Jaunty Puppy Alpha9 feedback

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
rhadon

#16 Post by rhadon »

@ bugman

further information you can get here

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

`f00

090719-updated post

#17 Post by `f00 »

___090719___uP476std (Xorg and Xvesa, slight return)
a series of full-size screenies for the bandwidth-profligate from the wm-collection ..
afterstep 288k, blackbox 123k, openbox 195k, jwm-no-Supup 524k and finally jwm-beta 242k
.. afterstep had a few issues menu-wise, blackbox simply 'just works' (enough so that I modded the Spiff style a bit), the newer openbox does a good job of updating the xdg-menu (finally). Jwm in Xorg reverts to the Supup bg on a fresh session boot from liveCD (in Xvesa it doesn't, likewise no issue with jwm menu/tray/header icons/not depending on 16/24 color depth) .. don't know enough about the drawing engines (qiv is a bit quicker at rendering than xli in jwms, enough so that I used it for a 'preload' so conky gets the bg to render a pseudotrans effect without needing any delay) .. there's something with the timing and PuppyPin in Xorg, qiv flashes the desired bg on a cold boot and then the 'custom' PuppyPin0 gets rewritten to point to Supup's default.jpg (which must be somewhere lower in the layers since I've overwritten it a few times) and a fresh set of rox/home, driveicons and trash arrayed as if for an 800x600 display size .. on my usual 1024x768. Other than that minor jwm display puzzlement at cold boot in Xorg, it all seems to be fairly stable as far as I can tell from my limited use.

I seem to recall also that the 'disappearing' pmount gui issue was addressed at some point but the solution reference if it did get solved eludes me at the moment (somewhere in BK's blog?). Noticed in the pP417 bugs thread that the annoying 'two-step' behavior - left click on a mounted-status driveicon brings up a yaf-dialogue rather than simply opening a Rox window for that drive .. yep, that's annoying for those of us in the habit of rightclick,etc to unmount.

___090531___upup-476std with Xorg (minor addition)
Jwm 'no icons' issue - reducing the color depth from 24 to 16 (as per floborg's page 4 post) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, Section "Screen" is a viable workaround. Unfortunately this will also make finer gradients 'blocky' so it's kind of a compromise.

AfterStep wm is fine with all icons in 24 depth, so I'm thinking it has to do with what engine Jwm is using to draw with and perhaps how it's set up or interacts?

sidenote on xorgwizard - this utility is not so good for me as a means of tweaking in some instances, it gives higher results than my choices such as display size (it's probably ok as a simple Xorg/Xvesa switch or to navigate to edit xorg.conf while out of X) since it seems to have some difficulty with lower display sizes for me. Reading up a bit on Lobster's page 3 link helps a bit ..

___090527___upup-476 std and IDE(retro)
Made a bunch of notes but it boils down to 476-IDE(retro) simply is more stable for me.

Xorg - was even able to get into (in retro), but too much fiddling for minor gains and some drawbacks - more of the enhanced jwm would be nice but it needs to be compiled in I'd imagine to work proper since older betas failed for me (didn't notice any change with the jwm-456-i386.pet and the earlier beta with translucent option cleared the 'usual' Rox wallpaper and driveicons as well as the jwm window decor, menus and trays .. good thing ctrl+alt+bs worked ;) ). Xorg works but as noted by others the jwm menu-icons all fail (mimes, desktop, context & etc all oki but that's all gtk I believe.. all 'interior' and pinboard stuff). Hmm, I'd say jwm looks to be the culprit (icons in dock section of tray are the *only* 'exception' unless that smallish area is gtk) .. no mainmenu, header or tray icons. Blackbox seemed a bit crisper but it's pretty much icon-free. Didn't get a chance to try with AfterStep (which has its own icons and display methods).

.. full-size screenies for upup-476IDE(retro)-289k and upup-476standard-506k

. . . addenda on .sfs/.2fs click-mounting
upup-476 will successfully click-mount/unmount 'other' upup sfs(s) and .2fs savefile(s), but has an anomaly doing so with 'normal' pup sfs(s). It reports a "fail", but the mount-as-such is still present in /mnt (Rox window).. this may result in issues with removeable drives (optical media and thumbdrives, etc) and/or the driveicons or other parts of pup-event management. Dunno, I was a bit more careful with removing the failed mount-as-such item(s) after I noticed them (it may have even contributed to how upup-476std got bollixed on an optical driveicon/mounter for me).

note - used the xdelta to make the 476std iso from 471, but did it the 'old-fashioned' way (since a rename of how I had to save the renamed-as-downloaded-in-win32 wasn't working in pups) .. the xdelta-created iso md5 matches the published md5 for 476std. Thanks again, BK :)

@bugman - there's a wikipage for xdelta ('old fashioned' way if the new ui's a no-go for ya, I just do the dotpet in whatever pup is handy and follow the fairly simple cl instructions - hth)
vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used (switched in BIOS), PCI
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCDrw (both)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection

… my previous upup-461 & 471 tests, fwtw nbusw …
Last edited by `f00 on Sun 19 Jul 2009, 23:53, edited 5 times in total.

Minnesota

alpha 9 calc - Print

#18 Post by Minnesota »

If you select the print option of Calc - Gnumeric...it really hangs things up...(regular upup-746.iso version)

Second booting I was able to kill gnumeric, and the blank print screen, but first time could not even kill it... it also hangs the machine.. no other icons on the desktop will function.

Right click on desktop not functional, F12 did get me main menu.. but restart x did not solve the problem either... bad hang...

Print in Abiword works fine, print in draw bring up print screen, did not try printer.

Tried to test another system, has wireless keyboard... can not enter a thing... hangs at request for language.

Fancy desktop :) Much more interesting than flat grays...

Greg

Technical question... with systems that have a lot of memory.. is it possible to double buffer the reading of the sfs file to speed loading? Or is it totally a function of the speed of the CD rom or DVD read?

bugman

#19 Post by bugman »

well, alpha 8 worked great, i am one of those that LIKE the flat gray theme

[thanks, barry, for putting montana in the time zone list :D ]

will try to do some weird tasks and such when i have some time, was surprised that there were apps and such, thought it would be more like tcl or arch [because i am NOT paying attention]

the delta upgrade file completely eluded me, it did nothing at all when clicked or run in a terminal, i must be misreading/misunderstanding something? :(

dogone

upup-471 and 476 - xorg fails on Dell 8200

#20 Post by dogone »

Booting either upup471 or 476 on my Dell 8200 with Nvidia N11 (Geforce2 MX) video, xorg does not run or runs and stalls. At the point of test in xorgwizard during boot, the screen goes black and keyboard/mouse control is lost. I have to hard power-down. Xvesa works fine. If I then run xorgwizard from the desktop, it likewise fails at the point of "test". Instead of a black screen, a scambled screen apears and all control is lost. I can't see standard out/error in either case.

Xorg in Puppy 4.2.1, 4.2 and 4.1.2 works fine on this Dell.

prit1

#21 Post by prit1 »

Everytime, I have to reconnect my wireless upon bootup. It does not detect the wireless consistently. The saved profile is not being loaded on bootup.

Other than the above, I loved the simple theme and all other stuff that I use in Puppy - like Abiword, GFtp and browser work fine.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

bugman

#22 Post by bugman »

posting from alpha 8 live cd

don't normally use live cd so don't know if this is excessive [but it's feeling mighty slow]

Code: Select all

# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       384724       379252         5472            0        54268
 Swap:      1052216         1528      1050688
Total:      1436940       380780      1056160
open apps for above are dialer, seamonkey, gxine [playin' dylan] and of course, rxvt

printed a page w/ cups from abiword, epson stylee

scanned the inside of my epson usb lid [sane has occasionally been a problem for me but has worked nicely in all recent pups]

will install to hard drive and report back[/quote]

paulh177

#23 Post by paulh177 »

slightly weird/random:

If i try to compile xchat 2.8.6 under the upup alpha 9 the make dies.

However it has compiled perfectly well with all the other puppies including all previous alpha woofs (including those i've built myself using the build scripts)

bugman

#24 Post by bugman »

now running in frugal install, but still sluggish, and the usage is nearly as bad:

# free
  Mem:       384724       369848        14876            0        52660
 Swap:      1052216          768      1051448
Total:      1436940       370616      1066324
# 
same apps, swapped dylan for fela kuti [no help there]

should try a full install, so I can compare with my regular setup . . .

bugman

#25 Post by bugman »

posting from a full install, same apps

# free
  Mem:       384724       208540       176184            0         8516
 Swap:      1052216            0      1052216
Total:      1436940       208540      1228400
#
so this is better, i suppose an artifact of the install

still wondering about the delta thingie

everything seems to be working great, so???

bugman

#26 Post by bugman »

okay, back in 4.12, this is not so good--terminal, dialer, sylpheed, firefox, gxine [note there is one EXTRA app and firefox instead of wetmonkey]

# free
  Mem:       385852       149968       235884            0         5396
 Swap:      1052216            0      1052216
Total:      1438068       149968      1288100
# 
perhaps it's gxine playing the low-resource prince jammy? i think nuh

why is woof eating so much ram?

and where is the delta_gui?

Jim1911

#27 Post by Jim1911 »

Update on the bug fix of ext4 partitions not being detected by upup471.

Great job, the problem is corrected. Using clean frugal installations of both the upup476ide.iso and the upup476.iso, an ext4 partition is detected and can be mounted read/write. Also, Gparted 4.4 properly detects all partitions including the ext4 partition.

Updating pup-save files is a problem. Updating a pup-save file created by 471, with the upup476.iso, pmount cannot detect or mount the ext4 partition. When updating a copy of the same pup-save file with the upup476ide.iso, ext4 is detected and can be mounted. Gparted locks up with both iso.

Thanks,
Jim

System: Dell Dimension 8250, Pent 4 at 2.40GHz, 1.5GB ram, 128 MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card with TV-out and DVI, Soundblaster Live with 5.1 audio, Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One, Printer-Scanner-Copier

WhoDo

Whoa!

#28 Post by WhoDo »

Just downloaded and installed Upup2 "Jaunty Pup" (upup-476) in preparation for testing Puppy 5.x applications submitted prior to uploading.

On my relatively new ASUS Pro50G series laptop, Pentium T3400 dual core, nVidia Glx graphics and Intel HDA sound I have observed the following from the very first boot:

1. Sound WORKS! :shock: I haven't succeeded in getting sound working on this laptop in Puppy (always worked in Vista and Mint), but Jaunty barked at me straight away! Yeehah!

2. My widescreen 1280x800 actually works too! 8) Previous Xorg drivers identified 1024x768 as the graphics chip maximum on this machine. Pooh to that!

3. Had a problem umounting a drive mounted with the event manager. More on this after more testing. :?

4. My USB Logitech mouse works fine. :D

In celebration I downloaded a couple of GPL Jaunty wallpapers from gnome-look.org and switched to Smooth colour icons. One happy camper here so far! :arrow:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

reckrhodes

#29 Post by reckrhodes »

After installing the Gcompris, it works but no sound. (but video streaming in yahoo works fine)

Tried installing synaptic, some files were installed.

Typing synaptic command on the terminal an error was displayed.

"error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.9-6.so.4.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

How to make synaptic package to work in jaunty puppy?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#30 Post by Flash »

Downloaded upup-476.iso and burned it to two different DVD+RW disks using Burniso2cd.

DVD+RW #1: This disk previously had Woof alfa 5. I had booted it in my big computer before burning Woof alfa 9 to it, so that when I shut down (choosing to save) alfa 5 would be upgraded to alfa 9. When I booted it after the upgrade the background was psychedelic. The upgrade had changed the default background. Cool. 8)

A few days ago I tried to rip some CDs and convert them to mp3, with Pcdripper in Woof alfa 5 in this big machine, without success. What happened was Pcdripper instantly went to the "Do you want to rip another CD?" as soon as I clicked Go. It didn't rip or convert anything. This had happened before when I had spaces in the path to the save directory, but there were no spaces or other forbidden characters in the path this time, as far as I could see. After upgrading alfa 5 to alfa 9, Pcdripper did the same thing in the big machine. I booted a 4.1.2 DVD in the big machine, and Pcdripper ripped the CD without any problem.

