Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 01 Nov 2014, 00:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Puppy 4.2.1 Final
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 8 [111 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 00:00    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Question.  

mattst8ler wrote:
I just downloaded 4.2.1 and put it on my uncle's old computer. It truly is a beautiful piece of work! Thank you to all that have worked so hard to achieve such a great distro.

I am still running 4.1.2 on my own computer. Is anyone aware of any problems that I might encounter upgrading to 4.2.1 and using my existing pupsave file? Presently I just run Puppy from CD and have the pupsave on my hard drive.

Thanks again for the hard work!

well be on the safe side, right click on your pupsave and copy it, rename it anything like safekeeping.sss then it won't load on bootup, then all you do is rename it back to what it was before if you need it.
ttuuxxx

James C

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 00:02    Post subject:  

Looks great so far.Thanks to WhoDo and everyone who participated in the development of 4.2.1. Especially Ttuuxxx who put in countless hours trying to make everyone happy!
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 00:13    Post subject:  

Thanks James C, Smile
It was a great Group effort and wouldn't of been done without everyone who helped, sure I did my part, but lets not forget about Whodo,coolpup, aragon, pizzasgood, tempestuous, and new ones like Patriot, etc maybe of 20 of us:) and when you get that many people working on one goal, its going to be good Smile I feel we did a excellent group effort Smile Cheers Guys Wink
ttuuxxx

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 00:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
everyone who participated

Click on help and release notes to see the team Smile
- as far as I know, no easter eggs in Puppy (though there may be in individual packages) . . .

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 00:50    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
everyone who participated

Click on help and release notes to see the team Smile
- as far as I know, no easter eggs in Puppy (though there may be in individual packages) . . .

try this in seamonkey url
about:buildconfig
Smile ttuuxxx

FriedelBumm

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 04:12    Post subject: Re: thanks
Subject description: Puppy is great, but no wifi on my EEE 701G

Quote:

In my eeePC 701, 4.2.x has been looking crisp and responding quickly (with the added extras by tempestuous), so nothing to complain, really.

My EEE 701G runs quickly and stable (sometimes firefox crashes, but it's probably a flash problem) in 4.2.0, but the upgrade to 4.2.1 doesn't find the ath0 wifi device. I didn't tested with the devx-sfs, but any eee-extras take effect. - I'm happy that the downgrade with my pup_save was no problem.
mindmagic

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 05:20    Post subject:  

I tried the retro version of 4.2.1 yesterday; it failed to find my Zyxel USB wifi adapter, which is no problem in earler standard versions (I haven't tried retro before). I was about to try 4.2.1 standard, but having read some of the other posts I think I'm probably better off sticking to 4.2.
Crash

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 10:47    Post subject:  

Time line to install Puppy version 4.21 final:

0713 Create new p421f subdirectory and download the .iso file
............Edit menu.lst during download.
............Download md5sum file during download.
0725 Verify md5sum.
0726 Extract Puppy files from .iso.
0728 Reboot, try new menu.lst entry.
0729 Edit typo in menu.lst.
0734 Reboot
0736 Splash screen is up.

23 minutes from start to finish, including the download and troubleshooting the menu.lst entry.

Up and running. Looks good!
jackieflorida

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 14:12    Post subject: 4.2.1 PDF Printer Installation: Solved
Subject description: See my post above and rcrsn51's reply above in this thread.

Thanks rcrsn51 for your comments. The code is helpful; I knew only about "doc2pdf" which does not work on a ps file. The code works nicely.

I found that the default ps file viewer will "Save A Copy" as pdf which is a nice quick and easy conversion too. Nicely, the postscript printer is native. For the beginners: just click on PrintToFile in the printing operation.

Recognizing these work-arounds, I still wanted to print directly to a pdf file. I use pdf's a lot which seems to annoy some of my friends! But anyway....

I went back to one of my computers running 4.1.1 that has the native pdf printer that works so well for me and found the pdf driver: ghostpdf.ppd . I then took a copy of this file on a flash drive to my 4.2.1 computer, invoked the CUPS new printer installation for a pdf printer and pointed the installer to this ppd file and completed the installation.

