deliberatus »

Neubie, novice at linux, weants to help. Managed to wipe XP off my aspire one netpbook with 800 Mhz Atom, got it honking fast with TahrPuppy full install. OPK, I do admit to RTFM a bit... So, can you use a FNG :shock: to help somehow?
:?:

giggle at me at kbailey@howlermonkey.net

RetroTechGuy

Re: newbie wants to help

#991 Post by RetroTechGuy »

deliberatus wrote:Neubie, novice at linux, weants to help. Managed to wipe XP off my aspire one netpbook with 800 Mhz Atom, got it honking fast with TahrPuppy full install. OPK, I do admit to RTFM a bit... So, can you use a FNG :shock: to help somehow?
:?:
Of course you can.

Poke around here a little, try some searches for past discussions -- use the "WellMinded Search" link in my sig.

And lastly come here and pick a title (click on the "New Topic" button below) that tells the reader what your question/problem is -- then fill in some more detail. This is probably one of the best user groups you are likely to find. These guys ROCK! :-)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=2
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Sweet Baby Jamie

Do Puppies Expire?

#992 Post by Sweet Baby Jamie »

I am a newbie and grabbed the latest version (Tahr), but I see older versions - much older ones - still available for download. Don't they expire after some time? Like most distros, don't they reach end-of-life at some point? How are they updated?

And which Puppy to adopt with so many out there is a question too. I would suggest some sort of sticky or wiki to address that for those of us who are brand new.

Which Puppy to Adopt?

According to:
  • hardware compatibility,

user's experience and background (new to Linux or kinda sorta experienced or expert),

required applications,

etc
I just chose Tahr because it uses Ubuntu repositories (so lots of software available) and because Ubuntu is somewhat familiar to me, and because it's the newest Puppy. But newest isn't always best. My computer has 512 RAM and TahrPup doesn't seem to mind so far. It's happy and seems to have plenty of room to run and play. I'm loving Puppy so far, but how to choose the right Puppy was the first question I had, and I've only guessed at it.

Precise looks like a nice healthy Puppy too, but will it expire when Ubuntu 12.04 reaches end-of-life? Which ones are Ubuntu-based? Which Puppies are Debian-based? Slackware based? Are there Fedora-based Puppies and SUSE-based Puppies? What are the differences?

Please make some kind of guide to help a newbie pick the right Puppy!

darry1966

#993 Post by darry1966 »

Short answer to older pups - no, because they are still of use on old computers.

rufwoof

#994 Post by rufwoof »

Upgrades can sometimes mean that some things stop working, or work in a different way to what you're used to, such that you spend more time focusing upon the tool than the job in hand.

Once you have a puppy that works well with your hardware and helps you do the jobs you need to do, then changing the tool (pup) is just inviting problems/difficulties.

I boot puppy frugally (ram) with no savefile. The exact same copy each and every time like it was a fresh install. If I need to preserve a change I remaster (which using my own remaster script takes seconds). Everything else, data, docs etc I store outside of puppy.

I'll 'upgrade' when my hardware is changed. Not that I don't also try out other pup's - for fun. But return to my preferred pup when work has to be done.

With a fixed core pup that boots the exact same each and every time, setup the way you like it, then corruption or a virus during any one session is undone by a simple reboot. Frugal, no save file rules IMO. The easiest way to get close to that with other pups is to frugal install (install grub4dos on HDD and setup the pup in that) adding the pmedia=ataflash boot parameter as that will add a 'save' icon to the desktop. Then inside pup navigate to menu, system, pup event manager and open the savefile tab and set the save interval to 0 (never autosave) and 'ask at shutdown' if that option is available as that way the only time a save occurs is whenever you click the desktop 'save' button (assuming you answer no to the save prompt if prompted when shutting down).

On other pups it might be something like adding pfix=ram pmedia=ataflash as the boot parameter and answering NO when shutting down, unless you want to actually preserve changes.

If you start mixing in data/docs inside puppy space then you force yourself to have to save, better IMO to separate the two and have pup read only (with the added benefit of that being easily changed if required).

darry1966

#995 Post by darry1966 »

Yes totally with Anitaos my 4.31/4.12 update I used a barebones iso and updated it and left the browser out so you could update Browser and keep same iso. As for other programs latest and the greatest is not necessary like mp3 players etc. Older versions work just as well. :D