DVD+RW #2: This disk also had Woof alfa 5, but with different settings saved, for a different computer without a hard disk drive. When I shut down after burning Woof alfa 9 to it, the special Puppy background I had chosen for Woof alfa 5 in this computer was kept. No psychedelic background for this Puppy. :)

Now it gets interesting. Pcdripper in Woof alfa 9 rips CDs fine in this computer, but with an odd thing: the "Free" indicator in the lower right does not change, even as /tmp fills up with 95 MB of mp3 files.

Note that the computer in which Pcdripper worked has no hard disk. Everything is in RAM. The big computer has several hard disks, and they are formatted NTFS so that Windows can share with Puppy.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

mawebb88

EeePC901 & upup alpha9

#31 Post by mawebb88 »

Good news. WiFi works out of the box (WPK on ra0/rt2860sta) with a frugal install of upup-476 on my EeePC901 (did not work with previous upups)

The Package Manager configuration does not wok correctly for me. I choose up to 5 radio buttons (as it advises) but the tabs which appear (or rather not appear) seems somewhat random with great difficulty in getting any of the puppy x official ones to appear.

Rgds Mike

Forgot to add I also installed Atomix from the Jaunty repo with no problems.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

in the previous Alpha I was able to tweak the Xorg settings to get my max monitor resolution. Not so this version.
Maybe I will find some clues here:
http://tuxradar.com/content/modify-xorg ... erformance
So I changed to Vesa and got the max resolution that way :)
Valide (using devx) was crashing on me - I believe there is a later version that is more stable. However I was able to code genie from the command line.
Also noticed 3 different search programs and be interested which people prefer?
Also do people 'trim the fat' when installing packages - do you notice a difference?
Also the pctorrent downloader . . . Does it work? I find transmission in 4.2.1 works but have had no luck with pctorrent How about you?

Just like to say that for day to day use I boot into 4.2.1
To be on the cutting edge the Alpha 9 is great fun and already very usable 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 24 May 2009, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#33 Post by 01micko »

Hi Lobster
Also do people 'trim the fat' when installing packages - do you notice a difference?
If you get a package from the Puppy repos then no, these are usually trimmed already. But if getting the package from the Jaunty repos then yes. There are usually helpfiles and dev files that are not needed, but be warned: due to Puppy's skinny nature, if you download packages from the Jaunty repos they may require many dependencies, these should be taken care of by Petget... (is that fancy new package manager still called Petget? It can get other formats too.)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#34 Post by Flash »

An update on my earlier post

When I first tried to use Pawdioconverter in Woof alfa 9 in the Windows computer that wouldn't run Pcdripper, it would not go. Pawdioconverter would go to the final step before it actually began ripping and converting, then stop there, without a console window showing or anything happening. What finally made it work was to choose the option to convert in the background, without the console window.

If there's a similar option in Pcdripper, not to show the rxvt window while ripping, I'll try that soon in the Windows machine that won't run Pcdripper in Woof but will in earlier versions of Puppy.

Edit: Pcdripper does not have the option to not show the console while it's running. :(

mysticmarks

#35 Post by mysticmarks »

failed downloading busybox pet specified within woof a9. It did not exist, nor did the specified linux kernel(the v4 ticks you spoke of in blog). I can manually correct my own, but figure there was a reason for this. minimal others, this was the based on a ubuntu distro_specs setup. I saw that you sh#!canned the others whilst you work, faac fails to dl for debian, but is fine in ubuntu. You can dl the faac for debian from main deb repo. I think i can plow ahead with the debian and slack issues, but want (and feel it makes sense) to use the exact same kernel as you for now. You should do a side by side of the deb and ubuntu builds. i was unsided upfront, but now have taken the debian base side. i built a7 deb and used the upup matching release. three test systems, deb loaded and ran better. Maybe a hybridized deb/ubuntu? ubuntu has plowed ahead on peripherial support, which has given it a good edge in that reguard. That was only due to the financial backing of Canocial. maybe puppy could be used as a way to backport the ubuntu updates to debian repos? It would be a great way to stiffen up debian again, right? Or better yet, pet both of the best in both realms, and obsolete the giant builds for one of a finer repose ;) arf arf!