It works and, if you don't want to dig around in an older 4.x, you can download it here : http://www.box.net/shared/rqkjsu0tov

So with much thanks to WhoDo et.al., my 4.2.1 installation is a keeper and a beautiful one too!

I was pleased to find that the Gadmin-rsync backup utility in now fully functional allowing more than one backup configuration. For me in earlier 4.x it would freeze when applying a second configuration. This is a great backup tool that I use daily like the pdf printer but more.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 24 May 2009, 15:26    Post subject:  

Quote:
I went back to one of my computers running 4.1.1 that has the native pdf printer that works so well for me and found the pdf driver: ghostpdf.ppd . I then took a copy of this file on a flash drive to my 4.2.1 computer, invoked the CUPS new printer installation for a pdf printer and pointed the installer to this ppd file and completed the installation.

Nice work! I had not thought of trying anything so simple.
rarsa

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 16:30    Post subject:  

WhoDo,

Great job coordinating and bringing this job to completion.

Thanks to all the people that contributed to a very successful Puppy CE

It was a long road but I am sure you can look back and think it was worth it.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 16:51    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
Pizzasgood wrote:
Any kind of timeline on the 4.2.1 Unleashed packages? Wink

Unleashed core for 4.2.1 is now up. New and updated .pet packages have already been uploaded too.

Pizzasgood wrote:
Oh, and don't forget the devx_421.sfs (yes I know it will be almost the same as devx_420.sfs, and I will be using that for the interim...).

In the process of uploading as I post this response.

Am I done now? Razz Laughing
Yup. Thanks! My sister says thanks too.

Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 20:03    Post subject:  Thanks
Subject description: GOOD JOB

Thanks WHODO... and ttuuxxx and ... all who contributed!

FOR ALL THE HARD work and perseverance..., some days.. well... but the end results worth the efforts. On to bigger and better things.

GOOD JOB to all.
Greg
trio

PostPosted: Mon 25 May 2009, 22:24    Post subject:  

open up a bottle of champagne, and let's ask ecomoney to join the celebration... Laughing
ecomoney

PostPosted: Tue 26 May 2009, 08:37    Post subject:  

Yes...Ive been putting off posting here, thinking of the "best" thing to say....

Quote:
During his efforts to invent the light bulb, a reporter came to him [Thomas Edison] and asked, "How many times are you going to fail at creating the light bulb?" Mr. Edison turned and looked at the reporter and said, "Son, I haven't failed! I've simply discovered another way not to invent the light bulb!"

The real achievement of 4.2.1 was not in producing the ISO, but in finding the way of producing the ISO. We now have a basic bug-tracking system and a set of guidelines for testing. There is also a renewed focus around the forum on Puppies Mission statement, and a clarification of where Puppy Linux's place is in the whole Linux "ecosystem", along with an Extremely welcome focus on Puppies looks/theme which has been overdue for a very long time. We are a lot better set up IMHO for BarryK's inevitable retirement and continuing the project without (so much of) his guidance.

Its no secret I believe it was detrimental to Puppies reputation to leave a distro with broken core functions (WP, CUPS) up for so long. This release would have been better named 4.2.2, 4.2.1 being a hastily released 4.2.0 with a regressed Abiword and CUPS. from 4.1.2 while we got these problems sorted out (its not like the fixes wernt available, just not released. I realise now that my own protestations about this, through the psychology of the people in charge, was counterproductive in this getting fixed on a speedier basis.

I put a lot of time into 4.2.1 - as a result my Company earnings(and its website) are down, its bank account overdrawn, and if I dont do something soon about my paperwork its going to get struck off at the register of companies. My other IRL projects are also behind schedule. In terms of the "Collective Wisdom" in developing Puppy in the future I consider it one of Ecomoney Systems Ltd's most productive periods ever....the Company Secretary disagrees Laughing Im going to have to take some "time off" now to catch up.

Kudos to WhoDo, Ttuuxxx and everyone else for sticking with the project and producing the "no-fun" bugfixed version. Smile

Woof Woof and Champagne all round.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
Page 3 of 8 [111 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: